• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unnamable Writer: PKD appreciation thread
2 2

122 posts in this topic

On 1/19/2024 at 11:02 AM, Yorick said:

I've always wanted a copy of that first Planet Stories, but it wasn't the most impressive story of his that I've read.  So I never wanted to pay the prices that were being asked...  and now the prices are ten-fold, and I REALLY don't want to pay those prices!!  :flamed:

I got very lucky, because of the corner damage on my copy I got it at the legendary KAYO Books for $12.  Which is neither the best deal I ever got on a pulp nor the best deal I ever got at KAYO, but it's definitely way up on the list in both cases.

Another thing, PKD lived in the SF Bay Area around me and OtherEric....

There are stories based in my backyard!!

Edited by Yorick
My bad...

On 1/19/2024 at 11:09 AM, Yorick said:

Another thing, PKD lived in the SF Bay Area around me and OtherEric....

There are stories based in my backyard!!

If you've ever gone to the Berkeley Comic Show you've been across the street from the house he and Kleo lived in for a number of years in the early-mid 1950's.

On 1/19/2024 at 3:14 PM, Book Guy said:

If you've ever gone to the Berkeley Comic Show you've been across the street from the house he and Kleo lived in for a number of years in the early-mid 1950's.

I don't actually live in the Bay Area, but my sister does so I get there once or twice a year.  I should find out when the Berkeley show is and try to time a visit around that one of these years...

On 1/19/2024 at 3:19 PM, OtherEric said:

I don't actually live in the Bay Area, but my sister does so I get there once or twice a year.  I should find out when the Berkeley show is and try to time a visit around that one of these years...

Lots of Comics, including a surprising number of '4 figure' ones! But also tons of cheaper books. Always at least a few paperbacks-lots more last time. Always a few Pulps-lots more last time. Not a far walk from the North Berkeley BART Station.

On 1/19/2024 at 3:19 PM, OtherEric said:

Ooops.  I ASSuMEd you did!  :eek: