• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A 9.8? Seriously?
4 4

15 posts in this topic

I’m just curious. I bought this CGC 9.8 white pages Daredevil #160 off of e-Bay the other day and I’m really wondering how it could have possibly received the grade of 9.8. Numerous spine ticks, pretty good wear on the upper left hand corner, and pretty severe wear around the staples. The book has definitely been around the block a few times. My question is, how does a newly printed comic with absolutely no noticeable flaws receive a grade of 9.8 while this comic with more flaws than I care to mention can also receive a grade of 9.8? Isn’t 9.8 more or less a mint comic? This Daredevil #160 is not mint. I have comics that have graded around 9.0 and 9.2 that look far more nicer than this 9.8. Are the graders at CGC receiving proper training prior to letting them grade comics?IMG_5311.thumb.jpeg.ade942b6bbf773336435df828d7fb43b.jpeg

On 1/28/2024 at 7:53 PM, dbcn said:

Seems like an odd candidate, but maybe swapped?

It does but there are a LOT of 9.8 hunters for that Miller run. Plus if someone had a 9.8 and swapped in a raw, 9.0 range book, they are making a pretty easy $250-300 for this one. All because they swapped in a copy they probably paid under $20 for. That's the problem with CGC now....one guy was caught doing big boy books but how can we not think someone was not also doing this on a smaller scale.

Could have had the old 9.8 reholdered to state "Newstand edition" and due to CGCs practices, no one was the wiser

Edited by comicginger1789

On 1/28/2024 at 4:32 PM, Joel0109 said:

I’m just curious. I bought this CGC 9.8 white pages Daredevil #160 off of e-Bay the other day and I’m really wondering how it could have possibly received the grade of 9.8. Numerous spine ticks, pretty good wear on the upper left hand corner, and pretty severe wear around the staples. The book has definitely been around the block a few times. My question is, how does a newly printed comic with absolutely no noticeable flaws receive a grade of 9.8 while this comic with more flaws than I care to mention can also receive a grade of 9.8? Isn’t 9.8 more or less a mint comic? This Daredevil #160 is not mint. I have comics that have graded around 9.0 and 9.2 that look far more nicer than this 9.8. Are the graders at CGC receiving proper training prior to letting them grade comics?IMG_5311.thumb.jpeg.ade942b6bbf773336435df828d7fb43b.jpeg

For recently graded comics, including this one, CGC now has hi-res images on their cert page.  I checked this one and I agree the 9.8 is questionable except for the spine corner wear, which is usually attributed to production bindery issues and not counted against 9.8s and below.

I am going to return the comic to the eBay seller who sold it to me. I explained to them that it is not their fault and if they are the ones who had it graded, they should contact CGC and have them explain how a comic book with so many flaws could possibly receive a grade of 9.8. It's absolutely unacceptable on the part of CGC. If someone like me can spot all of these flaws, then how can a "trained" grader working for CGC give this book a grade of 9.8. I have pretty much lost all confidence in CGC. If they can give a comic with so many flaws a more or less perfect grade of 9.8, then I have to wonder what other weird stuff is going on over there. I have books graded at 9.0 and 9.2 that look far superior in condition than this 9.8.

On 1/28/2024 at 6:53 PM, dbcn said:

Seems like an odd candidate, but maybe swapped?

On 1/28/2024 at 7:17 PM, comicginger1789 said:

It does but there are a LOT of 9.8 hunters for that Miller run. Plus if someone had a 9.8 and swapped in a raw, 9.0 range book, they are making a pretty easy $250-300 for this one. All because they swapped in a copy they probably paid under $20 for. That's the problem with CGC now....one guy was caught doing big boy books but how can we not think someone was not also doing this on a smaller scale.

Could have had the old 9.8 reholdered to state "Newstand edition" and due to CGCs practices, no one was the wiser

This could just be a case of lax grading ..

or..

I ran out of searches trying to look at the submissions in the original lot graded with this book, but my guess would be that they had more than 1 getting graded and CGC accidentally placed the wrong books in with the wrong labels. (Which wouldn't be the first time this has happened) 

Now in either of these circumstances the honest seller / collector would not have attempted to sell it as a 9.8.

