• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Closed (received great advice)
2 2

20 posts in this topic

I just received a comic back from grading and they missed the biggest flaw in the book.  There was a little scribble in ink (I didn’t see it when I bought it, but when it arrived it was clear it was there.  The book got an 8.5 and the writing was not mentioned in the grader notes.  I really am not sure what I should do…I don’t want to sell it because it would look fraudulent.  The book I received is definitely the book I sent in.  Please advise.

Edited by Tubthumper82
Closed

A high-res scan would be useful to those whose advice you seek.  Grader notes seldom list all blemishes/flaws.  And I've been around here long enough to have seen several of the newer posters describe an arrival date as a "scribble in ink" (which it definitely is not).  :foryou:

On 2/5/2024 at 12:25 PM, zzutak said:

A high-res scan would be useful to those whose advice you seek.  Grader notes seldom list all blemishes/flaws.  And I've been around here long enough to have seen several of the newer posters describe an arrival date as a "scribble in ink" (which it definitely is not).  :foryou:

I have added an image of the writing and a graders note

That writing in and of itself wouldn't prevent an 8.5 grade, I don't think.  I don't think you have to worry about being accused of fraud if you sell it either, given it's right there on the front cover.  Presumably, any buyer will see it.  You can always point it out to them as well if you're really concerned.  

Maybe they did take it into consideration, you'll never know.  Could have been they thought it was a 9.0 and dropped it a step.  Or a vendor "code", and didn't knock it.

What you have is much better than getting a 9.8 on a book with an obviously bent corner, missing corner, or other defect that shouldn't be on a 9.8. I've had that happen.

Makes it hard to sell as a 9.8, hard to sell as anything else, because the grade is definitely wrong.

It can even be a 9.9 with an inked arrival date:

9.9 MINT (MT):  Back to Top
Near perfect in every way. Only subtle bindery or printing defects are allowed. Cover is flat with no surface wear. Inks are bright with high reflectivity and minimal fading. Corners are cut square and sharp. Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location. Spine is tight and flat. Staples must be original, generally centered and clean with no rust. Paper is white, supple and fresh.

On 2/5/2024 at 4:18 PM, Axe Elf said:

Near perfect in every way. Only subtle bindery or printing defects are allowed. Cover is flat with no surface wear. Inks are bright with high reflectivity and minimal fading. Corners are cut square and sharp. Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location. Spine is tight and flat. Staples must be original, generally centered and clean with no rust. Paper is white, supple and fresh.

What source is this definition from, please? Just comparing notes. Do you have a page link for the complete grade list?

On 2/5/2024 at 4:52 PM, Lightning55 said:

What source is this definition from, please? Just comparing notes. Do you have a page link for the complete grade list?

Never mind. I see that it is there already. It didn't show as an underlined link in my email.

I appreciate your pursuit of ethical standards, but it seems you're not at fault here. Even with grading notes, you may not have all the details and the oversight, if there is one, is not yours. Given CGC is the authoritative body on grading, their evaluation sets the benchmark. There's no need for worry on your part. Anyone purchasing the book will receive it as a CGC-certified grade at 8.5, which is definitive.Thanks for posting!

Edited by Kal-El
a word.

@Tubthumper82

I applaud your moral fiber!   Most on this forum had they received what they believe to be a gift grade would using a dollar sign emoji.

In your case seems like the book received a proper grade

Edited by MAR1979

On 2/5/2024 at 4:18 PM, Axe Elf said:

I see this is from Heritage. Looks similar to Overstreet, excellent detail.

Here is what 9.9 looks like to CGC: 

CGC Grading Scales

CGC uses a highly accurate, industry standard 10-point grading scale to evaluate collectibles.

Mint. 9.9

The collectible is nearly indistinguishable from a 10.0 but will have a very minor manufacturing defect. It will not have any evidence of handling defects.

What a joke. "Highly accurate":roflmao:

On 2/5/2024 at 3:41 PM, Tubthumper82 said:

Thanks.  I was surprised with the grade and thought that writing would drop it a lot lower.

CGC has basically chosen to all but ignore writing on the cover so they can justify giving high grades to pedigrees books that have writing on them. Money talks.

The name Jean is written in the word balloon; that can be written off as "pedigree markings" because several books from the pedigree have that name on them. This book also has diagonal lines drawn through the 10¢ price. No other book in the pedigree has those, so there is no way that those should have been deemed pedigree markings.

(The stress line at the lower staple also should have kept it below 9.8 even without the writing, but, like I said, money talks in this hobby.)

MaryMarvel9.8.jpg

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 2/6/2024 at 1:39 PM, Tubthumper82 said:

It looks like Mar was written for March.

I don't think so.  This issue has a Feb cover/publication date, and handwritten (or stamped) arrival dates typically predated the cover date by two months.  Now, if you can convince me that the inked lettering includes a distributor code and a December date such as "12/29" ......

SA46-85-RC.thumb.jpg.820b0c6000a576d9619b2b5241544b6c.jpg SA48-65.thumb.jpg.f7ec174a4d3ef5f175e83f41f4d4076f.jpg