• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditko Spiderman Pin-up on Comiclink
3 3

175 posts in this topic

On 6/8/2024 at 2:28 AM, 1classics said:

I think we can only attribute this to this cover being recycled at auction and not being held or

Nuh uh. Bondage sells.

:devil:

Actually, you are correct. The turnaround back to the same venue almost always produces a net loss (or hidden buyback, also a loss, just smaller). The only short term method worse is down streaming from Heritage to ComicLink. Why not just slit your wrists horizontally...twice?

On 6/8/2024 at 4:00 AM, vodou said:

Nuh uh. Bondage sells.

Actually, you are correct. The turnaround back to the same venue almost always produces a net loss (or hidden buyback, also a loss, just smaller). The only short term method worse is down streaming from Heritage to ComicLink. Why not just slit your wrists horizontally...twice?

And yet I've talked to a few collectors who have followed this path. They scream to the high heavens that they were screwed over, the auctioneer rushed their lot or didn't give it enough attention. Mind you a few of these were done within a year or less from when they purchased the piece themselves. Madness.

On 6/8/2024 at 4:00 AM, vodou said:

Nuh uh. Bondage sells.

Yeah IMO the bondage aspect sells for WW and not spidey subdued as much. I’m not going to name names but there’s quite a few bigger spidey collectors I know who always prefer spidey in heroic form or in this case coming to the rescue (#205) and or showcasing the villain along with spidey, also (#205). 

Bechara obviously saw value in the other cover going 10% less and sold it shortly after for 32k. And I’m pretty sure it was 32k cuz if you know Bechara, his price is his price. With all that said, if #205 went to Bechara or another dealer and went up for sale for $30-35k privately it would’ve probably sold over time as well. But instead, the opposite happened and we get half the result at auction, just crazy to me. 

Here’s the big question, if the Ditko pinup was put back at auction over the next year or 2, what does it sell for? Half? 2/3? Or does it hold its value overall because of what it is? You need 2, so when you take the one big bidder out, does it dip below $500k?

PS- this is all hypothetical since the spidey pinup isn’t going to auction again, no chance!

Posted (edited)
On 6/8/2024 at 12:03 PM, Kryptic1 said:

Maybe Bechara’s mythical European buyers who pay double FMV really do exist!

You’d be surprised how many people don’t buy at auction and buy privately paying more of a premium. It somewhat baffles me, but it’s true. 

Then again if you simply missed out at auction or were busy, these Sal Spec Spidey covers don’t cone up that often. Post covid (last 5 years) there’s only been 4 spec spidey covers heritage has offered the cheapest being 145 at $20k+ going up to $45k+ for 180 (green goblin) cover, so it’s not every day these covers are readily available. 

Back to the overall subject at hand, same applies to the Ditko Spider-man pinup, good luck trying to find another or get ready to pay similar or above the $600k mark say for the right published splash page!

Edited by 1classics
Added verbiage

On 6/8/2024 at 7:00 AM, vodou said:

Nuh uh. Bondage sells.

Serious question, in every instance that Spidey has a bad guy or super-villain wrapped up in webs, would that count as bondage ??  I mean. maybe there's a premium if it was Mary Jane or the Black Cat in webs.  But in general, do webs count towards bondage ??

On 6/8/2024 at 10:06 PM, Will_K said:

Serious question, in every instance that Spidey has a bad guy or super-villain wrapped up in webs, would that count as bondage ??  I mean. maybe there's a premium if it was Mary Jane or the Black Cat in webs.  But in general, do webs count towards bondage ??

Ask the bondage fans?

There's 12 pages of pieces coming off the one word search on CAF :devil:

On 6/8/2024 at 7:00 AM, vodou said:

Nuh uh. Bondage sells.

What's weird is that in this same auction, the Alex Ross Super Friends TPB cover sold for $21k... less than 3 years after selling for $12k at Clink. That's a nice increase, considering a lot of Ross' DC art hasn't been doing that great at auction.

I was bidding on it, hoping the fairly recent turnaround would result in a similar price, or maybe a slight bump, but it was out of my range by the last day. 

On 6/8/2024 at 3:08 PM, BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES said:

No.  No!  Okay, my mother talked me out of a page, saying it was a Don Heck, then resold it as a Kirby.

Thanks for dredging up that trauma.  

Tell me about your childhood..

On 6/9/2024 at 6:04 AM, fsumavila said:

What's weird is that in this same auction, the Alex Ross Super Friends TPB cover sold for $21k... less than 3 years after selling for $12k at Clink. That's a nice increase, considering a lot of Ross' DC art hasn't been doing that great at auction.

I was bidding on it, hoping the fairly recent turnaround would result in a similar price, or maybe a slight bump, but it was out of my range by the last day. 

You and me both on the Super Friends cover. Truth be told and talking to a few other collectors, the consensus was the buyer a few years back got a good deal. If a couple others from this auction (probably newer collectors or at least people who want Ross Supes / Batman art) thought they had a shot under 20k. Looking at the bidding it looks like there were a few people in that range leading up to auction end. So no other explanation other than a good deal 3 years ago and no one on the other end at that time.

Plus, I do think contrary to the comment above, Ross Supes / Batman art is pretty strong in the marketplace, at least privately. If you’ve been on the hunt the last couple years for a cover with supes and bats front and center you’ll be hard pressed to find one under 25-30k+. So again, I think that was a comp from 3 years ago you have to throw out, it’s a great cover, congrats to the consigner and the buyer on this one. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/9/2024 at 2:11 PM, Xatari said:

Alex has also increased his direct pricing over the last three years by roughly 25%+  from what I’ve seen. 

Agreed and for the right pieces, like this one, I could see even more. I think I just slipped a few years back or me and the other buyer would’ve fought over it closer to 20k back then. I think this was still a good buy at 21k, try to find another cover with the big 3 front and center even in this style, I really “dig” it (in 70’s fashion) 🤣

The infinite crisis cover with supes and Shazam was a good buy too earlier this year, but I personally like this one better. 

Edited by 1classics

On 6/8/2024 at 12:22 AM, 1classics said:

Yeah I’m a fan of Sal Spec Spidey throughout his tenure, but I thought he adapted a unique style during the post Mcfarlane era Spider-Man that was well received at the time. Maybe I’m just biased cuz I was a young teen at the time of this run, but the cover was a memorable one and just surprising it fell far short of expectations. Either way I think you’re right, as just about any Sal Spec Spidey cover of this era at a $15k purchase will be a wise investment over time. 

On a side note, doing some more research Bechara that same auction day in 2022 bought Sal Spec Spidey #145 (chained spidey) for less than this one at $20.4k vs $22.8k for the #205 and then resold it recently for $32k. I guess the moral of the story is for the current buyer to not re-auction over the next couple years and instead continue to hold or perhaps sell privately! 

IMG_9238.jpeg

I've always loved this cover. I remember seeing in on the spin rack at the local Book Emporium and bought it on the spot. Man, I loved Sal's Spidey!

On 2/18/2024 at 5:47 PM, glendgold said:

Wasn't this unpublished pin up the basis for this poster? The poster is clearly drawn by someone else, but it always looked like it was based on a Ditko pose.  Down to the oddball thigh muscles.

1966 ASM poster.jpg

Did the thread answer your question? Isn't the poster art the same Ditko as the CL pin-up?

This glass is Romita though, correct? 

IMG_1145.jpeg

On 6/8/2024 at 1:28 AM, 1classics said:

I just find it interesting that 145 went for roughly $20k in ‘22 and resold privately for $32k recently, which is roughly a 40% gain? Where the 205 went back to auction and took nearly a 40% loss in those 2 years. I think we can only attribute this to this cover being recycled at auction and not being held or sold private, which would obviously be a similar if not higher ask than 145. A tale of 2 covers…

Doesn’t help that it was not fresh to market competing with so many other great fresh to market auction pieces. Bechara, on the other hand, holds steady, holds the price steady. He doesn’t need to sell. Has a huge clientele list. Probably easier to make a cash-trade deal with him in terms of hassle and immediate gratification.

On 6/8/2024 at 2:56 PM, 1classics said:

You’d be surprised how many people don’t buy at auction and buy privately paying more of a premium. It somewhat baffles me, but it’s true. 

Not talking 5 figures here but I pay the premium for bringing it to me first and not the public. Is it really worth missing out on a great piece because you wanted to nickel and dime it at auction? I’m sure these private buyers have had aneurysms over snipers. 

On 6/8/2024 at 9:06 PM, Will_K said:

Marvel would like you to believe it’s webbing. 

To the window! To the wall!

Til sweat drop down my —-

Til all skeet-skeet —-

On 6/9/2024 at 4:11 PM, Xatari said:

Alex has also increased his direct pricing over the last three years by roughly 25%+  from what I’ve seen. 

Alex, or Sal? hm

On 6/8/2024 at 12:19 PM, 1classics said:

if you know Bechara, his price is his price. 

I need Bechara saying this in his own commercial.

On 6/10/2024 at 2:59 PM, TupennyConan said:

Did the thread answer your question? Isn't the poster art the same Ditko as the CL pin-up?

It's similar but, in looking at the limbs, angles, and positioning, the Clink piece isn't the same as the poster. Same idea but a bunch of differences. 

Edited by comix4fun

On 6/8/2024 at 12:03 PM, Kryptic1 said:

Maybe Bechara’s mythical European buyers who pay double FMV really do exist!

I spent a lot of time at Bechara’s table in lake Como Italy. Not only were European buyers not paying double, he had his art priced reasonably. 

If the EU buyers he’s talking about exist, they would have been at Lake Como

I did say on another thread that the European buyers exist, but they are just as price sensitive as Americans