• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 Books in 2024
3 3

228 posts in this topic

27-31: Moon Knight 3-7 (Marvel '80)

Moench is not emphasizing the mystical aspect of Moon Knight at all through the first 7 issues.  Thought this was more outwardly evident from what I knew about the character.  In issue 4, Marc Spector looked at the statue of Khonshu in his mansion and wondered if there was something more to it.

They are also playing fast and free with the schizophrenia themes, as if it was normal.  Spector seems fully in control, and there is never anything weird about him switching between his mercenary, cabbie, millionaire personas.  Not even really a hint yet that this could be a problem for him.

Had no idea that Spector recruited 2 local kids and a homeless man to be his sidekicks and help solve crimes??!!  The kids are constantly in mortal danger that Moon Knight puts them in.  I can't say it hasn't been enjoyable so far, just not very sophisticated.  That's the bronze age I guess.

Edited by mrlatko

On 1/29/2024 at 3:23 AM, mrlatko said:

They are also playing fast and free with the schizophrenia themes, as if it was normal.  Spector seems fully in control, and there is never anything weird about him switching between his mercenary, cabbie, millionaire personas.  Not even really a hint yet that this could be a problem for him

Yup. It was often described as schizophrenia at the time, but it’s more accurately multiple personality disorder.  I did think something similar when I read it, that the switching seemed a bit too comfortable and relaxed.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I'm now up to 261 for the year, with the completion of Starman omnibus volume 5. The writing really hits its peak as David Goyer joins in, and the space arc reaches its crescendo. All good stuff, very enjoyable. I'm feeling a bit sad with only one volume left to go. I think a full JSA reread might be in my near future. 

Shocking seeing Medphyl as a traitor. Didn't think he had it in him.

112. Stormwatch #47
113. Jimmy Olsen (vol. 2) #2
114. Captain America #107
115. Fantastic Four #72
116. Stormwatch #48
117. Stormwatch #49 
118. Punisher Max #38
119. New Gods #8
120. Jimmy Olsen (vol. 2) #3
121. Forever People #8
122. Fantastic Four #127
123. Adventure Comics #340
124. Jimmy Olsen (vol. 2) #4
125. Hulk #161 
126. The Brave and the Bold #111
127. Jimmy Olsen #148
128. Mister Miracle #8

wizard.jpg.24c6f12dd40dc22f0b3f4997e6d43587.jpg

Oz: The Wizard, Oz: Heart of Magic 1-5

The Wizard one-shot is where The Wizard arc begins. It was cool that there was a few pages of backstory for what's happened in the Oz comics so far. Without spoiling too much, The Wizard and his accomplice can change into other people, a nod to the original novel where he appears to Scarecrow as a woman.

In the Heart of Magic, Dorothy and her team go on a quest to the Underwold to get help. It's a journey that takes a little inspiration from LOTR. The new creatures and characters is what made the comic for me. There are flying spiders with bat wings, spiked rats that act like ravenous wolves, a dragon duo, etc. The best new hero is the Nome king. I really dig the look of the rock people. The adventure and interesting visuals gave it that fun fantasy feeling. The story is simple in a good way, with mostly entertaining villains and likable heroes.

And I am done with Starman. Volume 6 is completed, and that's the series. All 82 issues, plus additionals. It was quite the ride, and it may as well have been new, I can't remember half the stuff I reread here, it's been that long. Great series, a true classic. Pity the Omnis are long out of print so fans today can't just buy in cheaply (some volumes sell for over 400US). Volume 6 has the culmination of everything, and it shows, with probably the most solid writing, even without David Goyer's presence. Everyone ends up where they should, but not where we'd like them to be, unfortunately. 

Highly recommended on the series, and I loves the format, so bonus points there. Very comfy. 

My total to date is 282 comics so far this year. Suddenly that 1000 looks quite attainable. I'll drop back soon as I start reading novels. 

