• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2024 CGC Grading Contest Season 3 Winter Edition (#9) Round 1
16 16

158 posts in this topic

Wow. Rocket Squad a 6.0!?? :insane: 

With that big bc tear, water-stains and thoroughly rusted staple??

6.0!? :roflmao:

I was pretty harsh on shell-head, that lower spine corner-ding/crunch and color-loss across the top, put it at 7.5 for me. 

The rest I was fairly close. 

But really, that first one is terrible. meh

On 1/29/2024 at 8:17 PM, zzutak said:

I would've nailed Book #3 (Comet #1) if I hadn't assigned the book a one grade increment deduction for the "unwitnessed" creator signature.  If only we had been told that it was appropriately witnessed and that Signature Series encapsulations were fair game.  D-oh!  :boo:

03x1b.jpg.6ac27b969583fc5b86e0da6f3ca9e59b.jpg

Yikes, I thought that was part of the art, lol

On 1/29/2024 at 8:19 PM, jcjames said:

I was pretty harsh on shell-head, that lower spine corner-ding/crunch and color-loss across the top, put it at 7.5 for me. 

Yep…the lower staple on the iron man book knocked it down for me. Hard to believe it gets a 9.2. ???

On 1/29/2024 at 8:09 PM, skypinkblu said:

Well, I did horribly on the Iron Man [...]

A couple of these high-grade ones had notes like 'spine stress' which was kind of a headscratcher. Given that the notes are asking us to account for flaws we can't see (or at least I couldn't!), even if we're in the right ballpark it's probably still a coin flip whether we nail them or not.

On 1/29/2024 at 8:10 PM, universal soldier said:

How can a piece missing on that Comet warrant a 6.5? doh! I thought I was being generous with a 5.5 :tonofbricks:

7 points with 1 bull.

Jeez, same as last time around.  I grade too low.  Same here on the Comet with respect to the piece out and the foreign substance on the back cover.

Did the graders miss the writing on the cover of the Comet? hm

Edit: never mind, I just noticed the yellow label! I spent a while looking that book up to check that it was not meant to be there. Not thrilled by that one, TBH

Edited by AJD

On 1/29/2024 at 6:10 PM, universal soldier said:

How can a piece missing on that Comet warrant a 6.5? doh! I thought I was being generous with a 5.5 :tonofbricks:

7 points with 1 bull.

Racket Squad in Action #1   4.0

Iron Man #4   7.5

Comet #1   5.0

HoS #90   8.5

Adventure into Fear #10  8.0

I think that's 13 points for me. Most in the first two books (heavily over-graded by CGC IMO).

But I'm in it for the fun. 

Fun. 

F - U - N

xD

On 1/29/2024 at 8:21 PM, g-man said:

Yep…the lower staple on the iron man book knocked it down for me. Hard to believe it gets a 9.2. ???

I should have known the bottom corner wear and color loss wouldn't have detracted from the overall grade on this book. But I definitely didn't think it would grade this high :/  

On 1/29/2024 at 8:25 PM, AJD said:

Did the graders miss the writing on the cover of the Comet? hm

Edit: never mind, I just noticed the yellow label! I spent a while looking that book up to check that it was not meant to be there. Not thrilled by that one, TBH

Agreed, ideally that would have been flagged. I guess I always thought all books were "Universal unless otherwise stated".  (shrug) 

On 1/29/2024 at 8:19 PM, jcjames said:

After seeing the grade on that book, I started thinking about sending my AF 15 down for regrading.

Hats off to those who started strong in this round. 

Tough round IMO, especially those two, ugh-pow!

Me after the first round:

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_JzZvgdd5HwiAFCoV3DB

On to the next round!