• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

boooks now without notes
2 2

21 posts in this topic

I hope this is the right forum.

I received CGC slabs today.

9.4, 9.4, 9.0, 9.0

There are no notes as to why. I check the registry and they come up with no notes as well.

Has anyone else bumped into this issue?

Stewart

On 1/11/2024 at 6:17 PM, StewartCA said:

9.4, 9.4, 9.0, 9.0

There are no notes as to why. I check the registry and they come up with no notes as well.

Stewart

Like so many things in our society, the graders are strongly encouraged to pump up the volume...

It's not an unusual result,  Stewart. I have books as low as 8.5 and 8.0 with no notes.

It has been indicated that the notes are primarily for internal use, grader to grader, made available to us as a courtesy. Grading is not a full appraisal of your comic, with a list of attributes and detriments. That would be a bit more expensive. 

On 1/11/2024 at 6:17 PM, StewartCA said:

9.4, 9.4, 9.0, 9.0

Stewart

yes, notes are not a given and aren't complete even when you get them. It's not a standardized CGC feature or something one can expect.

On 1/12/2024 at 6:50 AM, StewartCA said:

What is a reholder?

Let's say you dropped a slab and, while not damaging the comic, the slab itself developed an unsightly crack.  You could then send it in to CGC for a "reholder" where they would replace the plastic holder.  I don't believe the book is regraded in this instance.

On 1/11/2024 at 11:50 PM, The Lions Den said:

Like so many things in our society, the graders are strongly encouraged to pump up the volume...

They whistle while they work.....:whistle:    

....and dance.....:banana:

On 1/12/2024 at 10:47 AM, MattTheDuck said:

Let's say you dropped a slab and, while not damaging the comic, the slab itself developed an unsightly crack.  You could then send it in to CGC for a "reholder" where they would replace the plastic holder.  I don't believe the book is regraded in this instance.

Someone asked this question before, but in the thread I was reading, no one was able to answer: Does CGC scan/photograph books that are submitted for re-holdering?

On 1/12/2024 at 9:50 AM, StewartCA said:

What is a reholder?

CGC says:

ReHolder
A comic book in a CGC holder is encapsulated in a new CGC holder. The grade assigned to the book should not change, unless any damage occurred post-encapsulation, in which case the grade will be adjusted accordingly. To qualify, the book must still be encapsulated in its original CGC holder. https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/services-fees/cgc-grading/

If the books were graded at different value tiers and/or involved books varying greatly in grade and from different Ages (GA vs SA vs BA), it would be a head scratcher to receive 4 books back and they all lacked the grader's notes, at least to me.  That is because in such a scenario, you would expect different graders to be involved, and they differ in the extent to which they provide notes, if at all.  I'm guessing you submitted several books that were more similar than not and perhaps graded by the same person.  my 2c

Lightning,

In response to your comment: ""It has been indicated that the notes are primarily for internal use, grader to grader, made available to us as a courtesy." I've heard this and similar responses this forum. Do you have a reference? If so, please do share.

This is what the CGC site states: "These “Grader Notes” describe problems, indicate the condition of the interior pages, and help explain why a collectible received the grade it did. After the first grader enters notes and their grade, the next grader can review those notes and can make any additional notes. For collectibles with the purple CGC Restored Grade label, Restoration Notes are given that describe the location and type of restoration. These notes are a valuable part of the grading process, and CGC makes Grader Notes available online for free."

On 1/16/2024 at 8:25 PM, Upgrayedd2 said:

Lightning,

In response to your comment: ""It has been indicated that the notes are primarily for internal use, grader to grader, made available to us as a courtesy." I've heard this and similar responses this forum. Do you have a reference? If so, please do share.

A few folks have asked in the Ask CGC forum, and it seems to be a similar reply. They say that notes are not part of the "CGC Guarantee" but if available, they provide them for free. (below are some of the responses I found)

Edited by flchris

Thanks for sharing. Outside of those responses, where does the CGC site state this?

My favorite response, "It should be noted that while notes may offer insight into the book's condition, the intent of providing grader notes is not to justify the grade received."

So...the grader notes which describe the book's condition is not related to the grade?

On 1/16/2024 at 9:58 PM, Upgrayedd2 said:

Thanks for sharing. Outside of those responses, where does the CGC site state this?

My favorite response, "It should be noted that while notes may offer insight into the book's condition, the intent of providing grader notes is not to justify the grade received."

So...the grader notes which describe the book's condition is not related to the grade?

As in the thread links that @flchris kindly provided, and various similar threads, the CGC response has generally been that the grader notes are internal tools, not all-inclusive. I think they have been purposely vague, so collectors aren't picking apart the comments, calling to argue specific judgments.

Regarding the notes being from grader to grader, and I'm just spitballing here, but maybe there's a light stain that the first grader sees that could easily be missed, so he notes it. The stain figured into his preliminary grade. If the final grader doesn't see it, the early grade might seem "off". But the note brings it to his attention, making sense of the preliminary grade.

Or maybe that big white subscription crease isn't noted at all, because it is so obvious no one would miss it.

I just know that we have been told that the graders' job is to assign a grade. If they make notes, it is for operational purposes, and not all comics will have notes. 

I personally believe that all comics should have notes. If templated into the system, it might add a few seconds, big deal. Even a 9.8, with one click of a mouse, could say "meets the standard of a new comic, no added defects". Although I see that today's new comics, with the thinner cover paper, are more like 9.4 out of the gate.

I received no grader notes on a 9.6, no grader notes on one 9.8, but grader notes on another 9.8....:devil:

Its like playing darts, blind. Who knows evil notes lurks in the hearts of the graders.... the Shadow knows!

image.png.911d225101d6ae4dde5e6a44d01a63ef.thumb.png.302cf62cb998ac27feff10f7b6f3b29c.png

On 1/17/2024 at 4:19 AM, DougC said:

I received no grader notes on a 9.6, no grader notes on one 9.8, but grader notes on another 9.8....:devil:

Its like playing darts, blind. Who knows evil notes lurks in the hearts of the graders.... the Shadow knows!

image.png.911d225101d6ae4dde5e6a44d01a63ef.thumb.png.302cf62cb998ac27feff10f7b6f3b29c.png

Grader notes on a 9.8, the rarest of the rare. I'm curious as to what the Notes said???

On 1/17/2024 at 3:37 AM, Lightning55 said:

Grader notes on a 9.8, the rarest of the rare. I'm curious as to what the Notes said???

image.png.f9b107f56a21fe64365b3076b7df6154.png

Full disclosure these books were sent to CCS during their 50% off back in November for the Jim Lee signing; All three books were 9.6 blue labels without grader notes. I took a wild shot in the dark (they are only moderns) for $30 after not doing any business with due to how badly they mangled some silver age books previously.

I believe a stacking bend is something that "should" be pressed out; but I am no expert.