• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk 181 worth pressing?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

encapsulated comics are harder to grade & see the posting guidelines linked at the top of the forum page. I'd probably put this in Grading & Restoration as a usual practice. I looked up the grader notes in the CGC database. It denotes multiple stains. Pressing won't fix this. Based on how CGC treats stains, a 7.0 is a very lucky outcome.

light spine stress lines
very small, multiple stain back cover
very small, multiple stain full bottom of front cover
very small, multiple stain spine

If you are willing to pay the fees to get it re-graded, I say go with a presser who can help retain your yellow label and address the staining; however dry cleaning may not get that all out. Even if the grade doesn’t get bumped, clean/press may improve the appearance of the book. With that Stan Lee autograph, I’d want the book looking as best as possible.

Thanks for the responses. I'm actually more interested in getting it cleaned for appearance purposes. I'm not necessarily worried about getting a better grade, but I'm a little afraid of getting a lesser grade. Does an outside presser do more for cleaning than CGC? I plan on getting it reholdered to try to get rid of newton rings so if I'm going to do it, now is the time. I was going to try to sell and trade into an 8 or 8.5, but now I'm thinking about keeping so I want it to look it's best. 

Unless CGC take it out of the existing holder it will lose its signature series status/designation. Then when resubmitted the label will just say 'name written on cover' which would be a real shame!

Edit: Jose2099 probably has better info than me so if they can say how an outside presser can clean it and still retain your sig series label, that would be useful. 

Edited by LowGradeBronze

On 2/3/2024 at 10:34 PM, swp704 said:

Thanks for the responses. I'm actually more interested in getting it cleaned for appearance purposes. I'm not necessarily worried about getting a better grade, but I'm a little afraid of getting a lesser grade. Does an outside presser do more for cleaning than CGC? I plan on getting it reholdered to try to get rid of newton rings so if I'm going to do it, now is the time. I was going to try to sell and trade into an 8 or 8.5, but now I'm thinking about keeping so I want it to look it's best. 

No. It's fine. Just leave it alone. 

If you want a better copy, then buy one. 

2c

On 2/5/2024 at 12:47 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

it will lose its signature series status/designation

This will happen. As far as I know, CGC has not created permission for anyone other than them to open/press signature books & retain a yellow label *unless* it's at a convention for another witnessed signature (i.e. it has to be witnessed to retain). There are not that many people left who would be good candidates to sign this book. 

On 2/2/2024 at 3:18 PM, swp704 said:

Hi, I'm new to this so I hope I posted this in the right place. Please help me determine if this would be worth clean and pressing. Thanks in advance.

20240131_153427.jpg

20240131_153436.jpg

20240131_152414.jpg

Looks like he signed that one while he was dying.