• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Best of 2023 submissions are open!!!!
1 1

24 posts in this topic

The Best of 2023 submission period is underway and closes on Thursday, January 18th at midnight EST. Click Here to select your entries!

The "Best Of" competition provides CAF Collector's the opportunity to highlight their 5 most important acquisitions from the prior year. After the submission period ends, CAF's community votes on the artworks that they feel are the most compelling from the eleven possible categories. Once the voting period closes we tally the results to see which artworks are awarded the Best of 2023. While the Best Of might seem like a competition, this truly is a celebration of our hobby and we encourage all collectors to submit five important pieces that they added to their CAF in 2023. 

Please take note that we have added two new Categories this year. One for Mystery Sketches and the other for a Published/Unpublished artwork you acquired under $500. This is something that's been asked of us to try out so that's why we added the $500 and under option. We'll see how it's used and whether it's useful or not, to determine if we keep it for subsequent years. The Mystery Sketch is here to stay for years to come!

TIMELINE:

Posting Entries Begins: Wednesday Jan 3rd

Posting Ends: Thursday, Jan 18th at 11:59 PM EST

Voting starts Friday, January 19th

Voting end Thursday, February 1st at 11:59 PM EST

Winners to be announced on our special 21st Anniversary Live Stream, Tuesday, February 6th at 9pm EST! Like last year we will also have trophies for all those collectors honored that evening!

The 13 Categories:

Published/Unpublished Comic Book Covers

Published/Unpublished Interior Panel Pages

Published/Unpublished Comic Book Splashes, Title Pages

Published/Unpublished Double Page Splashes and Spreads

Published/Unpublished Comic Book Pin-Ups, Illustrations, Trading Cards 

Published/Unpublished Strip Art

Published/Unpublished Commissions/Recreations

Unpublished Sketch Covers/Convention Sketches

Published/Unpublished Media artwork (Music, TV, Movie)

Published/Unpublished Non-Comic Covers, Pin-ups, Illustrations, Gaming Art 

Published/Unpublished Other

Published/Unpublished - Under $500

Mystery Sketch

If you are logged into CAF, Click Here to Submit Your Top 5 Pieces from 2023!

You'll be able to Preview the submissions to the Best of 2023 Here!

The annual "Best Of" competition has been hosted on ComicArtFans.com for many years in the Lowry Gallery. For a brief history of the Lowry Gallery please click here. When the Best Of began it was only available to Lowry members, but starting in 2019 the competition is now open to all CAF Members. Those Members who choose to participate will be able to submit up to 5 "Best Of" entries which keeps this in line with the Lowry's original mission of highlighting the best artworks in your collection, and voting for all 13 categories begins on 1/19/2024.

Message me or email me (mt_rambler@mac.com with any questions

Start posting your entries NOW!!!!

My final 5 entries for Best of 2023

Published/Unpublished Comic Book Covers
Giant Size Nightcrawler #1
by Alan Davis

Published/Unpublished Interior Panel Pages
Giant-Size Super-Heroes #1 page 14
by Gil Kane (Penciller) and Mike Esposito (Inker)

Published/Unpublished Comic Book Pin-Ups, Illustrations, Trading Cards
Batman Penguin Joke and Robin
by Bob Kane

Published/Unpublished Commissions/Recreations
Doctor Who and Leela commission
by David Roach

Published/Unpublished Non-Comic Cover, Pin-ups, Illustrations, Gaming Art
The View
by Stanley Pitt

I'm not posting my entries. But it seems to me there is a lot of sameness to some of the entries. A lot of Spider-Man or Batman covers with similar poses. Same with Harley Quinn and Venom. I should think those entries will cannibalize each other's votes.