• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Westfield Comic Boxes...
12 12

197 posts in this topic

On 4/6/2024 at 3:22 PM, BA773 said:

I dont care of Marvel but... Black Bolt is definitely my favourite charachter! 

That's a unique favorite Marvel character... what is it that interests you about Black Bolt?

I just finished reading through this and I really enjoyed the look back at what was my early collecting days. I think I started seriously collecting around 1995/1996. I definitely recognize the look (trade dress?) of many of the Marvel covers you've posted. I think the only comic you've posted that I bought myself when it came out is Captain America (Volume 3) #6 with Cap as a Skrull. I do also have the Starship Troopers miniseries you posted the first issue of and the entire Earth X limited series, but bought those long after they were published.

What's most interesting to me is that when I switched from subscribing through Marvel to subscribing through Direct Comic Book Service (DCBS), I branched out from a strictly Marvel pull list and starting buying a lot of books from DC and other publishers. Scrolling through the DCBS website looking at all the covers and synopsis was a ton of fun, much like your experience with the Westfield catalogs. Sometimes I was hoping to buy something that turned into a big book later on but probably the only time that worked out was Spider-Man Noir.

I'm looking forward to continuing to see what books you unbox. I don't think you've posted any Fantastic Four issues yet, though. I hope there are some waiting to be rediscovered.

On 4/7/2024 at 2:40 PM, EastEnd1 said:

That's a unique favorite Marvel character... what is it that interests you about Black Bolt?

I d never really have some reason to explain it...

Maybe because is Mute... or rather "intentionally" mute 

On 4/7/2024 at 2:35 PM, Mr. Spider-Woman said:

I just finished reading through this and I really enjoyed the look back at what was my early collecting days. I think I started seriously collecting around 1995/1996. I definitely recognize the look (trade dress?) of many of the Marvel covers you've posted. I think the only comic you've posted that I bought myself when it came out is Captain America (Volume 3) #6 with Cap as a Skrull. I do also have the Starship Troopers miniseries you posted the first issue of and the entire Earth X limited series, but bought those long after they were published.

What's most interesting to me is that when I switched from subscribing through Marvel to subscribing through Direct Comic Book Service (DCBS), I branched out from a strictly Marvel pull list and starting buying a lot of books from DC and other publishers. Scrolling through the DCBS website looking at all the covers and synopsis was a ton of fun, much like your experience with the Westfield catalogs. Sometimes I was hoping to buy something that turned into a big book later on but probably the only time that worked out was Spider-Man Noir.

I'm looking forward to continuing to see what books you unbox. I don't think you've posted any Fantastic Four issues yet, though. I hope there are some waiting to be rediscovered.

Thanks for your back story!  You raise a good point... switching over to the Westfield subscription service definitely opened my eyes to whole lot of different genres and publishers.  When I was buying from my LCS in the late 1970s and early 1980s, it was pretty much DC and Marvel superhero, with a smattering of the more popular independents when they showed up in the early/mid eighties.  I guess without realizing it, I was limited to what ever the LCS ordered which was always going to be the stuff that sold reliably.  Westfield offered EVERYTHING, which opened up a whole new comic book world for me to explore.  And it was something I eagerly embraced, as I think you can tell from the variety I've been able to post so far.

On the Fantastic Four, I actually wasn't a huge fan... early on I was buying FFs sporadically but I did make them a regular monthly purchase when John Byrne took over.  Once the regular series was ended, I was pretty much out on FF.  But having said that, continuing with the box I have been posting, I did pick up a few first issues of FF volume three...

jan 98 g.jpg

As I alluded to, in the mid/late 1990s, Marvel made the controversial move of killing many of their major long running titles, and re-starting them first with lengthy 12 issue mini-series, and then with new long-running tiles starting over from #1 (ie, the "volume 3" series).  DC had done something similar after Crisis on Infinite Earths.  The FF#1s I posted above were part of that effort.  The reasoning Marvel gave at the time was that it was difficult to attract new readers to the long running series because of the complex continuity that had been built up. Personally, I (and many others) thought it had more to do with getting some juice out of issuing new #1s.  Frankly, as a long time run collector, Marvel's plan failed miserably with me... ending those long running titles made an exceptional JUMPING OFF point, so I simply stopped buying a bunch of Marvel titles entirely!  I think a lot of other collecters felt the same because after a while, Marvel started putting the old numbering below the new numbering on their new titles! 

