• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another UK "Free Gift" question
2 2

10 posts in this topic

This is the Marvel UK version of Secret Wars 1. As far as I can tell, there as never been a copy of this graded. It was distributed with a gift set of transfers taped to the cover. Most of the copies I have seen have the  transfers removed but have tape residue/staining left behind form the removal. If the transfers were removed, it would receive a Qualified Label since this (unlike the plastic model kits) does look like something flat that could be encapsulated. Is this correct? My interpretation of the CGC grading books suggests a gift taped to the front would not be treated like other tape on a comic. The central question is in what form should a book like this be sent to CGC. Gifts attached? Gifts removed?

PXL_20240123_023217926.jpg

• Administrator

Hello @scburdet

Thank you for reaching out to us and sharing the image of your book. To be sure, I am offering the correct information, I have reached out to our grading team to confirm how this book should be submitted.

I will provide you with a follow-up as soon as possible.  

On 1/24/2024 at 3:31 PM, NickiO CS said:

Hello @scburdet

Thank you for reaching out to us and sharing the image of your book. To be sure, I am offering the correct information, I have reached out to our grading team to confirm how this book should be submitted.

I will provide you with a follow-up as soon as possible.  

Hello NickiO :)

This question comes up often, and sometimes the answers provided aren't always consistent. Below is the most recent one that I can find, from your colleague CrystalM (hoping the 'M' doesn't stand for Meth).

If you think about it, there are only really two types of free gift. Flat ones, like stickers, transfers etc, which can sit inside a slab without causing damage to the comic, and items that aren't flat like badges and toys and such. Obviously, they can't go in the slab. Would it be possible for CGC to develop one stock answer which could then be placed in the glossary or 'what we can and can't slab' page? You could then refer each questioner to that. It doesn't already exist, does it?

On 3/23/2023 at 1:07 PM, CrystalM CS said:
Hello again! From the Graders:

The affect of Distribution markings/writing on a book is determined by size and location. A high-grade book with small and/or unobtrusive markings can still achieve a grade of 9.6-9.8. As the markings grow larger and/or more obtrusive there may be a slight downgrade for such, but generally not too significant.

Concerning the free gifts:
If the gift is a flat paper or cardboard item, like stickers, masks, boomerangs, etc. it will be encapsulated with the book (placed inside the book). For these items, the book will generally be graded Qualified incomplete if the gift is not included with the submission.

For the plastic figures or toys attached to the covers, unfortunately due to the design of our holders we are unable to encapsulate items with the gifts still attached. However, when grading a book where the gift has been removed, we will not Qualify the book as incomplete, but we will note in the key comments that the book was originally "distributed with free gift (not included.)"

• Administrator

Hello @Get Marwood & I

I have received confirmation that as long as the adhered item (sticker, transfer, etc). is flat it can be submitted as is and will be slabbed with the time attached. 

Please note that there may always be individual situations when the grading team may need to make an exception to this general guideline in order to encapsulate the book safely. 

If you have any other questions, please let us know. 

On 1/24/2024 at 5:21 PM, NickiO CS said:

Hello @Get Marwood & I

I have received confirmation that as long as the adhered item (sticker, transfer, etc). is flat it can be submitted as is and will be slabbed with the time attached. 

Please note that there may always be individual situations when the grading team may need to make an exception to this general guideline in order to encapsulate the book safely. 

OK, thanks, so it seems that @scburdet can send in his Secret Wars as is, with the transfers attached, confident that it will be graded. 

That specific case aside, I do think it is possible for CGC to provide standard criteria as to the slabbing of comics and magazines that come with free gifts attached / present. I would imagine that an 'if it's flat we can, if it's not we can't' position would cover the majority of potential submission types. A 'this is what we can', 'this is what we can't', 'this is how we will treat them' section on the main page would be great to see, in the same way that you have a section on how polybags are treated.  Perhaps you could feed that suggestion back to the grading team for us? The UK especially has a lot of comics with free gifts so you will always be coming up against this question. 

On 1/24/2024 at 12:54 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

specific case aside, I do think it is possible for CGC to provide standard criteria

I made a similar request about Rampage 1, which has a plastic model. I don't think they made the post public & the correspondence after posting was in email. CGC apparently update it's official standards recently to exclude the plastic model's absence from requiring a green label. But, like you, I think this policy should be documented somewhere that can be found easily 

On 1/24/2024 at 6:57 PM, scburdet said:

I made a similar request about Rampage 1, which has a plastic model. I don't think they made the post public & the correspondence after posting was in email. CGC apparently update it's official standards recently to exclude the plastic model's absence from requiring a green label. But, like you, I think this policy should be documented somewhere that can be found easily 

Hopefully NickiO will feed that suggestion back :wishluck:

• Administrator

Hello @Get Marwood & I

I would be happy to share the feedback. I can never guarantee changes will be implemented but I am also happy to bring up the collector suggestions with the management and grading teams. 

Thank you for your feedback and support! 

On 1/25/2024 at 9:35 PM, NickiO CS said:

Thank you for your feedback and support! 

You're welcome :)