• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FAMOUS FIRST EDITION: NEW FUN #1 C-63 - DC

15 posts in this topic

Yes, I was aware, I got it shortly after it came out.  I just wish they would do either a) more Famous First Editions or b) more New Fun reprints.

I love that they faithfully recreated the Famous First Edition look for this, the original run of FFE's are roughly as old now as the books the FFE's reprinted in the 70's were then.

On 1/13/2024 at 4:44 PM, OtherEric said:

Yes, I was aware, I got it shortly after it came out.  I just wish they would do either a) more Famous First Editions or b) more New Fun reprints.

I love that they faithfully recreated the Famous First Edition look for this, the original run of FFE's are roughly as old now as the books the FFE's reprinted in the 70's were then.

Yeah, I'd love to get New Fun Comics #1-6 for the full run.  They also reproduced this to the exact size of the original tabloid comic. (thumbsu

Edited by Forbush-Man

I suppose wishing for issues #2-6 doesn't make sense for a book titled Famous First Edition. I could cross my fingers & hope they continue with The Comics Magazine #1... :wishluck:

On 1/14/2024 at 7:11 AM, Forbush-Man said:

I suppose wishing for issues #2-6 doesn't make sense for a book titled Famous First Edition. I could cross my fingers & hope they continue with The Comics Magazine #1... :wishluck:

They could reprint The Big Book of Fun, D.C.'s first annual.

This was the only thing I've ever preordered from my LCS's Diamond catalogue.  Great concept, agree wishing they'd do more.  There was going to be a high quality collection of pre-Batman Detective Comics as well, but it got canceled (likely due to concern over some questionable for today stories).  Would love to see that get resurrected, or even do a nice Famous First Edition of Detective 1. 

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/detective-comics-1-26-reprinted-at-last-plus-a-shocking-revelation-which-will-rewrite-dc-history/

But if you are looking for great reproduction of early material, do not miss DC Before Superman by Nicky Wheeler-Nicholson (the Major's granddaughter), which manages to reproduce a lot of Leo O'Mealia's Barry O'Neill and Bob Merritt stories, along with some nice early stuff from Siegel and Shuster and others.  

On 1/14/2024 at 10:07 AM, mwotka said:

There was going to be a high quality collection of pre-Batman Detective Comics as well, but it got canceled (likely due to concern over some questionable for today stories). 

I was unaware of this.  Do you have any further information regarding what was considered "questionable"?

Also, does anyone know what this comment in the article is about:  "There will also be a shocking revelation of a "Bill Finger-type" forgotten co-creator of a major comic book character who will require comic book history books to be rewritten."

There was a follow up article on Bleeding Cool that showed some images from Fu Manchu and talked about the over-reliance on yellow peril type stories as having something to do with it.  Also a concern that it might reflect badly on the legacy of Siegel and Shuster, since some of their stories had that angle.  But then they still permitted Nicky Wheeler-Nicholson to reproduce a fair amount of early stuff with similar stories in her book so who knows.  Maybe there weren't enough pre-orders to justify the expense.  

No idea on the "shocking revelation" part.