• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PreScreen with CCS - Billing Question
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hello, I always use CCS whenever submitting books, but have never done a PreScreen.

If I were to use CCS and also PreScreen at what point would the books be PreScreened?  Specifically, would I be charged for pressing and then the books are PreScreened afterwards?  Or, are they PreScreened (and rejected) prior to pressing/charged for pressing?

Would rather not pay for pressing a book if it would not hit the PreScreen grade, which is why I’m asking.

Thank you!

Edited by Iconic1s

• Administrator

Great question!

All of the books submitted would be sent to pressing in this case first. Then after pressing then they would be sent through grading with the selected prescreen grade. Any books that did not meet the grade would be charged the pressing fee and the grading reject fee. I hope this helps! Let us know if you have any other questions. 

@MattM CS follow up question here - would it be possible to have prescreens both before and after pressing?

Theoretically, pressing a book should resolve any minor issues with the goal of increasing the grade - but I've recently submitted 4 or 5 brand new books with no visible flaws to be pressed & graded, and they've been returned with lower grades - I've received 9.6s & 9.4s, and even an 8.5 - with no graders notes and still nothing obviously wrong with them. 

My suspicion is that the pressing is actually causing damage, dropping the grade. I understand that this is one of the agreed-to risks involved when submitting books, and there's not much recourse for my submitted books, but what would be really helpful is the ability to elect (or have done automatically) to have prescreens both before and after the pressing - if it the book hits the grade, great, don't press it, if it doesn't; press it, and re-screen. If it still doesn't make the grade, that'when it would actually fail the screening, and would not be submitted into the grading queue.

This would be a huge win for all parties:
 - Faster turn around (no pressing time if it makes the cut) for the submitter with a higher likelihood of achieving the target grade
 - Less stress / faster turn around in the CCS pipeline
 - Higher number of books going straight to grading

Internally it might also help CGC determine if/how books are being damaged by the pressing stage (if a book is submitted that doesn't quite make a 9.8 prescreen grade, and is graded a 9.2 after pressing, presumably something wasn't done properly)