• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 Books in 2024
3 3

229 posts in this topic

On 2/4/2024 at 2:30 PM, Cat said:

2 more to add to the list. First add was the final Brit volume, volume 3. Not a whole lot to say about this one. Very formulaic, everything gets wrapped up neatly with no repercussions for the main characters. More than a bit disappointing considering the universe it's attached to. I wouldn't recommend this.

Justice League by Scott Snyder volume 3 is not bad. Very 'big' the whole time, it'd obvious I've come into things on the climax of the storyline. I just wanted to read the JSA's appearance. And I could do that and still enjoy myself more, so it was alright with me. Not quite enough to make me want to check out the rest of the run, but it does seem like it could be interesting. It was nice seeing various Starmen taking a leading role at times. That's rare. 

With that I'm up to 321 books. 

You're on a 3K+ pace.  Slow down and stop embarrassing us! :tonofbricks:

On 2/6/2024 at 12:37 PM, mrlatko said:

You're on a 3K+ pace.  Slow down and stop embarrassing us! :tonofbricks:

I'll slow down now, I'm about to read some novels. 

But before I do, better add these to the list:

JSA (2022) 1=8. This series is not to my liking, but isn't altogether bad. It's just not focusing on characters I find interesting. The JSA already has a tonne of fascinating characters, why add villains to the roster? Although I do like Ruby, I think she has potential. I also don't like having Beth and Yolanda back. I want Pieter and Ted. I also miss Michael, he's been in like 1 panel, nothing of Rick so far, and no Ted. They've excised all my favourites. 

Brightest Day volumes 1-3: I wanted to read Blackest Night first, but that volume had gotten misplaced in transit, and as much as I didn't want to go through everything looking for it, I decided to go straight to BD. Still a very enjoyable read with stunning art. I enjoy the overall story, and some pages absolutely wow me. Some characters are pointless and could have been skipped, is my only criticism, but it was a means to resurrect them above all else, so it is what it is. Very fun stuff, especially if you're a fan of the Hawks. 

JSA The Golden Age: a classic for a reason. What can you say? My only criticism is that some of the 'hand-written' fonts are hard to decipher, and black writing on a dark red background is not a good choice. When that's all I've got you know it's good! 

JSA The Liberty Files The Whistling Skull tpb: carp on a stick. Did not enjoy this at all. Plot doesn't make sense (the creature they catch as the killer is quickly forgotten, what was it? We'll never know. But look, a Nazi!) and it tries too hard to be Hellboy. Nigel is an alright character, but done a million times. Skip this one. 

That takes me up to 364, and I'm now I'm moving on to the novel JSA Ragnarok. Seeing it's comic-related I'll probably drop in here and give my thoughts on it anyway, as I don't believe many people are aware of this. It's an official DC novel written by Paul Kupperberg. 

129.    Stormwatch, Vol. 1    #50
130.    Forever People, Vol. 1    #9
131.    Jimmy Olsen, Vol. 2    #5
132.    Stormwatch, Vol. 2    #1
133.    House of Secrets, Vol. 1    #69
134.    The Punisher, Vol. 7    #39
135.    Stormwatch, Vol. 2    #2
136.    Storm, Vol. 4    #1
137.    Jimmy Olsen, Vol. 2    #6
138.    The Avengers, Vol. 5    #1
139.    The Avengers, Vol. 5    #2
140.    The Avengers, Vol. 5    #3
141.    New Gods, Vol. 1    #9
142.    Mister Miracle, Vol. 1    #9
143.    New Avengers, Vol. 3    #1
144.    New Avengers, Vol. 3    #2
145.    Jimmy Olsen, Vol. 2    #7
146.    New Gods, Vol. 1    #10
147.    Forever People, Vol. 1    #10
148.    Captain America, Vol. 1    #105
149.    Stormwatch, Vol. 2    #3
150.    Stormwatch, Vol. 2    #4
151.    New Avengers, Vol. 3    #3
152.    The Avengers, Vol. 5    #4
153.    The Avengers, Vol. 5    #5
154.    Jimmy Olsen, Vol. 2    #8
155.    Stormwatch, Vol. 2    #5
156.    Sandman Mystery Theatre    #21
157.    The Punisher, Vol. 7    #40
158.    Mister Miracle, Vol. 1    #10
159.    Forever People, Vol. 1    #11
160.    Superman, Vol. 1    #143
161.    New Avengers, Vol. 3    #4
162.    New Avengers, Vol. 3    #5
163.    New Avengers, Vol. 3    #6
164.    New Gods, Vol. 1    #11
165.    Mister Miracle, Vol. 1    #11

