• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the silver age first appearance of Lois lane
2 2

16 posts in this topic

I am currently trying to decipher the first Silver age appearance of Lois lane.

I have read through several of these threads about the first silver age appearance of several DC characters such as Green Arrow and Aquaman. I'm not sure if I agree with a lot of analysis and information given.. It seems everyone is split on a few of these issues such as showcase # 30 VS adventure comics 260. Even though showcase is a reprint of adventure 260 and is a year after people still claim. Showcase thirty is the first appearance which just simply cannot be.

What I've noticed a lot of people have disregarded and might not understand is Golden Age VS silver age for DC. These characters are 2 separate people. Golden age is earth two silver age is earth one... Even though there might not be a distinct Moment For certain characters such as Wonder Woman Batman Superman. I would assume the retelling of the origin Would be the first appearance because the origins were retooled As though they were a different person because they had a different origin than the original from Golden Age.

The internet says Louis lane's first Silverado. Appearance is adventure comics one twenty eight because she meets super boy of earth one... But it's from 1946. The silver age first appeared showcase # 4 October 1956.. So any 1's appearance after October 1956 would be their first silver age appearance. Anything prior to october nineteen fifty six would be golden age.

Without being said, what would be the community's consensus on the first solar age appearance of lois lane.

I would say worlds finest #84 or jimmy olsen #16

On 1/23/2024 at 1:18 AM, Grantross said:

I would say worlds finest #84 or jimmy olsen #16

On 1/23/2024 at 12:40 PM, marvelmaniac said:

if you are using Showcase 4 as the beginning of the Silver Age

According to Mike's Amazing World website, here are the DCs on the newsstand in July 1956 when Showcase 4 hits the stands:

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/main/features/newsstand.php?publisher=dc&type=cover&month=9&year=1956&sort=alpha

Showcase 4  hits the stands on July 5th, 1956. The next Superman title to follow that date was Jimmy Olsen #15, which was on the stands around July 19th, 1956 (all the other Superman-related titles shown on Mike's site are on the stands after that July date)

Excerpt from Jimmy Olsen #15:

image.thumb.png.7159f6670135b7cd835194c69b5487b2.png

On 1/23/2024 at 1:18 AM, Grantross said:

first appeared showcase # 4 October 1956

Not all wholeheartedly embrace this, and a hard line is misleading. For example, Woodstock happened earlier in Woodstock than it did in Des Moines, as did the summer of love. Lois is like Archie, kind of timeless .... who could tell when earth 1 and 2 swapped out? It might be fun to scroll through some covers and to speculate, however hm. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 1/23/2024 at 1:43 PM, Yorick said:

Action Comics #1.

That would be Golden Age, not silver age. That was my point a lot of people are not understanding that Golden Age and silver age are 2 separate people. Golden Age Superman and Golden Age Louis lane are Earth. Two silver age is earth one...

On 1/23/2024 at 11:40 AM, marvelmaniac said:

According to the web, if you are using Showcase 4 as the beginning of the Silver Age then Lois Lane's first Silver Age appearance would be Action Comics 221 (Oct 1956) or Action Comics 222 (Nov 1956).

https://dcuguide.com/w/Lois_Lane_(Silver_Age)_Chronology

I would be using showcase number 4 because everyone agrees. That is the first appearance of this silver age. Everything past showcase 4 is silver age.

The really is not a hard line line in the comics. Knowing exactly the change from Golden Age to silver edge but Since silver age first appeared in showcase number four october nineteen fifty six I would assume every book from october 1956 Up until infinity crisis. The mid-eighties is when we got new earth.

On 1/23/2024 at 12:52 PM, DanCooper said:

According to Mike's Amazing World website, here are the DCs on the newsstand in July 1956 when Showcase 4 hits the stands:

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/main/features/newsstand.php?publisher=dc&type=cover&month=9&year=1956&sort=alpha

Showcase 4  hits the stands on July 5th, 1956. The next Superman title to follow that date was Jimmy Olsen #15, which was on the stands around July 19th, 1956 (all the other Superman-related titles shown on Mike's site are on the stands after that July date)

Excerpt from Jimmy Olsen #15:

image.thumb.png.7159f6670135b7cd835194c69b5487b2.png

Showcase#4 came out in october 1956. If a different website says it was on the stands in July, then they're incorrect.

Not trying to argue but everything says october 1956

On 1/23/2024 at 12:59 PM, jimjum12 said:

Not all wholeheartedly embrace this, and a hard line is misleading. For example, Woodstock happened earlier in Woodstock than it did in Des Moines, as did the summer of love. Lois is like Archie, kind of timeless .... who could tell when earth 1 and 2 swapped out? It might be fun to scroll through some covers and to speculate, however hm. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Screenshot_20240126_213605_Chrome.jpg

On 1/23/2024 at 11:40 AM, marvelmaniac said:

According to the web, if you are using Showcase 4 as the beginning of the Silver Age then Lois Lane's first Silver Age appearance would be Action Comics 221 (Oct 1956) or Action Comics 222 (Nov 1956).

https://dcuguide.com/w/Lois_Lane_(Silver_Age)_Chronology

Pretty neat list, but according to this finest number 82 would be her for a silver age appearance since that is the first Issue she's in october 1956

@DanCooper gave you the correct answer earlier in this thread if you accept the hypothesis that the Silver Age began with Showcase 4. Showcase 4 is actually a bi-monthly so it was September/October 1956. Displayed cover dates (in this case October) are when they go OFF the newsstands. Showcase 4 was available to purchase on the 3rd of July according to https://www.comics.org/issue/13042/  The next DC comic released was Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen 15 on the 17th of July 1956 and Lois (not Louis!?!) appeared in one page of that issue. Lois featured in the September Action (not sure about the September Superman) but both went on sale a week or so AFTER the Jimmy Olsen. 

image.thumb.png.7159f6670135b7cd835194c69b5487b2.png.37fae802b3961e6b385ccccff324d9f0.png

what's more important here maybe is Jimmy Olsen with the powers of The Flash published in the same month Showcase 4 appears.  Superspeed tryout ? Infections bullpen gossip, where one editor uses an idea going on elsewhere in the office?  (or were the editors of Showcase also Jimmy's editor at that time?

I think the real question may be "What was the first appearance of the Earth-1 Lois Lane?", rather than "What was the first appearance of the Silver Age Lois Lane?"  The answer to that question is, correctly, Adventure 128 (presuming the information above is correct) because, in DC lore, the Earth-2 Superman was never Superboy.  So the earliest Earth-1 stories were the early Superboy stories, even if that only became apparent in retrospect.  Similarly, the last story that is considered to be of the Earth-2 Superman before they officially established the whole Infinite Earths concept was Superman #128, from 1959, because the story relies on Superman having never been Superboy.  But stories that had to be the Earth-1 rather than Earth-2 version had been appearing for a while now.

Earth-1 is not purely Silver Age and Earth-2 is not purely Golden Age in the stories themselves, even if they do mark the general boundaries.

So, unless somebody can point to an in-story reason why something is considered the 1st Silver Age Lois, you can pretty much pick whatever date you want to start the Silver Age at (and Showcase #4 is probably the most popular choice), and go with the issue closest to that.