• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions: I know what I would do, but what would you do???
2 2

Going to the home of a comic seller that listed a comic collection on Craigslist...  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Would you go if the collection looked promising and you want to see it, or not???

• Yes
    • No
    • Bring an army
    • You're crazy if you do

11 posts in this topic

I found a 300-plus comic collection for sale on Craigslist on 01/22/24.  It was just posted the day before.  After looking through some of the collection photos online, I saw great potential, but I would have to see the collection in it's entirety.  I contacted the seller through Craigslist email to ask and make a rough offer.  I always request a neutral meeting spot about halfway between locations if it's more than a 5-hour round trip.  They aren't willing to leave the house because they are 'taking care of family' and can't be gone for long periods of time. hm

Being retired military, I usually go with my gut instincts...probably saved my life a few times.  It's very tempting, but my Spidey-tingle is pinging big time.  I have a hard enough time driving through city traffic by myself, thanks to my diagnosed anxiety/PTSD.  Even halfway would cause me stress. :(

What would you do if you were in my shoes, based on what I've shared in this post?  Would you do it, or would you not?

I hesitate to vote on your safety with the info given.

Nothing in that strikes me as odd, but I still wouldn't vote "to go" on your behalf unless to you it makes sense. Go with your gut, more info not necessarily needed, but nothing in that strikes me as odd.

I don't do craigslist and I agree about the safe meet place though, and without reasons further I say trust your gut. Any red flag in your post is a "common red flag", and depending on the amount of money they're asking for you to take with you or "other info"....

Trust your gut. @Galen130

On 1/22/2024 at 1:19 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I hesitate to vote on your safety with the info given.

Nothing in that strikes me as odd, but I still wouldn't vote "to go" on your behalf unless to you it makes sense. Go with your gut, more info not necessarily needed, but nothing in that strikes me as odd.

I don't do craigslist and I agree about the safe meet place though, and without reasons further I say trust your gut. Any red flag in your post is a "common red flag", and depending on the amount of money they're asking for you to take with you or "other info"....

Trust your gut. @Galen130

I decided against it.  It looked like a pretty good collection, but there were red flags all over the place.  Even my wife agrees.  That's enough for me. :)

On 1/23/2024 at 1:21 PM, Nick Furious said:

Would they meet you at a public location somewhere closer to their house, so they didn't have to be gone for a long period of time?  

Nope...said they wouldn't leave the house, had to be done there.  Plus, it would have been a two and a half-hour drive for me. :(

On 1/23/2024 at 2:25 PM, Galen130 said:

Nope...said they wouldn't leave the house, had to be done there.  Plus, it would have been a two and a half-hour drive for me. :(

Then they failed the test, in my opinion.  If they had agreed to any public area meeting, I would have felt better about going to their house.  

On 2/3/2024 at 12:10 PM, Pontoon said:

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any collections I've bought that didn't involve a trip to the seller's residence.

You enjoy living dangerously. I'd wager you occasionally leave your house without your cell phone or even a water bottle.  We are a dying breed.