Finished JSA by Johns Omnibus vol 1 which includes:

JSA #1-25

JLA/JSA Virtue and Vice

JSA All-Stars #1-8

JSA Our Worlds at War #1

JLA/JSA Secret Files #1 

Really enjoyed this book, there were a lot of issues I either hadn’t read or didn’t remember.  My only complaint would be about the omnibus itself, the order the issues are in seem a bit off.  Vol 2 is next and I’m still reading the Blackest Night omni too

On 2/2/2024 at 10:16 AM, Rockyjo3 said:

Finished JSA by Johns Omnibus vol 1 which includes:

JSA #1-25

JLA/JSA Virtue and Vice

JSA All-Stars #1-8

JSA Our Worlds at War #1

JLA/JSA Secret Files #1 

Really enjoyed this book, there were a lot of issues I either hadn’t read or didn’t remember.  My only complaint would be about the omnibus itself, the order the issues are in seem a bit off.  Vol 2 is next and I’m still reading the Blackest Night omni too

Great choice there. Top read, and it only gets better as you go along, as Carter, Michael, and Rick join. I love Michael and Pieter's banter. That makes the book for me. 

On 2/1/2024 at 5:21 PM, Cat said:

Great choice there. Top read, and it only gets better as you go along, as Carter, Michael, and Rick join. I love Michael and Pieter's banter. That makes the book for me. 

Thanks! I’m looking forward to reading more, the other series that I’ve been reading have been on the back burner since starting JSA.

On 2/2/2024 at 10:28 AM, Rockyjo3 said:

Thanks! I’m looking forward to reading more, the other series that I’ve been reading have been on the back burner since starting JSA.

Is this your first time reading this run? 

On 1/23/2024 at 10:30 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Ex Machina 1 to 50, and Ex Machina Specials 1 to 4

Liked it. A lot of discussion about political issues of the time, some of which have shown progress in the intervening two decades, but that’s always a risk with the relevance type of comic book, as with Green Lantern back in the 70s. Still, I found Vaughan’s dialogue very engaging throughout, and there’s lots of great art from Tony Harris, Chris Sprouse, and John Paul Leon. Well worth reading.

2023 total = 96

I need to see if my daughter wants to start on this. We read Saga during the pandemic, loved it, then Paper Girls, loved it, and then Y - which I enjoyed but she didn't finish. At each stage after Saga we talked about which BKV book to read next, and somehow we never settled on Ex Machina. But I've heard good things.

On 1/29/2024 at 6:47 PM, Cat said:

I'm now up to 261 for the year, with the completion of Starman omnibus volume 5. The writing really hits its peak as David Goyer joins in, and the space arc reaches its crescendo. All good stuff, very enjoyable. I'm feeling a bit sad with only one volume left to go. I think a full JSA reread might be in my near future. 

I know I read this title when it first came out, but not sure whether I continued until the end, I'm going to need to check that out and maybe read/reread soon. I see it started in 1994, which makes it eligible for my "Anniversary" reading list this year.

On 2/2/2024 at 4:29 PM, ttfitz said:

I know I read this title when it first came out, but not sure whether I continued until the end, I'm going to need to check that out and maybe read/reread soon. I see it started in 1994, which makes it eligible for my "Anniversary" reading list this year.

It takes a while to get going, but once it does, it's really good. You can't really pinpoint when it got good though, it's one of those you just suddenly realise you're hooked on, if that makes sense. 

Edited by Cat

On 2/2/2024 at 2:23 PM, Rockyjo3 said:

I’ve never finished the whole run and I can hardly remember the parts I have read xD 

You're in for such a treat. Just take exception for the final issues of the run not written by Johns. If you're reading omnibus 3, I also don't rate Thy Kingdom Come all that highly, but plenty of people disagree with me on that one, so I'll be interested for your thoughts on it. 

First post of the year for this challenge. I've decided to post publicly my personal challenge for the year this time around - 1500 comics read in 2024. I figure with the 5 week "100 Back Issue a Week" challenge I do at my LCS made 1000 not as difficult to reach, and frankly, with as many comics as I buy a year reading 1000 ain't gonna get me anywhere. Had that as my silent goal last year, and didn't make it.

