• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman or The Batman?
2 2

27 posts in this topic

You and your two pals are mugging an old lady when someone grabs your buddy and slams him headfirst into the ground.  You turn, and it is the Dark Knight, defender of Gotham. 

As your bowels empty, do you proclaim- Run, it's Batman or Run, it's The Batman?

In the unlikely event he stuck around, does the grateful citizen say Thank you, Batman, or The Batman?

Edited by shadroch

On 2/20/2024 at 1:36 PM, The Commissioner said:

These are the important questions that burden society. 

It's Batman.

As we can find common ground on the minor issues, the major ones become less complex.  Work on issues that unite, not ones that divide. 

I completely respect your opinion, as erroneous as it might be.

Edited by shadroch

On 2/20/2024 at 2:40 PM, shadroch said:

As we can find common ground on the minor issues, the major ones become less complex.  Work on issues that unite, not ones that divide. 

I completely respect your opinion, as erroneous as it might be.

I edited my previous post as I thought more about the question. :foryou:

On 2/20/2024 at 3:05 PM, shadroch said:
On 2/20/2024 at 3:00 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I want to say if you're in a movie, it is Batman, and if in a cartoon, THE Batman..... hm 

...and in real life?

tbh I'm tempted to say regular grammar rules apply, but would most often say Batman or "Bat's" in a pinch :) 

On 2/20/2024 at 3:08 PM, shadroch said:

In the mid-1970s, It seemed like Batman was in his own book, and  The Batman was in Detective.  I don't recall anyone ever saying "It's the Batman and Robin.  If it's The Batman, why not The Robin?

Robin isn't unique. That's why it's the Batman, but only a Robin.

On 2/20/2024 at 5:33 PM, Qalyar said:

Robin isn't unique. That's why it's the Batman, but only a Robin.

If you are saying Robin isn't unique because there have been multiple people as Robin, then the same holds true with Batman.  There have been multiple people as Batman.  Now I haven't bought a Batman comic in 20 years but when I was buying them I don't think (or at least cannot remember) there being 2 (or more) Robins running around at the exact same time.

So I think we need some more clarification on what you mean by your statement.

On 2/21/2024 at 5:08 AM, shadroch said:

In the mid-1970s, It seemed like Batman was in his own book, and  The Batman was in Detective.  I don't recall anyone ever saying "It's the Batman and Robin.  If it's The Batman, why not The Robin?

Its the DYNAMIC DUO !!!:popcorn:

Nah, yall got it wrong.  It's actually:  the "Bat-Man", literally, with the quotes and all, or just the Bat-Man, as per Tec27!   In Tec28, they used these two versions:  the "Bat-Man" and "Bat-Man".  In Tec29, they used THREE versions: the "Bat-Man", the Batman, and Bat-Man.  It wasn't until Tec30 that the quotes and hyphen disappeared and they used just: the Batman.  So when did it become just Batman?   

Edited by Pantodude

I’ve always thought that The Batman sounds more respectful and ominous.

Like The Spectre.