• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spiderman number 1

12 posts in this topic

Hello all, I am new to the site. I have been a collector my entire life 60 years old. I acquired a number one copy of amazing spiderman with no cover in ok shape. I am looking for suggestions as to what to do. Do I sell it like it is? I would love to find someone with a cover and work out a deal beneficial to both. What do you think? 

Edited by RusticPenny

Since you are looking to sell, I would send it in for grading, even though it will grade as NG (No Grade), the authenticity of the book will be verified making it easier to sell. If you find and marry a cover and then send it in for grading the book will receive a Purple Restored or Green Qualified Label since the cover is not original to that book, what the actual grade would be? (shrug)

Welc

On 2/21/2024 at 5:57 AM, RusticPenny said:

Hello all, I am new to the site. I have been a collector my entire life 60 years old. I acquired a number one copy of amazing spiderman with no cover in ok shape. I am looking for suggestions as to what to do. Do I sell it like it is? I would love to find someone with a cover and work out a deal beneficial to both. What do you think? 

Welcome to the boards. 

Spider-man #1 is a wonderful book.  You may not have the cover but it's still an iconic, important comic and a piece of history.  Trying to find someone with a cover to work a deal out might take forever.  Your best bet is to list if for sale and let the buyer decide what to do with it.  He might have just the cover or he might be on a budget and coverless is all he can afford.

If you get it graded it'll probably be worth in the range of $2k.  There are also some GPA results for single pages selling for $100 to $400 each so it might be more profitable to slice it up and sell it - something I'd hate to see.  Not sure what a raw copy would sell for but I wouldn't be surprised if raw copies sell for a similar amount as a graded coverless copy.

I have owned this comic for 40 plus years and bought of a reputable dealer at time. Of course there are no guarantees. I think I will have it sent in. Can they check age verification is my question. 

On 2/22/2024 at 10:17 AM, RusticPenny said:

I have owned this comic for 40 plus years and bought of a reputable dealer at time. Of course there are no guarantees. I think I will have it sent in. Can they check age verification is my question. 

Before you possibly waste time and money sending in a reprint/reproduction, I'd suggest posting some photos of your book on this thread and letting some knowledgeable people take a look at it. 

On 2/22/2024 at 3:56 PM, RusticPenny said:

Here are some pics of the book

IMG_1485.jpeg

IMG_1484.jpeg

IMG_1483.jpeg

IMG_1482.jpeg

IMG_1481.jpeg

IMG_1480.jpeg

just awesome to see !! Mine is enslaved in a slab and I haven't seen real insides for a while - Thanks ! 

Since selling it seems to be the center of your question, my opinion is that you'd MORE THAN make up the grading fees by selling it graded vs. raw, unless you know someone who will pay fair market value for it raw, but then you probably wouldn't be on here asking for opinions. My advice: send it into CGC for encapsulation and list it here first on the boards in a sales thread (saves you any auction fees) with the price you want. If it doesn't sell here, you can try auctioning it on eBay or one of the prominent auction houses. There IS demand for a coverless Spider-Man #1, for sure! Best of luck!  (thumbsu

I don't see where getting it graded will add much of anything. We know what grade it will get. Sending one book to be slabbed costs a bundle, as round-trip shipping eats away at your profit.  Consigning it  raw to a major auction house will establish its authenticity, and your book will reach a much larger audience than the dozen or so members here with the means and desires for a book like that. You want as vast a pool of buyers as possible, even if it costs you a part of the sale.

Legit ASM #1. Recommend u just sell/trade it off as is. Many low budget collectors would be thrilled to have a coverless copy for reading pleasure and historical value. Maybe purchase a laser color copy of the covers and inside cover/ads for about $20?