• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rob Liefeld is retiring
4 4

89 posts in this topic

On 2/13/2024 at 6:02 AM, Coverless 9.8 said:

As unpopular as it might be to defend the pinata, Ditko is credited, along with Liefeld and McFarlane on New Mutants #86!  

f19f27131914207fa551fa80670ed09c8ae834bf.jpg

Absolutely - but I see no such credits on New Mutants 87 or 91.

Avenger 145.webp

I just tried to listen to the newest Robservations podcast (talking about 90's comics and Wizard, etc) and I couldn't get past the first few minutes because it was a non-stop string of him discussing how terribly important he was in creating comics, financing technology with his own money, etc, etc. I don't know if this is how he approaches his podcasts, but I probably won't check anything else out.

Typically, when one achieves significant influence, they don't have to constantly remind people how important they are. They can just dive into the topic at hand. I'm there because I know Liefeld was a big part of the 90's - what I don't need is a five minute primer about all the amazing things he did. It's like sitting next to that guy in the bar who insists on letting everyone know how great he is.

Which, is too bad - because Liefeld is significant. In my opinion, he should be above that - he's accomplished a lot in his career.

On 2/15/2024 at 1:44 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I just tried to listen to the newest Robservations podcast (talking about 90's comics and Wizard, etc) and I couldn't get past the first few minutes because it was a non-stop string of him discussing how terribly important he was in creating comics, financing technology with his own money, etc, etc. I don't know if this is how he approaches his podcasts, but I probably won't check anything else out.

Typically, when one achieves significant influence, they don't have to constantly remind people how important they are. They can just dive into the topic at hand. I'm there because I know Liefeld was a big part of the 90's - what I don't need is a five minute primer about all the amazing things he did. It's like sitting next to that guy in the bar who insists on letting everyone know how great he is.

Which, is too bad - because Liefeld is significant. In my opinion, he should be above that - he's accomplished a lot in his career.

To be fair to the guy, though, so many people want to deny him those credits, I'm not surprised he's a little jerky about it all. I probably would be too in that situation, after all these years of having to fight for recognition for what I had done. 

On 2/14/2024 at 9:07 AM, Cat said:

To be fair to the guy, though, so many people want to deny him those credits, I'm not surprised he's a little jerky about it all. I probably would be too in that situation, after all these years of having to fight for recognition for what I had done. 

I suppose I can see that - which is too bad, he really shouldn't have to do that. After all these years, I guess there's still some people out there that can't give credit where it's due. And, if you follow his FB page, he's clearly a guy who cares about comic art and very knowledgeable about the industry.

On 2/10/2024 at 11:56 PM, Cat said:

I do wish he still owned Youngblood. That last series was so good. And no, he had no involvement in it besides B covers. 

Somewhere around here I've got a copy of Youngblood #1 with all the word balloons whited out. At the time it came out, I was active on Compuserve's Comics and Animation Forum, and someone opined that most of us could write a better version of that book. I thought that was a fine idea, and thought I'd give it a try. Pretty sure I lost interest in the idea before I got past erasing his words.

On 2/14/2024 at 9:01 PM, ttfitz said:

Somewhere around here I've got a copy of Youngblood #1 with all the word balloons whited out. At the time it came out, I was active on Compuserve's Comics and Animation Forum, and someone opined that most of us could write a better version of that book. I thought that was a fine idea, and thought I'd give it a try. Pretty sure I lost interest in the idea before I got past erasing his words.

You should have erased the artwork as well.

On 2/8/2024 at 2:55 PM, lostboys said:

Rob certainly isn't Todd or Jim Lee but I honestly can't understand how anyone can hate his artwork.

I have him ranked somewhere around 5th or 6th among the original Image artists.

He is better than Todd and Lee. Where is Lee now? and Todd is to busy making toys lol come on now...

On 2/8/2024 at 1:04 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

He might not have the greatest art but his podcast Robservations is the best about comic books. If we dig deep Todd McFarlane is much bigger mercenary than him with Neil Gaiman. I hope Rob's health problems improve. He did create Deadpool and Cable. I give him some slack. 

Absolutely (thumbsu

Like him or not his views about the newer generations of artists was spot on, and why the torched has not been passed since the 1990's.