• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Westfield Comic Boxes...
14 14

316 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I always found the Nosferatu version of Dracula the creepiest.  Nosferatu was the basis for the vampire in the Steven King tv mini-series "Salem's Lot" when I was a kid and it scared the bejeezus out of me!  King's "Salem's Lot" is a GREAT read by the way... think I read somewhere that it's his personal favorite of all his books...

feb 98 36.jpg

Edited by EastEnd1

Ok let's finish off this feb 1998 box...

Seeing a re-intro of Werewolf By Night definitely got my interest.  I hadn't collected the original Werewolf By Night series in the 1970s, but I grew up on the Universal monster movies and the Werewolf was my favorite... I always felt bad for Lawrence Talbot who never wanted to harm people but couldn't control his werewolf curse.  Anyway, a neat gothic cover on this first issue but looks like the re-intro ultimately didn't pan out.

feb 98 42.jpg

The very first "expensive" back issue I ever bought was Iron Man #2.  It was maybe a VG copy and it cost me a whopping $3.50 at Mike's Comic Hut in Flushing NY around 1978.  I bought a #1 about a year later for $15 at the same place.  I know they don't sound so expensive but I was a young teen used to paying $.25 to $.40 cents at the time for new comics!  I was very much into Iron Man in my early collecting days... I discovered the character during the great Dave Michelinie / Bob Layton run that gave us such classics as Demon In a Bottle (#128) and Iron Man ultimately became my favorite Marvel character and the first Marvel series that I completed.  Alas, I eventually got away from Iron Man, and looks like I only ordered one copy of his volume 3 re-launch...

(Oh and I still own the Iron Man #1 and #2... they're beat up but definitely keepers... too nostalgic for me.) 

feb 98 47.jpg

I was a big fan of Art Adams work on Longshot when that mini-series originally came out.  Adams wasn't very prolific... think I heard somewhere that he struggled meeting deadlines with all the detail he put in his art.  Looks like Michael Zulli tried to replicate Adams style on this cover, but doesn't quite get there in my view...

feb 98 49.jpg