• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who is attending OA Expo?
3 3

71 posts in this topic

On 1/28/2024 at 6:13 PM, Xatari said:

Could be they are also not quite as visible. I know in my collecting group there are 20+ of us. Several are very active in a public setting and others have decided to stay behind the scenes. I understand the reasoning for both. 

I need to start networking more. I talk to maybe 3 collectors on an on-and-off-again basis. 

On 1/28/2024 at 7:19 PM, Xatari said:

I think it takes so much capital to make a splash in today’s market so likely few and far between. 

In today’s market, yes. But around the time you entered when collectibles were at the top of the market and you can sell (as you did) to enter the OA hobby is the time frame I’m referring to. Also, there was more exuberance for the MCU back then than there is today.

My main question, which resonated with your post, is whether “new” collectors who entered the hobby buying only/mainly new art from “new art drops” (or commissions from those “hot” artists) are still around today? In that 2012-2016 time period when I was still reading new books off the shelves and seeing the art from those books get dropped just about weekly which seems to have continued to present day, well, is/was that really a sustainable model? Meaning, it may have been an affordable entry to the hobby, but was it a sustainable one for longevity? Was that a cause of burnout, trying to keep up?

Mike, you were a key comic collector. Have you been reading comics “all your life?” The earliest comic that I own is from when I was 5 years old. Although there have been many lapses (I’m of a generation where comics weren’t cool and you had to grow up some time), comics have always been part of my life somehow. Just wondering if that’s the case for you?

Anyway…

:signofftopic:

On 1/28/2024 at 11:07 PM, Xatari said:

Hey @John E.,

I was born in 1980 and caught the big comic boom of the 90s just prior to the Image formation. Thats a lot of why I missed some of the nostalgia of Conan, Watchmen, and Dark Knight. It doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate those properties, it just doesn’t hit me in the feels the same way it does the crew 5-10 years older than me. 

I stopped reading comics when I got busy in high school (around 1994) and got back in maybe 10 years ago. Being at a place in my life with a bit more disposable income, I picked up a lot of big key books I wasn’t able to buy as a kid… Hulk 181, FF48, etc. My wife and I made an agreement that money for any hobby wouldn’t come from our family account, so I ended up buying and selling some books to be able to afford others.

During the pandemic I switch completely to OA and sold most of my books to fund art. In my opinion the art market lagged behind the comic boom by about 6-12 months, so it provided more buying power for me. 

I try not to sell art right now except in the rare instance it either provides some benefit to my family or helps me purchase a piece I don’t otherwise be able to afford. 

To answer your question about reading though, I read more comics today than in past years. There was a 20 year gap during which I missed things like Age of Apocalypse, but I am slowly making my way back through. There are some really good stories being told today though. Some of my favorites include Something Is Killing the Children, Ultimate Spider-Man (only one issue so far), Hulk (Klein is blowing me away), and Venom (I enjoy Dylan Brock). 

Aside from being born two years before you, this is pretty much my story.  I have some gaps in my reading, so I'm always buying trades of those missed stories.  But I certainly do read books from all eras.  I agree there are good stories being told today.  I tend to wait until trades are released as I prefer to read entire stories/arcs at the same time, so I'm usually months/years behind everyone else.  And for OA...I don't have a ton of pages, but from what I've bought so far seems to be definitely favoring modern artists/stories.  

On 1/28/2024 at 10:07 PM, Xatari said:

Hey @John E.,

I try not to sell art right now except in the rare instance it either provides some benefit to my family or helps me purchase a piece I don’t otherwise be able to afford. 

To answer your question about reading though, I read more comics today than in past years. There was a 20 year gap during which I missed things like Age of Apocalypse, but I am slowly making my way back through. There are some really good stories being told today though. Some of my favorites include Something Is Killing the Children, Ultimate Spider-Man (only one issue so far), Hulk (Klein is blowing me away), and Venom (I enjoy Dylan Brock). 

Thanks for the reply, Mike. I had written a long response, hit submit, and *poof* it all disappeared. I guess that was the universe saying no one wants to read this lol.

On 1/30/2024 at 10:29 AM, stinkininkin said:

Glad folks had a good time. Wasn't there, but looking at the various pics I've seen posted, it appears that the crowds seemed a little bit sparse. Perhaps that's a feature and not a bug for a show like this? Maybe attendees could comment on the crowd/attendance? 

Definitely a feature and really a perfectly sized room for the guests and attendees. When we all gathered for the auction that room was packed and you could see what attendance truly was.

On 1/30/2024 at 10:29 AM, stinkininkin said:

Glad folks had a good time. Wasn't there, but looking at the various pics I've seen posted, it appears that the crowds seemed a little bit sparse. Perhaps that's a feature and not a bug for a show like this? Maybe attendees could comment on the crowd/attendance? 

100% an intended feature and a huge reason the event was as good as it was. Tickets were capped at 500 and at least 470 were sold, which was above Bill’s target for the first year. 

On 1/31/2024 at 7:56 AM, Varanis said:

100% an intended feature and a huge reason the event was as good as it was. Tickets were capped at 500 and at least 470 were sold, which was above Bill’s target for the first year. 

I'm fairly certain this event is going to get bigger and bigger. It looks like it was a hit, and a lot of fun. If I wasn't already planning to go to Lake Como this year, I'd have gone myself. I plan to next year. I will post a thread on Lake Como when that takes place. The artist lineup looks great. I just don't know anyone else who is attending yet. 

It’s nice to hear from a dealer and an artist in regards to OAX. I have a hard time thinking of a show for comic artists and comic art dealers that would be better for their bottom line than this one! Talk about a very focused group of convention attendees. They are all there for your inventory not comics, not movie stars, not Funko Pop toys… the whole crowd is there to buy your stuff.

I would think it would be as easy as falling off a log backwards to have a successful show. Kudos to Bill Cox for OAX, glad it was a success!

Edited by gumbydarnit