• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Qualified Grades VS Universal Grades
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I have two books that are Universal grades that have an affixed piece of paper on the interior cover where the writer and artist have numbered and autographed the book. Just recently, I've received a returned third book from grading that is exactly like the previous two. However, this book got a Qualified grade. Is this a mistake? Will CGC fix this mistake if I send it back to be re-slabbed?

• Administrator

Hello @MarkFaust

Thank you for reaching out to us. I would be happy to review the labeling of your books. Can you please provide the certification number for these three books? 

I look forward to your reply. If you have any other questions, please let us know. 

On 1/28/2024 at 3:46 AM, MarkFaust said:

I have two books that are Universal grades that have an affixed piece of paper on the interior cover where the writer and artist have numbered and autographed the book. Just recently, I've received a returned third book from grading that is exactly like the previous two. However, this book got a Qualified grade. Is this a mistake? Will CGC fix this mistake if I send it back to be re-slabbed?

Seems like the first 2 are where CGC made the error

Faust Premiere Edition #1 (Northstar Publishing) - 4369024011 - (Interior signed/numbered 390/1000) - QUALIFIED Grade

Omega #1 (Northstar Publishing) -3699962004 - (Interior signed/numbered 159/1000) - UNIVERSAL Grade

Northstar #1 (Northstar Publishing) - 4226213002 - (Interior signed/numbered 180/1000) - UNIVERSAL Grade

On 1/28/2024 at 12:46 AM, MarkFaust said:

I have two books that are Universal grades that have an affixed piece of paper on the interior cover where the writer and artist have numbered and autographed the book. Just recently, I've received a returned third book from grading that is exactly like the previous two. However, this book got a Qualified grade. Is this a mistake?

No mistake.  There are a number of specific blemishes/defects that make an otherwise high-grade book eligible to receive a Qualified Grade.  Two such blemishes are unwitnessed creator signatures on the cover and stickers placed on the inside cover.  When a CGC Grader encounters such a book, he/she has the option to either (1) account for the blemish/defect and assign the book a Universal Grade, or (2) ignore the blemish/defect and award the book a higher Qualified Grade (unless the customer/submitter has explicitally requested that the book be assigned a Universal Grade).

The Qualified Grade is not a mistake; 9.8 reflects the condition grade of the book excluding the interior cover blemish/defect.  That being said, if you'd like to see this book encapsulated with a blue label, submit it for regrading (on your dime) -- but be certain to indicate on the submission form that you want it to be assigned a Universal Grade.  Just don't expect that the book will still receive a 9.8 (because it will not).  :foryou:

"Detached cover" is another defect that makes an otherwise high-grade book eligible to receive a Qualified Grade.  Would you prefer the book to be encapsulated with a green label in the NM range or a blue label in the VG range?  hm

Q92-3.thumb.jpg.c5ef3b596c98702b18342713ca9bd643.jpgQ94-1.thumb.jpg.d6ebf2cdf83462f4653e69028fb66370.jpgQ96-1.thumb.jpg.212a54dd79fa8dfc21688243193fe558.jpgU40-5.thumb.jpg.08f049b5662bba47de62809b3a1bcf61.jpgU40-10.thumb.jpg.368cfa975658b133dad25209d9b70959.jpgU40-11.thumb.jpg.8ab881d28f6ba7326775073ffe382f67.jpg

Edited by zzutak

zzutac, so you're saying that CGC make mistakes MORE often? Two of my books from the same publisher are graded Universal. Only one is a Qualified grade. A detached cover is a different story than a signature on the inside cover. I've seen COUNTLESS universal grades for sale that have signatures on the inside cover. 

On 1/28/2024 at 10:41 AM, NickiO CS said:

Hello @MarkFaust

Thank you for reaching out to us. I would be happy to review the labeling of your books. Can you please provide the certification number for these three books? 

I look forward to your reply. If you have any other questions, please let us know. 

I'm curious If these books have been reviewed? I'm wanting to send the Qualified back for a Universal label.

On 1/30/2024 at 12:23 AM, MarkFaust said:

I've seen COUNTLESS universal grades for sale that have signatures on the inside cover. 

It's not the signature that makes this book eligible for certification with a Qualified Grade.  It's the paper/sticker affixed to the inside front cover.  :foryou:

SA122-92Q.thumb.jpg.b334acc3756a127d4be11d55824d81a8.jpg

On 2/1/2024 at 2:55 AM, zzutak said:

It's not the signature that makes this book eligible for certification with a Qualified Grade.  It's the paper/sticker affixed to the inside front cover.  :foryou:

SA122-92Q.thumb.jpg.b334acc3756a127d4be11d55824d81a8.jpg

So the other two I have graded in Universal and the other multiple grades that i've seen graded in Universal that sold are ALL mistakes? Your 1960 book had an owner attach a sticker to the interior cover and write their address on it. The Faust Premiere book had the the sticker attached during printing and later signed and numbered on it by the publishers/artists/writers. Completely different.

• Administrator
On 2/6/2024 at 4:40 AM, MarkFaust said:

So the other two I have graded in Universal and the other multiple grades that i've seen graded in Universal that sold are ALL mistakes? Your 1960 book had an owner attach a sticker to the interior cover and write their address on it. The Faust Premiere book had the the sticker attached during printing and later signed and numbered on it by the publishers/artists/writers. Completely different.

Hey @MarkFaust,

I just sent you a Direct Message regarding this. Please let me know if you have any other questions regarding returning all three books for review. Thanks!