• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jose Delbo (1933-2024)

12 posts in this topic

One of my favorite interior pages from my teens was the last page to the last issue of World's Finest. The melancholy Superman visual perfectly mirroring the sadness of the powerful dialog was masterfully rendered by Delco/Alcalca. Rest In Peace Jose

WF323p29CAF.thumb.jpg.15d411c295961580068354b4d5f910dd.jpg

Edited by All-Star Squadman

On 2/5/2024 at 1:23 PM, All-Star Squadman said:

Glad to see he made 7 figures by jumping in very very early into the NFT bubble! 

As for me I prefer physical Original Comic art.  My first WW Comic as little child was drawn by Delbo/Giordano, I was blessed to have acquired the Cover a long while back.
ww259aCAF.thumb.jpg.ea872e9e1f4e4b69d89ee13e275225b8.jpg

RIP to another artist from my collecting past. By the way, is it common knowledge regarding Delbo's NFT success? I was approached by the same promoter to market my work just like Jose, but being an old guy, I didn't understand any of it or why digital art could have any value, perceived or otherwise. I never responded to the multiple offers! LOL Glad Jose got to enjoy some monetary success before passing on.

On 2/5/2024 at 5:21 PM, stinkininkin said:

RIP to another artist from my collecting past. By the way, is it common knowledge regarding Delbo's NFT success? I was approached by the same promoter to market my work just like Jose, but being an old guy, I didn't understand any of it or why digital art could have any value, perceived or otherwise. I never responded to the multiple offers! LOL Glad Jose got to enjoy some monetary success before passing on.

As was mentioned it was a bubble, thus near exact timing (only gleaned from hindsight) was critical.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/story/2021-04-14/nfts-intellectual-property-marvel-dc-comics-who-gets-to-make-millions

Edit: As it turned out he did not get the millions as Time-Warner said wait no so fast... :( 

Edited by MAR1979

Saddened, but not surprised to see the overall lack of responses on this thread. So many who post here who have and will continue to make money off of Delbo's art can't even be bothered with a simple RIP message.

Jose's art brings back many great memories for me of picking up later 70's WW comics in discount bins in the late 80's.  May He Rest in Peace.

Edited by MAR1979

He drew the first WW comic I ever bought. I will always remember the cover of a blonde imposter WW kicking Diana Prince out a window but it really was the opening splash of us behind faux WW confronting someone in a nice full page rear shot that made an impression on a young me :shiftyeyes: 

I always wanted to get a nice mint copy of that for him to sign and/or get a commission playing homage to that page but alas I always thought there'd be another time and never got around to it. I just got back from Megacon and honestly I don't know like 2/3 of the people in artist alley anymore, I'm mostly a 70s/80s kid. Sucks losing so many legends from that time period over the past several years. RIP Mr. Delbo. 

I met Mr Delbo at the Denver Comic Con (2015 or 16), and I got him to recreate an image from one of the Transformers comics he drew.   I loved this image when I was a kid and the Marvel Transformers comics were a big part of me getting into comics, so it was great to meet him and get him to draw this for me.  Rest in Power Mr Delbo.

EAzJDFsM_1906161641141gp.jpg

kSFxXAe7_1906161643351gp.jpg