• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this on my CGC 9.8 modern book ?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

The left bottom front cover shows what looks like missing color ?  Is this considered a manufacture issue like a bindery tear and is allowed in a 9.8 ?

Thanks for any guidance.

David

IMG20240212221802.jpg.cde741604c8111e1c8074f49b611d789.thumb.jpg.c77728d4141d0855f64aede063564893.jpg

CGC4361820-004_OBV.jpg

Edited by Max Carnage

I'd classify that as color loss which could be related to the manufacturing process due to the type of cover stock used. Books like this will usually fall in the 9.6 range, but if it's a common flaw to the book CGC will often be more lenient with the grade, which may be what happened in this case. It could also be common color loss due to the process of having the book encapsulated. 

Either way, you appear to have won the CGC sweepstakes... 

Unfortunately the combination of cover material in conjunction with the way the comics are distributed results in rubbing of the spine against the box during shipment.  Bry's comics has a good video showing what is allowed in a 9.8 on his YouTube channel.  This spine rub is one of those defects that seem to be almost treated as manufacturing and allowed in 9.8 (I have several SIKTC in 9.8 with slight spine rub).  I guess maybe CGC considers the handling during the current distribution channels to be part of the manufacturing process. (shrug)

On 2/13/2024 at 4:12 AM, The Lions Den said:

It could also be common color loss due to the process of having the book encapsulated.

This.  I'm certain the graders wouldn't cause damage to books, but do the graders also operate the encapsulation equipment?  Too many books are coming back with corner bends or tiny folded corners or squished into frames slightly too tight.

On 2/14/2024 at 2:21 PM, Yorick said:

I'm certain the graders wouldn't cause damage to books

Sadly due to some of my recently graded, brand new, easy 9.8s that came back graded lower, or significantly graded lower, do not share this certainty.

On 2/14/2024 at 2:18 PM, Engr62 said:

Unfortunately the combination of cover material in conjunction with the way the comics are distributed results in rubbing of the spine against the box during shipment.  Bry's comics has a good video showing what is allowed in a 9.8 on his YouTube channel.  This spine rub is one of those defects that seem to be almost treated as manufacturing and allowed in 9.8 (I have several SIKTC in 9.8 with slight spine rub).  I guess maybe CGC considers the handling during the current distribution channels to be part of the manufacturing process. (shrug)

There's a saying I remember that was used by some of the graders to describe certain flaws on certain books: "They all have it!"  :gossip:

On 2/14/2024 at 11:44 AM, dbcn said:

Sadly due to some of my recently graded, brand new, easy 9.8s that came back graded lower, or significantly graded lower, do not share this certainty.

I'm saying that I do not believe it's the graders.  Rather, it's the encapsulation department doing the damage.  If the book got a 9.8, then why is it now looking like a 9.4 with spine ticks and blunted corners in the slab?

Regardless, we don't know the internal processes at CGC.  The end result is what we see, and I concur that books are being damaged.

On 2/14/2024 at 2:21 PM, Yorick said:

This.  I'm certain the graders wouldn't cause damage to books, but do the graders also operate the encapsulation equipment?  Too many books are coming back with corner bends or tiny folded corners or squished into frames slightly too tight.

Think of it this way: If the grading room is the brain, the encapsulation room is the digestive system... :bigsmile:

On 2/14/2024 at 2:54 PM, Yorick said:

I concur that books are being damaged

Totally agree - it may be the encapsulation process that's damaging the books on the way out (which seems to be happening with this example), but my experience has been that the damage is happening before it gets to the graders, or maybe during it's time with the graders.

I can't say for certain where it's happening, but I also don't get the sense that CGC particularly cares either, or at least enough to warrant trying to track the source down.

On 2/13/2024 at 6:12 AM, The Lions Den said:

It could also be common color loss due to the process of having the book encapsulated. 

How, exactly, does this happen? 

Looks more like a manufacturing defect than handling. 

I mean, it seems like the CGC never had this many issues with encapsulation in the past. They have apparently hired a crew of drunken chimpanzees to encapsulate our books - one of the most critical and important steps in the entire grading process. I have totally lost faith in submitting now. Too many horror stories dealing with encapsulation. 

Edited by newshane

On 2/14/2024 at 4:22 PM, newshane said:

How, exactly, does this happen? 

Looks more like a manufacturing defect than handling. 

I mean, it seems like the CGC never had this many issues with encapsulation in the past. They have apparently hired a crew of drunken chimpanzees to encapsulate our books - one of the most critical and important steps in the entire grading process. I have totally lost faith in submitting now. Too many horror stories dealing with encapsulation. 

I'm completely flummoxed!  doh!

On 2/14/2024 at 1:59 PM, The Lions Den said:

Think of it this way: If the grading room is the brain, the encapsulation room is the digestive system... :bigsmile:

That would explain what comes out of there.

On 2/14/2024 at 9:22 PM, newshane said:

They have apparently hired a crew of drunken chimpanzees to encapsulate our books

Sorry I found this too funny not to have some fun with ChatGPT.  Which is your favorite ?

DALL·E 2024-02-15 11.49.19 - Refine the humorous office scene, focusing on chimpanzees in business casual attire engaging in the same playful chaos. This time, ensure that the sla.webp

DALL·E 2024-02-15 11.49.13 - Refine the humorous office scene, focusing on chimpanzees in business casual attire engaging in the same playful chaos. This time, ensure that the sla.webp

DALL·E 2024-02-15 11.46.49 - Reimagine the same humorous and chaotic scene inside an office, ensuring that the chimpanzees, dressed in business casual attire, are now more clearly.webp

DALL·E 2024-02-15 11.46.41 - Reimagine the same humorous and chaotic scene inside an office, ensuring that the chimpanzees, dressed in business casual attire, are now more clearly.webp

DALL·E 2024-02-15 11.44.35 - Imagine a chaotic and humorous scene inside an office where chimpanzees, dressed in casual office attire, are holding beers in their hands and throwin.webp

DALL·E 2024-02-15 11.44.29 - Imagine a chaotic and humorous scene inside an office where chimpanzees, dressed in casual office attire, are holding beers in their hands and throwin.webp

On 2/15/2024 at 5:51 AM, Max Carnage said:

Sorry I found this too funny not to have some fun with ChatGPT.  Which is your favorite ?

DALL·E 2024-02-15 11.49.19 - Refine the humorous office scene, focusing on chimpanzees in business casual attire engaging in the same playful chaos. This time, ensure that the sla.webp

DALL·E 2024-02-15 11.49.13 - Refine the humorous office scene, focusing on chimpanzees in business casual attire engaging in the same playful chaos. This time, ensure that the sla.webp

DALL·E 2024-02-15 11.46.49 - Reimagine the same humorous and chaotic scene inside an office, ensuring that the chimpanzees, dressed in business casual attire, are now more clearly.webp

DALL·E 2024-02-15 11.46.41 - Reimagine the same humorous and chaotic scene inside an office, ensuring that the chimpanzees, dressed in business casual attire, are now more clearly.webp

DALL·E 2024-02-15 11.44.35 - Imagine a chaotic and humorous scene inside an office where chimpanzees, dressed in casual office attire, are holding beers in their hands and throwin.webp

DALL·E 2024-02-15 11.44.29 - Imagine a chaotic and humorous scene inside an office where chimpanzees, dressed in casual office attire, are holding beers in their hands and throwin.webp

1. Those offices look neater than the ones in Sarasota. 

2. Needs less ties. More neckbeards.