• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Westfield Comic Boxes...
12 12

197 posts in this topic

On 3/13/2024 at 2:53 PM, NoChance said:

Thank you for sharing. Saw you mentioned Scooby-Doo. Any coming up?

I haven't come across any Scooby-Doos yet, but if there were any new Scooby -Doo series that came out during the period I wasn't opening boxes, I definitely would have ordered at least the first issues.  Scooby-Doo takes me right back to my grammar school days and would have been very nostalgic for me.  Will keep an eye out and post any I come across!

I'm still waiting for another order of books to come back from CGC, but what I think I'm going to do is skip ahead of those boxes and just start showing the latest group of boxes I've opened with the books just in their raw "out of the box" condition.  Some of them will ultimately be sent in for grading, and I'll re-post those books down the road when they're graded.  I'll also post a lot more books from each box as I've come to learn that there are a lot of varied tastes in the modern age and one thing I was pretty good at when I was ordering was variety... my interests were all over the place, and all genres and publishers wound up in the boxes.  So hopefully there should be something coming for everyone.  And if you do have very specific collecting tastes, maybe some of these "other" books I'll be posting will catch your interest and get you thinking about trying something different.  The modern age was/is definitely very rich in diverse material!

I'm going to jump into the box from May 2000 now.  This was one of the rare boxes that actually did arrive pretty damaged... bad crunches on two corners, one of which split wide open!  This box I did open at the time to check on the books in case I had to return any damaged ones.  But amazingly enough, all the books were fine!  Kudos to styrofoam peanuts!  So I just taped up the bad corner and put the box in storage with the rest of them... until now...

may 2000 1.jpg

may 2000 2.jpg

may 2000 3.jpg

may 2000 4.jpg

may 2000 5.jpg

So the book right on top was a Punisher Vol 3 #3, featuring a Daredevil guest appearance, and polybagged with a "Marvel Knights / Marvel Boy Genesis Edition" free comic.  Another great Tim Bradstreet cover on this one, with a pretty cool skull in the background made out to appear as a large moon...

may 2000 6.jpg

may 2000 7.jpg

And last one for tonight (more still to come from this box though) is this JSA #11.  I stayed with this series for maybe it's entire run, much of which wasn't very attention grabbing.  But this execution cover is definitely a stand out... 

may 2000 14.jpg

Neil Gaiman's Sandman might be the best scripted comic series ever (though there's some work from fellow Brit Alan Moore that I think gives it a run).  The character Lucifer was first introduced in issue #4.  Apparently his look was modeled after David Bowie (though I'm not quite seeing that here).  I do wish I'd ordered more than one copy of the first issue of Lucifer's own title though... think I'd ordered four Sandman #1s but dropped the ball here... 

may 2000 18.jpg

Now that's what I call a face only a mother could love... though it does make one hell of a comic book cover.  For those unfamiliar with the character, his name is "Arseface"... I think you can understand the reference (though his origin is quite tragic).

may 2000 19.jpg

Dark Horse hit the trifecta when they got the comic book rights to Aliens, Predator and the Terminator, three of the most popular film villains from 1980s horror/sci-fi.  So how could you go wrong ordering a comic featuring all three!  Interestingly, the film business would later mimic some of Dark Horse's team-ups...

may 2000 20.jpg