• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Someone who was Psycho with grade and suscessfully neat himself?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Im at the moment processing my entire collection essentially for store my books correctly but i also at the same occasion check the condition of each books and i realize that im much more concerned by the grade than i tought...

I have already replaced in the past  copies of several dollar bin books just to improve the condition of them and i feel a bit guilty to do it...

I try to moderate myself and only focus on the defect who really bother me but it still difficult, i see a low progression, try to forget everything which is not killing the cover art...

Is there someone here who already had the same kind of bad trends and have succesfully neat himself? :screwy:

Edited by BA773

On 2/6/2024 at 6:35 PM, seanlinc said:

when I find a flaw with a book I cannot unsee it

Luckily this doesn't happen often but sometimes I just cannot get past it; I had a Raphael #1 with a nasty color breaking spin bend at the staple. Unfortunately I bought the grade and not the book so was not exactly happy when I had it in hand. I held on to it as a lesson for almost 4 years and when I finally sold it, I actually hated even looking at any Raph #1.

It can be exact opposite as well; Most of my single digit Millie the Model books are in the 6.0 range and I see the flaws on them as charm since the book was enjoyed by someone...

Comic collecting is just weird man.

On 2/7/2024 at 8:29 AM, DougC said:

Luckily this doesn't happen often but sometimes I just cannot get past it; I had a Raphael #1 with a nasty color breaking spin bend at the staple. Unfortunately I bought the grade and not the book so was not exactly happy when I had it in hand. I held on to it as a lesson for almost 4 years and when I finally sold it, I actually hated even looking at any Raph #1.

It can be exact opposite as well; Most of my single digit Millie the Model books are in the 6.0 range and I see the flaws on them as charm since the book was enjoyed by someone...

Comic collecting is just weird man.

Im exactly like you, my problem is not that im obsseded to get the perfect book, my problem is on specific defect who make me feel crazy, i have tons of books with fold and leaked ink who are probably not more than 6.0 and i like them but in contrary i have some books who are probably 8.5/9 but who have a few deffect who literally put the fire in my eyes... the perception of things by your brain is sometime so weird...

I think we all consider some defects as tolerable and others beyond the pale. I hate rusted staples and foxing, but can live with some edge tears and creasing, for example. My advice would be to decide what your deal breakers are and avoid them, even if the book is otherwise really desirable.

I know what you're saying, I once sold a CGC 9.6 that I thought deserved a CGC 9.2 because it felt "wrong" to let it sit in my collection as a CGC 9.6. :sorry:

For the "big books" in my collection, I like CGC 6.5.

Think about when you were in school (especially in the U.S.A.)... if you got a 65% on a test, you made a "D" and you were "nearly failing".  Keep that "nearly failing" feeling in your head and then look at a book that's CGC 6.5. It's beautiful! Sure, it's not perfect, but there's no way it's "nearly failing". It feels like making a "B" on a test when you didn't study at all, and the price is always a deal compared to 8.5 (an actual "B").

CGC 6.5 is also "better than 6.0" in some way that the graders awarded that extra .5 even though 6.0 is the "midgrade milestone" grade, exactly Fine 6.0, so there's some "bonus" on the book to get it to 6.5.

Buy a "nearly failing" 6.5 grade, get a "feels more like success" book, and it's a win-win every time.

1274544001_3001.jpg.ac7cf69af605c3aba0a0c12dc133e4bc.jpg