• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Westfield Comic Boxes...
12 12

197 posts in this topic

On 2/27/2024 at 8:59 AM, EastEnd1 said:

Westfield did do a great job of packaging.  When I'm going through a box and I see an issue with some value, I'd say about 80% of the time, it will have 9.8 potential.  And that also holds for the 440 books I'm choosing not to submit... most have 9.8 potential.

On 2/27/2024 at 8:59 AM, EastEnd1 said:

I do remember a few instances when a box arrived crunched at one corner which impacted the books inside, but this was rare.  There's one box I just pulled that was badly crunched on two sides, one corner actually completely cracked open, but the books inside were still perfect.  Those styrofoam packing peanuts really work!  

I don't know if others would care, but in the next batch you open, you should take some photos of their packing job.  I'm curious to see how everything was packed up, and a lot of people could learn a thing or two about how to ship comics out properly.

On 2/28/2024 at 10:07 AM, masterlogan2000 said:

I don't know if others would care, but in the next batch you open, you should take some photos of their packing job.  I'm curious to see how everything was packed up, and a lot of people could learn a thing or two about how to ship comics out properly.

Sure thing... I'll try to take a few more pictures of that with the next box I open.  There will be a few more intervening boxes that I've already photographed before then though.  It's kind of what I've been showing... the comics are centered in the box with styrofoam peanuts all around and on top, but there's a few more details I can show. 

Now I had no idea who this character was... but that is one heck of a modern GGA cover :shiftyeyes:!  You know it's good girl art because of the angel's wings (bet you were too distracted to notice those weren't you!).

jun 1998 6.jpg

jun 1998 6a.jpg

On 3/4/2024 at 7:19 PM, EastEnd1 said:

I had to go hunting for the title of this comic... it's Battle Chasers #1 with a pretty nifty Joe Maduriera cover.  I was ordering at least one copy of just about every Image first issue at this time...

jun 1998 7.jpg

I loved battle chasers and all the variants... spent way to much money collecting ungradable raw copies back in the day, that book was white hot (especially the Red Monika covers). Before starting my X-Men (1991) run I really considered revisiting this title and completing a full run.

On 3/5/2024 at 9:45 AM, DougC said:

I loved battle chasers and all the variants... spent way to much money collecting ungradable raw copies back in the day, that book was white hot (especially the Red Monika covers). Before starting my X-Men (1991) run I really considered revisiting this title and completing a full run.

Cool nostalgia.  I noticed that there were a lot of variant covers for this title, but this was the only one I ordered.  The Westfield order form would list all the different variant covers, and maybe at the beginning of the trend I was ordering a lot of them.  But by this time, I'd come to the conclusion that they were all just a scam to extract more money from my wallet... though I always did appreciate that they could be worth more money in the long run.  Think I just decided that I'd focus my money-making efforts on the older books rather than the variants.    

I started using Westfield's Subscription service starting in August of 1983.  My nearest LCS at the time was like 50 miles away and not only did I get tired of the drive but by the time I'd get there (typically on the weekends), most of the new issues I were after were already sold out.  When I signed up with Westfield, I never missed an issue again.  LOVED getting that monthly shipment.  It was like Christmas once a month all year long.

Furthermore, I thought the Westfield catalog's were awesome.  A majority of the time, the covers of the catalog's were done by professional's in the industry.  One I distinctly remember was this fantastic Grendel (Hunter Rose) cover by Matt Wagner.  Which in turn started me reading Grendel (all incarnations). But original art covers?  Nice!  I still wish I had some of them.

And the selection of what you could purchase went above and beyond.  I was into the Doc Savage paperback reprints by Bantam and I could order those from Westfield too!  Again, it saved me from having to go to either a Waldenbooks or a B. Dalton book store to find the latest release.

Then there was the customer service.  Any problems with a recent order, I'd call and always speak to "Mary."  Always helpful, always friendly.

I pretty much dropped out of comics in the late 80's/early 90's and consequently Westfield because there was just this explosion of comics.  I was willing to try and keep up but finally the wallet spoke up and reminded me that due to other obligations, my discretionary income was not as vast as it used to be.

Sorry, @EastEnd1, my intent was not to derail your wonderful thread.  Just another Westfield alumni here.  I think I read once where Kurt Busiek was also a Westfield customer!

On 3/5/2024 at 2:11 PM, workingdog said:

I started using Westfield's Subscription service starting in August of 1983.  My nearest LCS at the time was like 50 miles away and not only did I get tired of the drive but by the time I'd get there (typically on the weekends), most of the new issues I were after were already sold out.  When I signed up with Westfield, I never missed an issue again.  LOVED getting that monthly shipment.  It was like Christmas once a month all year long.

Furthermore, I thought the Westfield catalog's were awesome.  A majority of the time, the covers of the catalog's were done by professional's in the industry.  One I distinctly remember was this fantastic Grendel (Hunter Rose) cover by Matt Wagner.  Which in turn started me reading Grendel (all incarnations). But original art covers?  Nice!  I still wish I had some of them.

And the selection of what you could purchase went above and beyond.  I was into the Doc Savage paperback reprints by Bantam and I could order those from Westfield too!  Again, it saved me from having to go to either a Waldenbooks or a B. Dalton book store to find the latest release.

Then there was the customer service.  Any problems with a recent order, I'd call and always speak to "Mary."  Always helpful, always friendly.

I pretty much dropped out of comics in the late 80's/early 90's and consequently Westfield because there was just this explosion of comics.  I was willing to try and keep up but finally the wallet spoke up and reminded me that due to other obligations, my discretionary income was not as vast as it used to be.

Sorry, @EastEnd1, my intent was not to derail your wonderful thread.  Just another Westfield alumni here.  I think I read once where Kurt Busiek was also a Westfield customer!

Hey, nice to meet a fellow Westfielder!  Fun to compare notes on our experiences... looks like they line up pretty well.  And before I say much more, if there are other Westfield alums with stories to tell, definitely feel free to post them here... no derail concerns at all... more like color commentary!

I'd forgotten about the original art on the catalog covers.  Definitely drove me to order a few comics as well.  It's true that getting the order from Westfield each month was like opening Christmas presents and I almost felt the same when I got the new catalog each month... was a lot of fun to page through and see what was coming out in the coming months.  Again, there was no internet so getting forward looking info wasn't as easy back then.  I think I threw all those catalogs out after I completed my order, but I'll see if I can track one down and try to post it.  I'm pretty sure I have some of my old order forms that even pre-date these boxes, that maybe I can show as well.  

I also had "Mary" as my customer service rep... so funny you remember her name.  I've just been reading it on the receipts I've found as I open these boxes.  Don't think I had a need to talk to her more than two or three times.  Thanks for the stories...