• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WHAT IF: Stan Lee wasn't working at Marvel/Atlas Comics in 1961?
2 2

167 posts in this topic

On 3/18/2024 at 1:15 PM, Zonker said:

who at that age desperately wanted to avoid the appearance of reading stuff that was too kiddish.  

... I think you're on the right tangent here, but "desperate" is a little extreme and insulting. I read what I liked, and wasn't seeking approval. I still looked at the occasional Dr. Seuss back then, still do. :bigsmile: I personally felt like Stan made us part of something to be proud of, and the other brands just didn't. It was that clubhouse mentality that resonated with me. It seemed the others talked "at" me, while Stan talked "with" me, if that makes any sense. I grew up with Stan and welcomed his presence. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 3/18/2024 at 3:19 PM, jimjum12 said:

"desperate" is a little extreme and insulting.

No offense intended.  :foryou:

Should have said I was speaking for myself.  At that age (11-12) I personally was desperate to grow up and be taken seriously.  Probably eldest child syndrome run amok.  :D

On 3/18/2024 at 10:15 AM, Zonker said:

I have a theory that in addition to all the other points made above (including the dynamic storytelling abilities of Kirby/Ditko/Lee), Stan Lee flattered his audience, talking to them as if they were perhaps more sophisticated than they were.  So, the fact that Stan was out there talking to college audiences might not have done anything to increase the actual readership of the college age crowd, but I suspect it did a lot to increase the brand loyalty of his middle-school readers, who at that age desperately wanted to avoid the appearance of reading stuff that was too kiddish.  

Prior to 1961 it was gospel that a person might read comics prior to puberty but would be expected to dispense with them soon after along with other childish things.  Stan unraveled that narrative so that pre-pubescent readers would, as they got older and more sophisticated and started liking girls, would abandon the childish comics and graduate to Marvels, which depicted real adults with real and relatable problems. 

On 3/18/2024 at 3:31 PM, Zonker said:

No offense intended.  :foryou:

Should have said I was speaking for myself.  At that age (11-12) I personally was desperate to grow up and be taken seriously.  Probably eldest child syndrome run amok.  :D

You're righteous in my book, Bro. At that age I know I was at least desperate for the gals to take me seriously, which they didn't :bigsmile: I don't mean this as condescending, but unless someone was faithfully following Marvel, when Stan was at the helm, they probably won't ever "get" it. To me, my childhood would not have been the same without him ... and that is exactly what I told him, to his face, at Baltimore in 2011. He smiled. I wish I could have hugged him, but I would have probably been shot. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

Posted (edited)

I was thinking about the oft-used canard that without Jack or Steve, Stan Lee never created anything worthwhile, successful, or of note.

Off the top of my head, here's a few characters created or co-created by Stan, sans Ditko or Kirby:

The Black Widow, Hawkeye, Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell), Mephisto, the Mandarin, Ultimo, the Melter, Crimson Dynamo, the Unicorn, Titanium Man, Whiplash, the Kingpin, the Rhino, the Badoon, the Shocker, the Owl, Purple Man, Mr. Fear, the Beetle, the Masked Marauder, Jester, Count Nefaria, the Swordsman, Power Man, the Cobra, Mr. Hyde, Black Knight, the Mimic, the Sons of the Serpent, the Living Laser, the Abomination, Living Tribunal.

Boy, if Stan ever did create anything worthwhile, imagine the list!  :cool:

Edited by Unca Ben