• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Different coloured cases from CGC
2 2

10 posts in this topic

Heya guys, I've seen this a few times.........Dose the red casing for this comic ( radomly pulled from ebay ), specifically mean anything( like the different coloured headers on cased comics)  , or is it just a custom case you can get from CGC?

s-l1600 (7).jpg

No. It's just the background upon which the slab sat on for the image.

On 1/19/2024 at 1:50 AM, Darthvader23 said:

Ok, I can see it now @grendelbo So, they've taken a photo of this slabbed comic on a red backing and then cropped it to have a different background. Very deceiving.

What do you think the deception is, and what is CGC's motivation for that deception?

On 1/19/2024 at 1:50 AM, Darthvader23 said:

Ok, I can see it now @grendelbo So, they've taken a photo of this slabbed comic on a red backing and then cropped it to have a different background. Very deceiving.

Unless the listing says something about a special "red CGC case" then I don't see this as deceiving. They just took a picture of their slab on a red table or something. I take pictures of mine on a granite table but that doesn't mean I'm trying to pass my books off as having a special Granite CGC Case. Does that make sense?

On 1/19/2024 at 5:30 PM, Darthvader23 said:

@Ryan. it wasn't done by CGC, but by the seller of the slab. It made me think there were coloured cases.........i'm still new to CGC comics, and dont know it all yet.....

Gotcha. Well you've come to the right place to learn. 

On 1/19/2024 at 4:30 PM, Darthvader23 said:

@Ryan. it wasn't done by CGC, but by the seller of the slab. It made me think there were coloured cases.........i'm still new to CGC comics, and dont know it all yet.....

Just for helpful reference all CGC cases are clear; the labels are what is different. Not only in color but some have custom licensed characters.

Official explanations are hidden under the "grading" section on the main page but here are some links:

CGC Holder

CGC Label *They need to update this section with a custom label option.

On 1/19/2024 at 3:04 PM, Ryan. said:

What do you think the deception is, and what is CGC's motivation for that deception?

CGC should design their cases so that people can't use colored backgrounds behind them.  Yet another design flaw.