• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to Draw, What to Draw?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I draw from comic images in my free time, whatever strikes me as a challenge or whose style or imagery seems unique or unforgettable.

It has me thinking. . .is there a single comic panel that stands above all the rest for you? There are iconic artists and covers, but what about THE iconic storyline moment for you in all of comics? 

Share images if you have one.

One that comes to mind for me is from the BPRD Hell on Earth series and Johann Kraus.

Screenshot_20240112-114148_adobe_express.jpeg

You really want a challenge? Here you go. 

Arthur Ranson from "Batman and the Phantom Stranger" graphic novel.

This is what I call a "fake" panel page. The central and secondary graveyard sculptures, as well as the background, are all positioned in a way to continue into all three panel pages, like a splash page but with panel separations. Yet there are also three different figures of the Phantom Stranger at different locations. So, it may be that the same character is in 3 different places at the same time--or is he simply moving around the same place at 3 different times? Throw in the quality of the line work, and the lovely way it drips off the page. That should keep you busy.

5RansonfakeSplash.thumb.jpg.ef452edd3c12872e4e82ca87828e6246.jpg

Wow! What a nice piece!  I like how the paneling and use of distance almost make him jump through time!  Very detailed too. So cool! 

Working on this Wolvy at the moment. Just a rough in at the moment. I'll prob try to ink it, see what happens ?  Curious his lower jaw seems missing, which I can't unsee now.  😁

20240114_144011-COLLAGE.jpg

On 1/14/2024 at 10:00 AM, Rick2you2 said:

You really want a challenge? Here you go. 

Arthur Ranson from "Batman and the Phantom Stranger" graphic novel.

This is what I call a "fake" panel page. The central and secondary graveyard sculptures, as well as the background, are all positioned in a way to continue into all three panel pages, like a splash page but with panel separations. Yet there are also three different figures of the Phantom Stranger at different locations. So, it may be that the same character is in 3 different places at the same time--or is he simply moving around the same place at 3 different times? Throw in the quality of the line work, and the lovely way it drips off the page. That should keep you busy.

5RansonfakeSplash.thumb.jpg.ef452edd3c12872e4e82ca87828e6246.jpg

I've always enjoyed pages like this. It's a nice way to show motion.

On 1/12/2024 at 12:20 PM, BrightSide77 said:

It has me thinking. . .is there a single comic panel that stands above all the rest for you? There are iconic artists and covers, but what about THE iconic storyline moment for you in all of comics? 

Easy.

Screen Shot 2024-01-22 at 12.08.55 AM.png

On 1/12/2024 at 6:20 PM, BrightSide77 said:

I draw from comic images in my free time, whatever strikes me as a challenge or whose style or imagery seems unique or unforgettable.

Share images if you have one.

Sure, if you really do like a challenge .. .

64c271cf26f53a1099dc4108f5cbd5c2.jpg