• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Files Lawsuit Against Employees
30 30

672 posts in this topic

On 2/3/2024 at 3:43 PM, batman_fan said:

Yeah I would think when the 1st book went missing you would be concerned about its where abouts

Did these books actually go missing, or were lesser copies substituted? 

I could see a scenario where the employee sees a key comic receiving a high grade, like a 9.8. He has a 9.2 copy at home, raw or slabbed, purchased ahead, waiting for the 9.8 match. Smuggles his in, makes the swap before encapsulation, smuggles the 9.8 out.

If this could be done, there is no red flag along the way, no triggering of suspicion, no accounting deficiency, no lost book. Only a camera, another employee, a security person, or a manager could catch it.

If the submitter claims the book he got back is not the one he submitted, CGC could say it must have been damaged on the way in, not their responsibility. 

On 2/1/2024 at 7:11 PM, Christophe9999 said:

That's surprising to me. There's a significant color breaking tic and not sure what you call that long line. Plus the wear on the upper right top corner I feel like these combined and still getting a 9.6 questionable.

color break.jpg

color break2.jpg

Thanks for providing the large scan---that's very helpful. That top corner does look a little rough, and that color loss near the spine is concerning...   hm 

On 2/3/2024 at 4:09 PM, Lightning55 said:

Did these books actually go missing, or were lesser copies substituted? 

I could see a scenario where the employee sees a key comic receiving a high grade, like a 9.8. He has a 9.2 copy at home, raw or slabbed, purchased ahead, waiting for the 9.8 match. Smuggles his in, makes the swap before encapsulation, smuggles the 9.8 out.

If this could be done, there is no red flag along the way, no triggering of suspicion, no accounting deficiency, no lost book. Only a camera, another employee, a security person, or a manager could catch it.

If the submitter claims the book he got back is not the one he submitted, CGC could say it must have been damaged on the way in, not their responsibility. 

The court filing says he stole 23 submitted comics... 

GFQlKEcWQAAk6-6.png

Edited by EastEnd1

On 2/3/2024 at 2:25 PM, jimjum12 said:

Quite often, when a smaller company is absorbed by a larger one, or a division that was largely "self directed" comes under the Corporate umbrella, what one will often see are cute corporate buzz words like "cross training", "multi tasking", "uncluttering the value stream". In regular english, that means you will be doing twice the work with twice the re-training with less breaks and a saturation of management watching you work. The cross-training, means that the guy who is a whiz at QA tasks will be doing brain surgery a few times a month, The gynecologist will be doing the brain surgery, and the scheduler will be mopping the floors. All in the name of increased proficiency. LOTS of growing pains. As for security, this will not be info available to the workforce or public at large. Certainly not in a press release. Anything leaking out that way is often a red herring. Finger pointing and root cause analysis is probably premature at this point, and will unlikely be a result of customer consensus. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Jimbo!!!  Good to see you back!!! (thumbsu(worship)

IMG_0356.gif

On 2/3/2024 at 4:25 PM, jimjum12 said:

Quite often, when a smaller company is absorbed by a larger one, or a division that was largely "self directed" comes under the Corporate umbrella, what one will often see are cute corporate buzz words like "cross training", "multi tasking", "uncluttering the value stream". In regular english, that means you will be doing twice the work with twice the re-training with less breaks and a saturation of management watching you work. The cross-training, means that the guy who is a whiz at QA tasks will be doing brain surgery a few times a month, The gynecologist will be doing the brain surgery, and the scheduler will be mopping the floors. All in the name of increased proficiency. LOTS of growing pains. As for security, this will not be info available to the workforce or public at large. Certainly not in a press release. Anything leaking out that way is often a red herring. Finger pointing and root cause analysis is probably premature at this point, and will unlikely be a result of customer consensus. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Nice to see you back, Jimbo! 

johnny (a friend of jimbo)  :bigsmile:

I'm going to salute CGC for prosecuting these two scumbags.  They could have kept it out of the public eye and never brought forth any charges.  Most companies would have never let this out.  That's the first step which I commend them.  But the next and biggest step is reevaluating and addressing all of the weaknesses in their security model and methods.  Whatever security system they are implementing at their facility is not working.  

How do we know there are not more graders and receivers doing the same fraudulent activities but haven't been caught yet. 

They need to communicate to the public in a clear message what steps they are taking to solve these security shortcomings to avoid future scams :makepoint:         

On 2/3/2024 at 5:21 PM, mosconi said:

I'm going to salute CGC for prosecuting these two scumbags.  They could have kept it out of the public eye and never brought forth any charges.  Most companies would have never let this out.   

Why do you think CGC is doing this then?

On 2/3/2024 at 2:24 PM, Gaard said:

That's a good question.  Why would they want to let out this further embarrassment and have a whole new thread on their ineffective/incompetent security system?  There may be more details to come forth (shrug)

On 2/3/2024 at 5:21 PM, mosconi said:

I'm going to salute CGC for prosecuting these two scumbags.  They could have kept it out of the public eye and never brought forth any charges.  Most companies would have never let this out.  That's the first step which I commend them.  But the next and biggest step is reevaluating and addressing all of the weaknesses in their security model and methods.  Whatever security system they are implementing at their facility is not working.  

How do we know there are not more graders and receivers doing the same fraudulent activities but haven't been caught yet. 

They need to communicate to the public in a clear message what steps they are taking to solve these security shortcomings to avoid future scams :makepoint:         

I'm sure they'll be taking additional security measures to prevent something like this from happening again...  

On 2/3/2024 at 3:21 PM, mosconi said:

I'm going to salute CGC for prosecuting these two scumbags.  They could have kept it out of the public eye and never brought forth any charges.  Most companies would have never let this out. 

On 2/3/2024 at 3:24 PM, Gaard said:

Aside from "making the bad guy pay for his crimes":

They could be establishing a public track record of examples to show higher ups that there are losses at work that are affecting the bottom line, in order to cover up some internal problems that are really causing issues.

It's pure speculation, but they wouldn't be the first company to showcase illegal activity that affects their profits in order to masquerade bigger internal issues like poor hiring practices during explosive expansion and not being able to keep up with employee standards. That's no excuse, mind you - if you can scale your company properly, you shouldn't be scaling.

I don't know when these dirtbag graders were hired, that would shed some light on why they might not have been vetted properly. CGC isn't the first company to hire bodies simply to keep the machine going, regardless of skills or abilities.

On 2/3/2024 at 11:36 AM, COI said:

I'm not sure how a business predicated on enriching its clients by facilitating the unregulated, high value trade of commodified non-essential goods through a mostly arbitrary and subjective process, has so thoroughly lost its way?

Sounds like someone’s moral compass wasn’t wound tight enough. :smirk: