• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When You See a Piece For Sale From Someone You Won't Buy From...
1 1

61 posts in this topic

On 2/20/2024 at 11:08 AM, KirbyCollector said:

I stopped buying from a certain dealer after he took a hard political stance a few years ago. I'd rather support dealers who don't tell me what I should think -- or who to hate.

I had a good friend who was selling a piece...collector to collector....and a dealer/collector who knew the buyer decided to tell the buyer to NOT do the deal because the money might go to support some organization the dealer/collector didn't approve of. Just a wee tad of overreach there. 

On 2/20/2024 at 10:08 AM, KirbyCollector said:

I stopped buying from a certain dealer after he took a hard political stance a few years ago. I'd rather support dealers who don't tell me what I should think -- or who to hate.

If there is one thing in the world that seldom works, it's thinking that your political opinion will actually change an opponents mind.

Political commentary in business - at best - will ingratiate like-minded customers who would be doing business with you anyway, and drive customers away who would have done business with you but don't agree with your now-public personal viewpoint.

We tried once to do a "politically themed" burger with zero personal viewpoints inserted (we attempted to keep it very generic) and the result was people tilting so insanely that they vowed to never do business again with us simply because we did a burger special to showcase the President coming to visit our little town during his campaign. Yes, that's right: people got so lathered up over a cheeseburger that they took the time to write to us at length how they hoped we would die, our employees should be jobless and they would never do business with us ever again. Absolutely psychotic.

Everyone has their political opinion, and that's fine - but we keep it far away from our business' brand.

On 2/21/2024 at 10:21 AM, Dr. Balls said:

If there is one thing in the world that seldom works, it's thinking that your political opinion will actually change an opponents mind.

Political commentary in business - at best - will ingratiate like-minded customers who would be doing business with you anyway, and drive customers away who would have done business with you but don't agree with your now-public personal viewpoint.

We tried once to do a "politically themed" burger with zero personal viewpoints inserted (we attempted to keep it very generic) and the result was people tilting so insanely that they vowed to never do business again with us simply because we did a burger special to showcase the President coming to visit our little town during his campaign. Yes, that's right: people got so lathered up over a cheeseburger that they took the time to write to us at length how they hoped we would die, our employees should be jobless and they would never do business with us ever again. Absolutely psychotic.

Everyone has their political opinion, and that's fine - but we keep it far away from our business' brand.

You should have offered a choice of tomato or grilled onion so that buyers who liked one candidate or the other could express their support or disdain.

On 2/21/2024 at 2:04 PM, cstojano said:

I agree with all these comments about politics and yet find myself trying to infer which side everyone is on :(

That's the joke -- we ARE all on the same side. If you live outside of the US for any extended period of time, you figure that out quickly.

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 2/21/2024 at 1:07 PM, KirbyCollector said:

That's the joke -- we ARE all on the same side.

:headbang:

If we are being honest, most people (not all) will talk endlessly about how they wouldn’t deal with someone because of their past history but when the rubber hits the road they would buy from Hitler if the price was only 2x market value and comment on how much they liked his mustache when they bought the piece from him.  When someone says “hey didn’t Hitler have that for sell?” they will quickly reply “really?  They guy I bought it from must have bought it from him, wish I had known”

On 2/21/2024 at 2:50 PM, batman_fan said:

If we are being honest, most people (not all) will talk endlessly about how they wouldn’t deal with someone because of their past history but when the rubber hits the road they would buy from Hitler if the price was only 2x market value and comment on how much they liked his mustache when they bought the piece from him.  When someone says “hey didn’t Hitler have that for sell?” they will quickly reply “really?  They guy I bought it from must have bought it from him, wish I had known”

It's occurred to me that there are collectors who did buy stolen, pillaged European art from H***er. In spite of all the horrors he unleashed on the world, there are those who, to this day have stolen artwork hidden away in their collections.

I'll stop here. I'd like to believe we will all obey our moral compass, but collecting in and of its nature brings about green eyed monsters within our souls. What are you willing to live with?

Let your conscience be your guide.

Edited by grapeape

This thread really took a horrific turn over the last page...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the long gone Comicart-L boards there was a quote; "No Comic Book Art Is Worth Your Dignity".  While I have zero recollection of who posted that, it has stuck in my head all these years.  Thus I will never deal for example with the Bollocks from Boston or Sewage from San Mateo

Edited by MAR1979

On 2/26/2024 at 5:15 AM, Grant Turner said:

Who is the dealer from Boston? 

I questioned myself too, and supposed the dealer was from North Marshfield (at the south of Boston), but maybe I'm wrong.

Edited by Ecclectica