• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help pricing art

16 posts in this topic

I need to sale the 2 following pages: Many Ghosts of Doctor Graves #15 cover and Avengers #266 by Buscema. I have no idea of their value, especially the Aparo cover since I 've never seen one for sale.

Thanks for your help and advice.

GhotsAparoCover.jpg

Avengers266Buscema.jpg

Edited by Garry Ghoul

@alxjhnsn will be here in a sec to help you out...

I'm curious, I have a page from that issue too (NFS). There have been some other Avengers pages from that era/artists for sale at Heritage and one from that issue on CAF for a couple grand (don't know if it sold or what for).

Edited by Twanj

Both are very nice pieces of art.

A dealer would price the Aparo around $7500-$8000 and maybe even $10,000, based solely on it being a vintage cover by Aparo. A legitimate price would probably be around $5500, in my honest opinion. Charlton covers - even those by Ditko - don't usually sell over $6500-$8500 as they have been very stagnant for more than a decade without much growth at all and those that are on dealers' sites ALWAYS sit for YEARS.

The Avengers 266 page is a John Buscema Silver Surfer page with the members of the FF and Avengers in that last panel (and they're in the first panel, though very tiny), so I think it would hit around $4000-5000, but could go as high as $8500 at auction. A dealer would price it at $12,000-$15,000 for sure. The biggest drawback is that the Surfer is whining and not in action, but, then again, maybe for Surfer fans, that is a selling point. It also doesn't help that the majority of the art on that page is by Tom Palmer and not by John Buscema, since he was doing very light pencils/layouts at the time and Palmer was doing the heavy lifting to make it look like Buscema. That fact could drag it down a bit, but probably not too much.

On 1/8/2024 at 9:41 PM, Michael Browning said:

I think it would hit around $4000-5000, but could go as high as $8500 at auction. A dealer would price it at $12,000-$15,000 for sure

Recent results don't support those numbers... issue 66, yes, but 266? No

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 1/8/2024 at 10:15 PM, KirbyCollector said:

Recent results don't support those numbers... issue 66, yes, but 266? No

Auction results with John Buscema drawing Silver Surfer?

Yeah, not sure what auction results you're looking at, but check the HA results from the past few years and see what John Buscema Silver Surfer art sells for. Also, Avengers 266 pages haven't sold at auction since 2018 and that one didn't have the Surfer on it. I probably should have mentioned that Silver Surfer on a page brings a Surfer tax that raises the prices considerably.

$2,100 last month on CLink. I get the SS "tax," but JB late Avengers art is still JB late Avengers art. The price range for panel pages of this kind (unless the seller's first name is Rich or Steve) sits in the sub $4K space.

image.thumb.png.7e399a623c3a2f95329fd99978257709.png

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 1/9/2024 at 9:30 AM, KirbyCollector said:

$2,100 last month on CLink. I get the SS "tax," but JB late Avengers art is still JB late Avengers art. The price range for panel pages of this kind (unless the seller's first name is Rich or Steve) sits in the sub $4K space.

Apples and oranges.

Again, show me results of where a John Buscema Silver Surfer page sold for that low. When the Surfer is on the page and drawn by John Buscema, that changes the page entirely and, no, it is not the same as all other late John Buscema Avengers pages.

Every dealer would put that page on their site at above $8000, not just the Donnelly brothers.

Trust me on that.

On 1/9/2024 at 9:31 PM, rsonenthal said:

Michael, with all respect, a John Buscema Silver Surfer page and a John Buscema Avengers page with the Silver Surfer drawn 27 years later is a really good example of apples and oranges. The question the original poster asked was what kind of value they could expect if they sold the page. The price a dealer would put on a page and carry from show to show for years isn't a real data point. If they want to sell, certainly no dealer is going to give them the numbers you've suggested, right?

If the page is consigned to an auction - to the original poster that's what I would strongly suggest - we'll find out what the market thinks.  

I gave them my honest valuation of the page in my first answer. $4000-$5000. I stand by that. If a regular page goes for $2100, then a page drawn by John Buscema and featuring one of the characters he is famous for drawing during the silver age would go for significantly more, hence my $4000-$5000 estimate.

The argument against my estimate is that a page from that same issue sold at ComicLink for $2100 — but that page does not have the Surfer on it and there is a Surfer tax on these pages where they always sell higher with him on there. Especially when it’s the Surfer drawn by John Buscema.

Ron, absolutely with all due respect, you’ve been around as long as I have and you should know how high Surfer pages sell. I sold a Beavis and Butthead page with a Ron Lim Silver Surfer on it four years ago for $1800, so I know a 1980s, Avengers volume 1 page drawn by John Buscema would definitely sell for a LOT more than $1800 and that would put it right in the range of my estimate.

My statements about a dealer putting it up for sale for five figures is not the estimate, it’s how high I believe they would price it on their websites.

On 1/9/2024 at 9:30 AM, KirbyCollector said:

You also reinforce my $4000-$5000 estimate by showing that this page sold for $2100 in a C-link auction, which means it probably sold lower than it should have. 😉

On 1/10/2024 at 3:31 AM, rsonenthal said:

Michael, with all respect, a John Buscema Silver Surfer page and a John Buscema Avengers page with the Silver Surfer drawn 27 years later is a really good example of apples and oranges. The question the original poster asked was what kind of value they could expect if they sold the page. The price a dealer would put on a page and carry from show to show for years isn't a real data point. If they want to sell, certainly no dealer is going to give them the numbers you've suggested, right?

If the page is consigned to an auction - to the original poster that's what I would strongly suggest - we'll find out what the market thinks.  

Ron, I never consigned to any auctions, and I was just thinking to sell on CAF as usual! I guess I will follow your strong advice this time! Thanks

On 1/10/2024 at 5:13 AM, Michael Browning said:

I gave them my honest valuation of the page in my first answer. $4000-$5000. I stand by that. If a regular page goes for $2100, then a page drawn by John Buscema and featuring one of the characters he is famous for drawing during the silver age would go for significantly more, hence my $4000-$5000 estimate.

The argument against my estimate is that a page from that same issue sold at ComicLink for $2100 — but that page does not have the Surfer on it and there is a Surfer tax on these pages where they always sell higher with him on there. Especially when it’s the Surfer drawn by John Buscema.

Ron, absolutely with all due respect, you’ve been around as long as I have and you should know how high Surfer pages sell. I sold a Beavis and Butthead page with a Ron Lim Silver Surfer on it four years ago for $1800, so I know a 1980s, Avengers volume 1 page drawn by John Buscema would definitely sell for a LOT more than $1800 and that would put it right in the range of my estimate.

My statements about a dealer putting it up for sale for five figures is not the estimate, it’s how high I believe they would price it on their websites.

Thanks to all your informations and advices, Michael. It is very helpfull.