Finished Blackest Night Omnibus which includes:

Blackest Night #0-8
Adventure Comics #4, 5 and 7
Blackest Night: Batman #1-3 
Blackest Night: The Flash #1-3  
Blackest Night: JSA #1-3
Blackest Night: Superman #1-3  
Blackest Night: Titans #1-3  
Blackest Night: Wonder Woman #1-3 
Catwoman #83 
Green Arrow #40  
Green Lantern #43-52  
Green Lantern Corps #39-47 
Phantom Stranger #42  
The Atom and Hawkman #46 
The Power of Shazam! #48  
The Question #37

Some of the tie-ins were forgettable but I really enjoyed the main Blackest Night/GL/GL Corps titles.

Next is Brightest Day Omni and JSA vol 2.

50 comics so far this year.

Dawn of X TPB #3: Overall, I still enjoy the direction of the series. I am not a fan of Excalibur at all. Fallen Angels is a bit wonky, but still has potential. Other titles are solid.

20240206_150231.thumb.jpg.abc702cd2e7a5d837baf661e71062b87.jpg

The Witcher: The Ballad of Two Wolves: My initial impression of the ballad theme throughout was negative, but as I finished the story and flipped back through, it made for an interesting device. Art was okay and the plot was a little loose at times. Overall, it's still fun to read Witcher stories.

20240210_050330.thumb.jpg.f116408464e755ee97a8b38a3644b052.jpg

On 2/10/2024 at 7:16 AM, Cat said:

This doesn't strictly fit in here, but I thought some of you may be interested. I've finished the JSA Ragnarok novel, and here's my thoughts on it. Overall it's a decent read. It does rely a lot on being familiar with the original JSA story by Roy Thomas where the JSA are forced into an endless cycle of death and rebirth via Ragnarok, although you could conceivably get by without this knowledge. 

It feels like 2 very different plots welded together, the obtaining of The Spear Of Destiny, and then everything else. It does feel that could have flowed better. It also absolutely feels they could have trimmed the JSA roster, with so many characters having no reason for existing in the story, besides a throwaway action to give their presence legitimacy, and some don't even get that. Frankly I couldn't even tell you the full present roster, that's how little an impact some made. 

We cross back and forth between past and present, which does work quite decently and doesn't bog things down. Overall it's a 7/10 read, and worth it for a JSA fan. It was meant to be a trilogy originally, and I lament that we didn't get that, but I am thrilled that we even got one official JSA novel. 

My only other note is poor Icicle, whether Joar or his son Cameron. We see all spellings for their surname, Makhent. We see Mahkent, Makent, Marent, Maent, and plenty more. They got it right once, I believe. 

You can see the enthusiasm for the Justice Society in this work, and feel the love for them, and that's contagious. 

Hope that was of some use to someone! 

Make sure you add 1 to your year’s total so far, as you’re lagging behind a bit.  More effort, please.

Convergence: World's Finest Comics 1-2: not the greatest story. It doesn't even feature half the team. Most of the team. I bought it for Crimson Avenger, and he does come out on top with a few panel appearances. Pass. 

