• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2024 CGC Grading Contest Season 3 Winter Edition (#9) Round 2
11 11

203 posts in this topic

Oof 8 points. Got killed on the Revealing Romances—guess I overestimated how much that pinhole would affect the grade. 5.5 still feels high w/o though… The rest I can live with. Been under grading everything consistently by 1-2 grades though—maybe an adjustment is in order lol.

Mopsy: 4.0 (only bullseye so far 🤦🏻‍♂️)

Romances: 3.5 (brutal +4)

Dotty: 4.5 (+1)

The pedigree: 6.5 (+2)

Farmers Daughter: 3.5 (+1)

Here’s to five bulls in the next round 🍻 

Mopsy #1  3.5

Revealing Romances #5  5.0

Dotty #36 4.5

Cutie Pie #3  6.5

Farmers Daughter #2  4.0

2 Bulls, 2 off by 1 and Cutie Pie off by 2.  I knew I should have bumped that Cutie pie a little more.

On 2/3/2024 at 9:56 PM, AbsoluteCarnage said:

Thanks for running this as all the other contests Mike. As much as some of my guesses aren't where they should be, it's 100% always fun. .A good tool overall to help everyone learn to grade.

I rly enjoy these contests and appreciate the effort Mike has taken which is considerable. But i have come to realise that I have learnt very little when it comes to grading as a result of these contests. I'm not complaining mind you but It's rly been all over the place for me. I don't deny i prob suck at at this but the grading is rly all over the place at times, probably depending on who has graded it, when it was graded and which period the book was from. Still fun regardless. 

Bombed the Mopsy, off by 3 :facepalm:. I clearly can't wrap my brain around books with missing pieces :insane:

7 points with one bull on the Cutie Pie

On 2/3/2024 at 8:35 AM, Grendel72 said:

I rly enjoy these contests and appreciate the effort Mike has taken which is considerable. But i have come to realise that I have learnt very little when it comes to grading as a result of these contests. I'm not complaining mind you but It's rly been all over the place for me. I don't deny i prob suck at at this but the grading is rly all over the place at times, probably depending on who has graded it, when it was graded and which period the book was from. Still fun regardless. 

Yeah it's kinda hit and miss my friend ;-). Sometimes I try and grade it as I think they would grade it and sometimes I try and grade it as I think it should be graded lol.

On 2/3/2024 at 10:09 AM, Point Five said:

I say something like this in these contests every year: you shouldn't beat yourself up if you can't match the impossible standard of all bullseyes. The "fun" and the challenge in these contests is trying to calibrate exactly... something that can't really be calibrated exactly.  

We are grading from scans and not actual books, CGC's own standards bob and weave as you describe, etc etc. A lot of really good graders here end up in the middle or even the back of the pack. If you can look at the posted books and get even 'in the ballpark' on CGC grades for half of them, you are way, *way* ahead of the average comic grader out there.

:cheers:

On 2/3/2024 at 10:09 AM, Point Five said:

I say something like this in these contests every year: you shouldn't beat yourself up if you can't match the impossible standard of all bullseyes. The "fun" and the challenge in these contests is trying to calibrate exactly... something that can't really be calibrated exactly.  

We are grading from scans and not actual books, CGC's own standards bob and weave as you describe, etc etc. A lot of really good graders here end up in the middle or even the back of the pack. If you can look at the posted books and get even 'in the ballpark' on CGC grades for half of them, you are way, *way* ahead of the average comic grader out there.

Especially this round.  There are really good graders who would be practically guessing how CGC would downgrade some of these defects.  Toro is a grading stud and even he had a rough round.

On 1/31/2024 at 5:33 PM, trmoore54 said:

Thought this was a pretty difficult round...especially as I am apparently a consistent under-grader to CGC on most books, especially lower grade.  So always in that case for me, stick with my initial grade (always a toggle between 2 half-grades) or bump? ???

Got distracted and forgot to look at the reveal last night (wife and I watching the new FEUD: CAPOTE AND THE SWANS...really good/enjoying it).  My best round yet...4.0 bullseye/4.5 had this book initially at 5.0/5.5 toggle and then last minute veered to 4.5 2 points/4.5 bullseye/7.0...had at 7.0/7.5 and toggled in wrong direction 1 point...and last book had at 4.0/3.5 and also toggled in wrong direction...that's a pretty fugly 4.0/VG :sumo: 4 POINTS.

On to ROUND 3 :headbang:

granted Mopsy had a bigger tear than the book they assigned a 6.5 grade to on round 1 but after seeing that tough to make a judgement call on where the grade will fall with a tear. I messed up and forgot to downgrade that book on round 1 I was so late submitting too. Fail on both tear books.