• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 Books in 2024
3 3

206 posts in this topic

Read Usagi Yojimbo volume 4 (179 pages from UY 13-18 volume 1).

"The Dragon Bellow Conspiracy" is my favorite Usagi storyline that I've read.  Wonderful story and art full of action.

Bounty hunter Murikami Gennosuke looses his horn in combat with the blind warrior pig Zato Ino.

UsagiGenIno_20240104-082746.png.2c5388bf4484d64bfd875b1046458e92.png

UsagiGenHorn_20240104-082830.png.12b7cb95fda99b4868af4905bb1a3831.png

And the story builds to an explosive climax.

UsagiGadoom_20240104-085743.png.234c3788435c9aeb168308c7e837b533.png

Read Usagi Yojimbo volume 6 (163 pages from UY 25-31 and Critters 50).

Circles storyline follows Usagi and his journey back home and his discovery that his sensei he thought dead is still alive.

UsagiKatsuichi_20240106-053204.thumb.png.4986fe79e14c7ca4be04b6030550e7fe.png

Lots of touching tales like The Duel and Usagi's relationship with his old flame Mariko.

On 1/6/2024 at 4:36 PM, rlextherobot said:

I don't think Jack Kirby ever wrote a sentence of dialogue  that didn't end in an exclamation point.

Let's not forget all of those signature "air quotes" as well.

What do you do when you REALLY enjoy one of the omnibus' you've had for years, comprised of comics you bought as they came out but never read? Why, you reread it! So that's just what I did with MOTU Omnibus from DC. Great stories, carried over well by a handful of writers (if only all events were handled this slickly) from issue to issue, with everything from pickings from the 80's to Moderns? 

Fun, fun stuff, and I'm already looking forward to my second reread, whenever that may be. For now though, I bid it farewell, and join the board at 68 books for the year so far. A solid start. 

On 1/7/2024 at 5:28 PM, Cat said:

! So that's just what I did with MOTU Omnibus from DC

Took me a good half minute to decipher this as ‘Masters of the Universe’.

On 1/7/2024 at 5:19 PM, rlextherobot said:

And the abuse of hyphens to end sentences -- 

He was a law unto himself.

Currently reading a couple of fairly long runs.

On 1/8/2024 at 4:09 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Took me a good half minute to decipher this as ‘Masters of the Universe’.

Oops, yes, sorry. Too much toy talk with mates. It is indeed Masters Of The Universe. 

21. Peacemaker Tries Hard! #5
22. Peacemaker Tries Hard! #6

I enjoyed this series written by Kyle Starks well enough. Its insubstantial and at the end I kind of wondered what the whole point was, but it had a few very funny moments and the art by Steve Pugh was on point. 

23. Amazing Spider-Man #225

Classic Foolkiller II story. I cannot express how many times the word "fool" appears in this comic. It's bananas. 

24. New Gods #2

The Fourth World reread continues apace. Getting into a nice rhythm, especially on these issues where Kirby lets loose with lots of splashes and spreads, really sells the grandeur of his vision. 

On 1/9/2024 at 6:10 PM, rlextherobot said:

26. Mister Miracle #2 

Mister Miracle is my favourite of the Fourth World books, and its largely because Scott Free is a compelling protagonist. This story that starts to hint at his origin gets that ball rolling. Also: Granny Goodness! 

The next issue is my favourite, introducing Doctor Bedlam.  

All of Darkseid's Elites are appalling, sadistic individuals, but there's something especially soulless about him.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Invincible Universe Compendium. Another reread from not all that long ago, but one which I loved. A lot of fun. 29 issues, taking me up to 97 for the year so far. 

29. Captain America #321
30. Jimmy Olsen #138
31. Jimmy Olsen #139
32. New Gods #3
33. Forever People #3
34. Mister Miracle #3
35. Forever People #4

Gotta slow down on the Fourth World a bit, its like eating a bunch of sugary candy, after a while you start to get a tummy ache 

Edited by rlextherobot