• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with a Stamp ID
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Looks to be a stamp marking associated with the original retailer or second hand store. Or it could be a stamp by a previous owner. I have never seen that particular stamp before indicating anything short marking it as sold or owned. 

Edited by Primetime

On 4/21/2024 at 2:54 AM, Corvonie said:

Hi @vaillant @Primetime @esquirecomics

I asked a friend of mine here about this stamp and they said you all might know.

Thanks so much for any info!

I am a bit familiar with the Italian stamps alone, mostly date ones, and this one does not seem to be an Italian stamp.
Primetime explanation seems the best one to me.

That looks a lot like a reasonably common heraldic motif of a cross with crossed swords behind. A bit of Googling shows versions with Maltese crosses, Celtic crosses  and even the Bulgarian Air Force circa 1940 used a similar image (below)! So I'd say that's almost certainly been put there by a previous owner who happened to own the stamp, possibly as a 'this one is mine' mark, rather than a store or distributor.

image.png.cc8bdc1470a00467fc98e57472953965.png

ADVENTURE COMICS #127 CGC NM 9.4; White pg!; origin Shining Knight retold! - Picture 1 of 3

Given the high quality of the two books, and their closeness in time (only a seven month gap in cover date - probably less for hitting the stands), my assumption is that the stamp was put there by the OO.  Be interesting to see if other copies emerge. 

Edited by sfcityduck

Posted (edited)
On 4/25/2024 at 9:18 PM, sfcityduck said:

ADVENTURE COMICS #127 CGC NM 9.4; White pg!; origin Shining Knight retold! - Picture 1 of 3

Given the high quality of the two books, and their closeness in time (only a seven month gap in cover date - probably less for hitting the stands), my assumption is that the stamp was put there by the OO.  Be interesting to see if other copies emerge. 

This is SO interesting, thanks! And now I am fascinated by one question, if this is a  stamp placed by the OO: why is the placement of the stamp on mine so obviously deliberate and the placement of the stamp here so haphazard?

EDIT - dead center top front cover is actually haphazard, so never mind!

Edited by Corvonie