So, I've said it, 1500 for the year. Let's see how it goes:

Ms Tree Vol 5 (18-31)

Been enjoying these reprint collections of the title from back in the day. Max Allan Collins does the hard-boiled detective book quite well, and if you are a Mike Hammer fan, this is a book you should check out.

Fray 1-8
Joss Whedon gives us the tale of the Slayer in the future. Pretty good book, kinda sad that the character didn't get used very much after this miniseries. Worth a read if you are a Buffy fan  - available on Hoopla Digital if your library subscribes.

Minor Threats 1-4
The Alternates 1-4
A couple series from actor/comic Patton Oswalt, a fun and enjoyable read.

Van Helsing Sword of Heaven 1-6
I don't really read any of the Zenoscope titles, but this was written by Chuck Dixon, who I enjoyed quite a bit back in the 80s or 90s. So I wasn't really familiar with the character (beyond the whole Van Helsing legacy), and while this was okay, I expected better from Chuck.

Descender 1-16
My daughter and I read this together, at her suggestion - can't remember exactly where she got it from, maybe one of her friends suggested it. But since I've been a fan of writer Jeff Lemire's Black Hammer series, I figured it was worth a shot. And it was, lots of good stuff here and we're both looking forward to reading more.

So, if I did my math correctly, that puts me at 52 for the year.

In the hole already....:frown:

Edited by ttfitz

40 comics so far this year.

Civil War: X-Men was nothing special and a forgettable mini-series. I wasn't a fan of the art, either. I wasn't familiar with Johnny D and I wasn't a fan of the character's abilities.

20240202_065045.thumb.jpg.cd225e5ef503554437cce9bfd9fdcdfb.jpg

Dawn of X TPB #2. Overall, I'm enjoying the reboot. I was never a fan of Excalibur, and I really don't like that title. Fallen Angels has potential, but it starts off a bit of a mess. X-Men, X-Force, Marauders, and New Mutants are all enjoyable. This particular issue of X-Men had a strange plot, but I've already started Vol. 3 and they've moved on.

20240129_065516.thumb.jpg.d9c0e2c7f6abb0d51c4d87731d1dec0c.jpg

2 more to add to the list. First add was the final Brit volume, volume 3. Not a whole lot to say about this one. Very formulaic, everything gets wrapped up neatly with no repercussions for the main characters. More than a bit disappointing considering the universe it's attached to. I wouldn't recommend this.

Justice League by Scott Snyder volume 3 is not bad. Very 'big' the whole time, it'd obvious I've come into things on the climax of the storyline. I just wanted to read the JSA's appearance. And I could do that and still enjoy myself more, so it was alright with me. Not quite enough to make me want to check out the rest of the run, but it does seem like it could be interesting. It was nice seeing various Starmen taking a leading role at times. That's rare. 

With that I'm up to 321 books. 

28-29: Moon Knight 8-9 (Marvel '80)

30-33: Legends 1-4 (DC Limited '86)

34: Secret Wars 1 (Marvel Limited '15)

Ok, Moon Knight is becoming more like the 2nd series I first remember reading from '85.  Now they are using the word schizophrenic, and made a point of describing Marc's dependency on his Khonshu statue and how he believes it makes him stronger.  This is the first time this has been emphasized and makes for a more mysterious, mystical story, and less like a Batman clone.  A couple villains have returned also.

Reading Legends again for the first time since the 80s.  Remember loving it as a Byrne obsessed kid, and it's holding up pretty well after all these years.  The story and dialogue are ok, and the art shines.  Byrne gets to draw a bunch of the DC universe, including the intro of the Suicide Squad.  Darkseid decides he wants to eliminate Earth's Legends and tries to turn the public against super-heroes.  Reminds me a lot about our current political climate here in the USA.

Never read Secret Wars from 2015, so thought I'd give it a try.  This time, multiple Earth's from the Marvel universe are colliding and heroes from each are battling it out to ensure that their world survives.  The first issue was just OK for me.  Isn't Hickman supposed to be some amazing writer?  Didn't help that Ribic's "modern" art style doesn't appeal to me.  Wow, I miss the art of my childhood.  I guess we all do.