On 1/29/2024 at 9:40 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

This could just be a case of lax grading ..

or..

I ran out of searches trying to look at the submissions in the original lot graded with this book, but my guess would be that they had more than 1 getting graded and CGC accidentally placed the wrong books in with the wrong labels. (Which wouldn't be the first time this has happened) 

Now in either of these circumstances the honest seller / collector would not have attempted to sell it as a 9.8.

CGC exists for people who can't correctly grade.  What is the owner of that slab supposed to say?  '" I'm selling a book in a 9.8 slab, but it really isn't? That's why third-party grading was invented.  Of course, that relies on the public's confidence in the company's product.

On 1/30/2024 at 9:20 AM, shadroch said:

CGC exists for people who can't correctly grade.  What is the owner of that slab supposed to say?  '" I'm selling a book in a 9.8 slab, but it really isn't? That's why third-party grading was invented.  Of course, that relies on the public's confidence in the company's product.

In an ideal world yes, but one look at the QC thread suggests otherwise.  Even looking at my "Off to see the wizard " journal that has some of my submissions would show they make mistakes including swapped labels. Another reason why so many say buy the book not the label.

Too many just take that number in the corner as fact. 

And yes. I had a couple of books that were incorrectly labeled that I sold for a discount as were not the grade CGC had on them. 

I still wish I had bought this one a few years ago , but if we just believe exactly what CGC says then they would have had to go back and remove this one from the census when they realized their mistake. It was listed as an original SS in the census for a while. ( no longer there, but moved to its correct edition. ) 

I hope whoever has it has kept it as is. I know I would want it just like this. 20210127_113357.jpg.cab43935085cd84a2edd13dba74da674.jpg20210127_113409.jpg.b6e9676bd54c3a5aba5d190830a2e957.jpg

I will say, as a seller on eBay—returning a book because you don’t agree with CGC’s grading is super annoying. Like, no part of that is on the seller. If the case had undisclosed damage, sure, but the grade itself is not on the seller. Maybe I get it if the pictures are bad, but honestly it’s kind of on the buyer to request more photos if they want to nitpick the grade. I’m more than happy to tell people a certain 9.8 I’m selling has a spine tick or bindery tear that’s hard to see in photos/scans—they won’t buy it and be disappointed and I won’t run the risk of having it go through transit twice and be unlisted for weeks.

Not coming at you—I am fully a proponent of making sure the book you buy is what you want—just perhaps a word of advice for future purchases. There’s a good chance that seller will block you from future purchases, as well, so another reason to make sure you know what you are getting before you purchase.

Edited by Nsschenks
Grammar

On 1/30/2024 at 5:58 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

In an ideal world yes, but one look at the QC thread suggests otherwise.  Even looking at my "Off to see the wizard " journal that has some of my submissions would show they make mistakes including swapped labels. Another reason why so many say buy the book not the label.

Too many just take that number in the corner as fact. 

And yes. I had a couple of books that were incorrectly labeled that I sold for a discount as were not the grade CGC had on them. 

I still wish I had bought this one a few years ago , but if we just believe exactly what CGC says then they would have had to go back and remove this one from the census when they realized their mistake. It was listed as an original SS in the census for a while. ( no longer there, but moved to its correct edition. ) 

I hope whoever has it has kept it as is. I know I would want it just like this. 20210127_113357.jpg.cab43935085cd84a2edd13dba74da674.jpg20210127_113409.jpg.b6e9676bd54c3a5aba5d190830a2e957.jpg

That sort of error on such a historical book is MINDBLOWING! 

Edited by newshane

On 1/31/2024 at 6:21 PM, newshane said:

That sort of error on such a historical book is MINDBLOWING! 

You would think. Especially since a true 1939 has SO many differences from the masterpiece edition (reprint) that is this book.

Size, Grade, and Value should have been VERY obvious to any of the QC staff / Graders to catch this label WAY before it left the building.