• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Auctions Neil Gaiman Sale
2 2

40 posts in this topic

I'm surprised how much I'm geeking out just listening to Neil talk about the pieces. "This is a drawing that hung on my daughters wall for many years."

It's making want to hit the bid button without considering my available funds. It was great to see that SM 75 splash sell. It's just a story SM lovers will always remember and never forget.

I was at Half-Mast over that Greg Capullo Angela commission he had - what a great piece - last I checked it was at $9k, which was beyond my realm, but how cool to own a piece like that that came from Neil Gaiman.

A few observations:

I really enjoyed Neil jumping in during the auction.

The efforts of bidders on the SM 48 page to demoralize each other late in the call were palpable in the moment.

we're going turtle slow late in the auction.

Moebius: great

Miracle Man 16: great result

Jon J Muth piece feels like a bargain.

I definitely think being from Neil's collection adds some premium to these.  Plus they're some of the best examples.  I'd have paid more for many of these than I would have in the open market, had any of them been in my current budget.  

On 3/14/2024 at 1:56 PM, Matches_Malone said:

Does this mean Sandman art will go further out in the stratosphere? Or is this the Gaiman tax on this specific auction?

I was really surprised what the Daniel pieces wound up at, because I thought they would go a bit higher.  The promotional Daniel piece was a steal at 10k - really nice.  The Destruction page and Vess pages were really healthy as well.  

Honestly, I don't think much of the OA had that much of a Gaiman tax, but as mentioned, the slabs and other pieces were a different story.  Regardless, it was nice to see things come out of the woodwork.

We'll see, but I think there's still plenty of room for growth, although I am sure there are plenty out there that would like to see the opposite... (myself included).  🙃🙃🙃😁😁😁

On 3/15/2024 at 2:56 AM, Matches_Malone said:
On 3/15/2024 at 2:48 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

The force is strong with Sandman and Gaiman- adjacent pricing!

Does this mean Sandman art will go further out in the stratosphere? Or is this the Gaiman tax on this specific auction?

I guess we'll find in the upcoming Signature Auction, which once again has a ton of Sandman pages.

On 3/14/2024 at 10:48 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I was at Half-Mast over that Greg Capullo Angela commission he had - what a great piece - last I checked it was at $9k, which was beyond my realm, but how cool to own a piece like that that came from Neil Gaiman.

I love that one too. I was tempted but have this one on my wall. 

IMG_7406.thumb.jpeg.23930a50ac5d60cc5735aa71ba423579.jpeg

On 3/14/2024 at 10:55 PM, Xatari said:

wow. just......freakin.......wow.

On 3/14/2024 at 11:55 PM, Xatari said:

The Capullo Angela went for $18K!

And that's a beauty page - I'll always be trying to find a Capullo Angela. Maybe the surviving member of Milli Vannili has one that I can buy that won't carry the Gaiman Tax.

On 3/15/2024 at 12:33 AM, tth2 said:

I guess we'll find in the upcoming Signature Auction, which once again has a ton of Sandman pages.

Yeah, except none of the pages in the April Heritage auction are of the same calibre as those in the Gaiman auction that just concluded. The one exception is the Jill Thompson Sandman 49 page, which is exceptional. I’m very curious to see where it ends up. 

Edited by jjonahjameson11

On 3/15/2024 at 1:54 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Maybe the surviving member of Milli Vannili has one that I can buy

I'm ignorant of the OA connection other than they are the "Bob Kanes" of their stint in the music industry.

On 3/15/2024 at 1:37 PM, Will_K said:

I'm ignorant of the OA connection other than they are the "Bob Kanes" of their stint in the music industry.

There a pretty good documentary on them, I think on Netflix. Definitely worth watching, even if you’re not into Pop Music