• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unnamable Writer: PKD appreciation thread
2 2

131 posts in this topic

On 2/11/2024 at 5:43 PM, Number 6 said:

I picked this up last year. My understanding is that it’s the first hardcover release of this title but it was published several decades after the paperback original was released. As such, it wasn’t super expensive for a “first” hardcover. 

IMG_5530.thumb.jpeg.782ec905dab8ae2209347247a065f7fe.jpeg

High grade first PB, it's relatively new but pretty well sought after because it is PKD and an early DAW, which has collectors of their own

20240213_154231.thumb.jpg.c8e8eb84ff887d7027f4b5bbb5163e4a.jpg

I used to visit secondhand bookstores in every town I'd travel through (and record stores. and comic book stores).  I'd be scouring for my authors and hoping to find new books to add to my huntlist from the "also by this author" pages as I picked them up.  And paying near cover price for used books all the day long.   People talk about the death of the second hand bookstores, and I get it, but damn if I don't like to hop on the internet, easily find a full bibliography, and get 90% of the books I want within minutes.  5 bucks for a used modern paperback shipped to my house?? How booksellers can operate on those margins, I do not know, but I don't think it's the "shop local" booksellers I'm ordering from -

And even being able to find vintage and first editions is amazing. 

Sure, I'd get good books recommended to me booksellers, but it's not like I didn't get a lot of bad ones recommended, too :roflmao:

Anyways, the life of the modern bookworm :takeit:

On 2/23/2024 at 1:26 PM, Surfing Alien said:

I'm sure you all can imagine I'd be scouring the interwebs for a decent copy of "A Handful of Darkness" since @OtherEric posted his find and today is the day it arrived. Grateful for you pointing it out pal, one of the few holes in my PKD pb shelf. It's pretty nice but just scruffy  enough that I don't fear reading the tales within:whee:

20240223_135657.thumb.jpg.ef416aa70b5c32c354edc97f15d0d79b.jpg

Always a good day when I set a fellow board member off on the hunt! 

The digest project has expanded to include "some I found in boxes once I started looking" and "stuff I got at the local bookstore yesterday" and maybe even other sources.  But still sticking to a couple a day.

The Amazing Stories has "Stand-By", the Astounding has "Imposter".  Somewhat surprisingly, this is the only issue of Astounding with a PKD story that I know of:

Amazing Stories 1963 10.jpg

Astounding 1953 06.jpg

On 3/10/2024 at 3:36 PM, johnenock said:

Can you believe his name only appears as a cover headliner a handful of times? Are his earlier works not up to par with his later work?

Like most new writers, it took him a little while to become the creator we know and love.

Of the 34 magazines I have that I've scanned the covers of, PKD makes the cover 10 times.  Two of the issues don't list any creators, and 14 of them only list one or two.  Two of those, PKD is the only creator listed.

I would say he probably got his name on the cover as much as all but a few creators.  Other than Heinlein and maybe Asimov, I can't think of any creators who ever reached the point where they got cover credit every time.