Anyway, here's the Captain America "volume 3" restart...

jan 98 f.jpg

jan 98 f1.jpg

The Westfield catalog also usually had a small "adults only" comic section.  This one was an interesting "photo comic" from Draculina Publishing, based on an exploitation film called "Tender Flesh".  The comic was made up of still photos from the film with overlayed "comic-style" lettering.  I'd have posted a few images but I think it would have gotten me banned from the boards... and now unfortunately the book's been encapsulated, so no one will ever see! :shiftyeyes:.   

mar 98 4.jpg

mar 98 4a.jpg

February 1998 also came with a neat freebie from Westfield... a Barry Windsor-Smith ashcan!  I think Dark Horse may have put something out with these characters...

mar 98 5.jpg

Thanks to the early access that Westfield gave me, I had pre-ordered two copies of the first Evil Ernie comic (and all the other issues in the original series) way back when.  Again, it was the horror angle that drew me.  I still have those stashed away somewhere in what should be pretty nice shape.  March 1998 saw this Evil Ernie comic...

mar 98 10.jpg

I remember enjoying the Aircel books during the "Black and White" boom of the mid-1980s which, under the helm of Barry Blair, were a step above much of the other small publisher black and white drek common during that time.  Dragonring, Samurai and Elflord stand out for me.  Warlock 5 was a good one too.  Looks like the book attempted a bit of a comeback with Sirius in early 1998...

mar 98 11.jpg

On 4/11/2024 at 7:26 PM, EastEnd1 said:

Next box up is from March 1998...

mar 98 1.jpg

mar 98 2.jpg

This is the work of Werner Wejp-Olsen (also known as WOW), who was a long time fixture of Scandinavian comic strips. This was #1 of a three issue series where he attempted to introduce his most famous character to the US comic book market. It didn't really go any better than his earlier attempts in the US newspaper comic strips market. But he had a long career in Denmark. Not everything plays well to every audience, I suppose.

Here is a retrospective from one of his former US editors, written after his death in 2018.

On 4/11/2024 at 7:39 PM, EastEnd1 said:

The Westfield catalog also usually had a small "adults only" comic section.  This one was an interesting "photo comic" from Draculina Publishing, based on an exploitation film called "Tender Flesh".  The comic was made up of still photos from the film with overlayed "comic-style" lettering.  I'd have posted a few images but I think it would have gotten me banned from the boards... and now unfortunately the book's been encapsulated, so no one will ever see! :shiftyeyes:.   

mar 98 4.jpg

mar 98 4a.jpg

Draculina was Hugh Gallagher's publishing house for horror magazines, smut, and a lot of stuff in between. He worked on the Tender Flesh film, so it's no surprise there's a comic of it, although he doesn't have good things to say about the comics industry! Draculina was a print publisher from ~1997 through 2001ish, but it's still around in a limited fashion for online material.

Here's an interview with Gallagher about the company's history. Fair warning, he's got some ... opinions.

On 4/11/2024 at 7:44 PM, EastEnd1 said:

February 1998 also came with a neat freebie from Westfield... a Barry Windsor-Smith ashcan!  I think Dark Horse may have put something out with these characters...

mar 98 5.jpg

A bunch of these were given out at SDCC, along with other promo distribution channels like this one. As a result, these aren't all that rare, but it's kind of a neat book. I assume there are Barry Windsor-Smith fans out there even if he did do Wildstorm Rising.

On 4/11/2024 at 7:56 PM, EastEnd1 said:

I really enjoyed Kurt Busiek's Astro City comics... this one has yet another amazing Alex Ross cover.  Touching and poignant...

mar 98 7.jpg

Astro City is underrated, and that cover is fantastic.

On 4/12/2024 at 7:59 PM, EastEnd1 said:

I remember enjoying the Aircel books during the "Black and White" boom of the mid-1980s which, under the helm of Barry Blair, were a step above much of the other small publisher black and white drek common during that time.  Dragonring, Samurai and Elflord stand out for me.  Warlock 5 was a good one too.  Looks like the book attempted a bit of a comeback with Sirius in early 1998...

mar 98 11.jpg

Interesting series, really. Originally, this wasn't a Barry Blair title at all. It started off (at Aircel) written by a guy named Gordon Derry, with art by Denis Beauvais (Aliens, Predator, and lots of D&D stuff). But those two guys had a fallout of some sort with Aircel and both left. The next few issues were written by now-famous fantasy author Charles de Lint and (in part) illustrated by Dale Keown (Pitt, Incredible Hulk, etc)!

But ultimately, Blair took over the title for the last several books in the original run, then rebooted it for the 2nd series with Aircel. In 1998, Sirius picked it up for four issues, again written and illustrated by Blair. Blair's art style is somewhat controversial, but he was undeniably a talented guy. That said, this wasn't his story or his world, and it sort of shows.

Derry and Beauvais eventually were able to put out an omnibus book reprinting the 13 issues they did for the original run, along with two issues that were never published (because they were replaced with de Lint's stuff).