• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lost Books?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Have any of you guys ever had CGC lose your books?  I sent in a comic (Avengers #1, 2015) for a recent Chris Hemsworth signing.  The book was previously signed by Samuel L Jackson and graded at 9.8.  I sent the slabbed book in with a declared value of $400, as this was the value of the book in its current condition.  A few months after the signing, CGC eventually emailed me and said they lost my book and offered me a $400 store credit.  I told them the book had since been signed for this send-in service and was now worth closer to $750 due to the cost of the current signing which it now received.  CGC said they didn’t care about what I spent on the signing and would only reimburse me for the previous value of the book.  When I asked for a manager and inquired about another book I fear they also lost, they stopped responding.  Have any of you guys had CGC lose your items?  Also, when you send in your books for a signing, do you typically declare the actual value of the book in its current state or declare the future value the book will hold after the signing is completed?  I feel like the “guarantee” portion of Certified Guarantee Company is missing here and my premium membership isn’t feeling very premium right now.  

IMG_9133.thumb.jpeg.29daafb97eb26177913da799eefc0d47.jpeg

I should note, all my previous experiences with CGC have been pretty good with dozens of submissions completed without issue.  I feel pretty let down with this last one though and don’t feel like I’m being treated fairly.  

On 2/2/2024 at 2:40 PM, Eric Johansen said:

Have any of you guys ever had CGC lose your books?  I sent in a comic (Avengers #1, 2015) for a recent Chris Hemsworth signing.  The book was previously signed by Samuel L Jackson and graded at 9.8.  I sent the slabbed book in with a declared value of $400, as this was the value of the book in its current condition.  A few months after the signing, CGC eventually emailed me and said they lost my book and offered me a $400 store credit.  I told them the book had since been signed for this send-in service and was now worth closer to $750 due to the cost of the current signing which it now received.  CGC said they didn’t care about what I spent on the signing and would only reimburse me for the previous value of the book.  When I asked for a manager and inquired about another book I fear they also lost, they stopped responding.  Have any of you guys had CGC lose your items?  Also, when you send in your books for a signing, do you typically declare the actual value of the book in its current state or declare the future value the book will hold after the signing is completed?  I feel like the “guarantee” portion of Certified Guarantee Company is missing here and my premium membership isn’t feeling very premium right now. 

Yes, CGC has lost an alarming number of books over the last couple of years. It is becoming an epidemic.

Since you only valued the book at $400 that is all they are likely to give you, I do assume this is adjustable but you'd probably have to sign an NDA. Unfortunately you do not have much recourse but make sure you get all of your money back and not store credit unless you trust them enough to keep sending books.

• $400 - Declared value of book
  • $355 - Cost of Hemsworth signing
  • $25 - Shipping/Handling from submission form

This should total $780 and this does not make you whole, it just nulls the transaction and leaves you without actual compensation. Store credit is free CGC money so should not have 1:1 value since you are just giving them more business and chances to lose more of your property.

I recently received a book back that wasn't what I sent in.

I am actually about to do the Mechanical Error they requested to send it back.
I am hoping they find my book.  And I am hoping whoever's book I received is able to get theirs back.

On 2/2/2024 at 10:40 PM, Eric Johansen said:

This is a really unfortunate situation you are facing with CGC. Losing an expensive and valuable book can cause serious anxiety and dissatisfaction. Your frustration in this situation is understandable. I’m just writing about lost valuable things, I found cause and effect essays, I use https://studymoose.com/essay-types/cause-and-effect-essays for this. I'll add this to my work anyway. Good real example. I hope your problem will be resolved with minimal losses.

You might want to reach out to other collectors or communities to see if anyone has had similar problems with CGC and how they were resolved.

Edited by estrellmamone2

On 2/2/2024 at 3:40 PM, Eric Johansen said:

Considering the fact that a grader/employee has a pending lawsuit brought forth by cgc for stealing books, subbing them under his own account and then listing on ebay I think its safe to safe your books are not as safe as you think. Like others have said at a certain point consider it lost and take it up with them for compensation. It has not happened to me but certainly appears to happen enough to be a concern.