• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who is the MAJOR dealer who has never read a comic?
2 2

12 posts in this topic

Years ago on a Google search I read an article about one of the MAJOR comic book dealers in the world who snidely admitted that although he has made a fortune buying & selling comics, he has NEVER opened a comic and read it from cover to cover!

Completely forgot his name, cannot find the old article on Google, and now it's killing me --  can someone help me??

On 2/9/2024 at 8:34 PM, FastEddie52 said:

Years ago on a Google search I read an article about one of the MAJOR comic book dealers in the world who snidely admitted that although he has made a fortune buying & selling comics, he has NEVER opened a comic and read it from cover to cover!

Completely forgot his name, cannot find the old article on Google, and now it's killing me --  can someone help me??

I know that its not the question but... honnestly is it so unbelievable?

In my opinion, no matter the field, you will find people in just for making money.

I'm going to call BS on a dealer who says they've never read a comic book - that sounds more like a PR sound bite stunt than being realistic. I can see where you would transition from reader to collector to dealer and when you finally start making solid money, you may not read much, if at all - as the profession likely swallows up your free time or side-tracks your personal enjoyment of comics.

To not read a single comic and be successful in that business? Not having even a first-hand understanding of the medium itself? Not being able to recognize through experience what is going to be hot right around the corner before it's disseminated in Diamond or other publications? To be chronically behind on orders and re-orders because you don't know how good something is that your customers are buying and anticipating other customers wanting the product? Or how bad something is, and not having a case of backstock?

Understanding what you are selling by looking at it through the customer's viewpoint applies pretty much to anything for sale - if you want to be good at selling it. I would imagine there's lots of people out there that don't involve themselves into knowing their product, and I'm sure they do just fine in their careers - but I don't think that's a pathway to success.

I 100% believe it. I’ve been to so many comicon a and sports cards shows where I’ll see a dealer with a Jordan card or key issue of Spidey and after a few moments of small talk in reference to the item it’s obvious they have zero idea what I’m talking about. I guess it makes it easier to ruthlessly but and sell things you have no interest in.

On 2/17/2024 at 10:23 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I'm going to call BS on a dealer who says they've never read a comic book - that sounds more like a PR sound bite stunt than being realistic.

He's just trying the sound cool to impress the ladies.