Flash (Jay Garrick), Green Lantern (Alan Scott) and Sandman (Wesley Dodds) #1-2 of each. Flash was really good. I enioyed it. Green Lantern was also good, really nice homage to the his history. He was pitched as Alan Ladd, Aladdin, get it? Editor thought it was too on the nose, so they went with Alan Scott. In this book, he is Alan Ladd-Scott, a nice little nod to creators intent from oh so long ago. An interesting premise, also one I'm looking forward to continuing. Sandman - carpy. Just not very good. Nothing to hook you. Hope it picks up and quick, as those first 2 issues are utter misses.

JSA Classified #34 - Fun done-in-one Hourman story starring Rick Tyler. If you're after the best, go for the 2 parter that's issues 17-18 or 18-19, starring Rick and Rex and Bane, it's a treat. Such a good, fun story. Cannot praise it enough. 

Justice League United #1 This is issue 1, but part 2 of a story? Nuff said. Shame, as it seems fun, with great art, good characters, well written, but part 2? Go straight to comic jail. 

The Terrifics volume 1 tpb: collects issue 1-6. I loved this when it came out, and there was no Fantastic Four. Now though, it's not so special. I'm back to hating Plastic Man, being very iffy on Metamorpho, so that leaves me loving Mr Terrific, and liking Phantom Girl. And the plot wasn't super strong. Hmm. To be continued, to be fair. 

Plus I've got about 15 issues of Morrison's JLA, which I'll review as one when I finish the omnibus. 

If you're wondering why I've slowed so much, my doctor prescribed me a new anxiety med, and it has a habit of knocking me the eff out. :lol: Seriously I sleep all day on it. We're trying to find the right dose, so I haven't got as much reading done as I'd have liked. 

I'm up to 380, not counting anything Morrison. 

Edited by Cat
Critical typo

On 2/13/2024 at 10:00 AM, Cat said:

If you're wondering why I've slowed so much, my doctor prescribed me a new anxiety med, and it has a habit of knocking me the eff out. :lol: Seriously I sleep all day on it. We're trying to find the right dose, so I haven't got as much reading done as I'd have liked. 

Ugh, finding the balance with meds can be such a pain. When I first started taking ADHD meds it took forever to find the right med, and the right dosage where it would actually help, but not have me so wired I could barely sit still. Good luck getting it sorted! 

On 2/14/2024 at 5:57 AM, rlextherobot said:

Ugh, finding the balance with meds can be such a pain. When I first started taking ADHD meds it took forever to find the right med, and the right dosage where it would actually help, but not have me so wired I could barely sit still. Good luck getting it sorted! 

Thanks mate. It's a constant battle. :)

On 2/13/2024 at 6:00 PM, Cat said:

The Terrifics volume 1 tpb: collects issue 1-6. I loved this when it came out, and there was no Fantastic Four. Now though, it's not so special. I'm back to hating Plastic Man, being very iffy on Metamorpho, so that leaves me loving Mr Terrific, and liking Phantom Girl. And the plot wasn't super strong. Hmm. To be continued, to be fair

Similar conclusion last year.

Nice art, but a fairly weak story by Jeff Lemire’s standards.

On 2/14/2024 at 9:08 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Similar conclusion last year.

Nice art, but a fairly weak story by Jeff Lemire’s standards.

Yeah, and funny thing was, I was thinking about this after reading about the upcoming DC omnibus poll (I didn't know it had already started), and I thought to myself 'I'm surprised The Terrifics never got omni'ed', well after rereading the first 6 issues I can see why! 

166.    The Avengers    Vol.5    #6
167.    The Avengers    Vol.5    #7
168.    The Avengers    Vol.5    #8
169.    The Avengers    Vol.5    #9
170.    The Avengers    Vol.5    #10
171.    The Avengers    Vol.5    #11
172.    Stormwatch    Vol.2    #6
173.    The Avengers    Vol.5    #12
174.    Mister Miracle    Vol.1    #12
175.    The Avengers    Vol.5    #13
176.    New Avengers    Vol.3    #7
177.    The Avengers    Vol.5    #14
178.    The Avengers    Vol.5    #15
179.    The Avengers    Vol.5    #16
180.    Mister Miracle    Vol.1    #13
181.    Mister Miracle    Vol.1    #14
182.    The Avengers    Vol.5    #17
183.    Infinity     Vol.1    #1
184.    Batman    Vol.3    #142
185.    Mister Miracle    Vol.1    #15
186.    Stormwatch    Vol.2    #7
187.    Mister Miracle    Vol.1    #16
188.    Stormwatch    Vol.2    #8
189.    Jimmy Olsen    Vol.2    #9
190.    Mister Miracle    Vol.1    #17
191.    Mister Miracle    Vol.1    #18
192.    The Avengers    Vol.5    #18
193.    New Avengers    Vol.3    #8
194.    Wonder Woman     Vol.1    #201
195.    New Gods    Vol.2    #6

Edited by rlextherobot

wonderland.jpeg.31a0bb12c85782ea0315c1459ebd48d9.jpeg

Wonderland: Reign of Madness - War of Madness

This is one of my favorite covers. The details, how the colors pop, it's all around awesome. I also really liked the story. It's a prequel to the main Wonderland series. The narrative is an allusion to the Biblical fall of humanity. Except rather than Adam and Eve, you have Adalaide and Evelyn, twin sisters. The Jabberwocky is Satan. One sister descends into madness, while the other continues to fight for good. The fantasy elements, creatures, and relationship between the sisters keep it from getting too dark.

The sequel to Reign, War of Madness, is part of Grimm Fairy Tales: Myths & Legends Quarterly. It's kind of confusing. Many might not realize it's a direct continuation. At any rate, this one is solid and worth reading. Although I'd place it below the original. The story didn't feel as focused but it's still interesting and has cool fantasy creatures.

Thundercats #1 - 127 covers!! There's a gallery in the back of them all. It takes up 5 pages. That's nuts. I only got cover A, as that's all we got here, we weren't supposed to get it at all, licensing means it's not supposed to be shipped outside of the US. An okay comic, but I can't get used to Tygra with a safari moustache. 

Transformers (Skybound) #3-5. This was a fantastic new issue, can't wait until next issue, even if I am dreading it, as it means the loss of a character, and the end of Daniel Warren Johnson's amazing run on pencils. Highly recommended. 

Dutch #1 why bother bringing him back if he's nothing like he was? I trust Casey, but he's leading me down a pebbly path. Maybe Blood Squad Seven will be more my style. 

Cobra Commander #1 Very enjoyable. Really liked this one, and I wasn't expecting much from the Joe books. 

Duke #1-2 loving this. The writing, the art, it's got it all. Really hope they can get artist Tom Reilly to stick around for some more projects. He's too good. 

Green Lantern Alan Scott #1-3 I'm really enjoying this. Don't understand the complaints. I can think of a reason, but I'm not going to say it. 

The Flash Jay Garrick #1-4 I'm enjoying this just as much as GL. First I've heard of Mr Terrific's son being saved (I don't know how necessary that is, but whatever). I'll have to track down those issues. 

JLA by Grant Morrison Omnibus. A fun read, these books really didn't feel dated. I just wish he'd used Connor Hawke more, but then, I wish everyone had. I think this material gets overrated, but it is pretty decent, I don't have any complaints. 

And that takes me up to 447 books Read for the year. I've slowed right down. 

On 2/23/2024 at 10:33 AM, Rockyjo3 said:

Finished JSA omnibus vol 2 which includes:    

JSA #26-75 

JSA Annual #1

JSA Secret Files and Origins #2

Also read Hawkman #5-25

I think this brings me to 254 comics this year

What'd you think of it? And was it the Johns Hawkman? If so, same question.