• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WHAT IF: Stan Lee wasn't working at Marvel/Atlas Comics in 1961?
2 2

167 posts in this topic

On 2/23/2024 at 6:25 PM, Prince Namor said:

Were they rejected pages? Did Stan decide Ditko was the right guy for the job? (Even though he clearly WAS). Or did Stan see Kirby's involvement in both the Spider-man idea with Joe Simon, as well as his involvement with Joe Simon on the Fly at Archie as a possible legal issue and THAT was the reason he gave it to Ditko...

From Ditko:

Stan never told me who came up with the idea for SM or for the SM story Kirby was penciling. Stan did tell me SM was a teenager who had a magic ring that transformed him into an adult hero: SM.

I told Stan it sounded like Joe Simon's character, The Fly (1959), that Kirby had some hand in, for Archie Comics. Now here is a Fly/Spider connection. Not in any seeing a fly on a wall but in being told, in hearing, of the connection. And to paraphrase Stan, this connection "may even be the true one" and the other, of seeing a fly on a wall and of someone being transformed from an adult SM (Kirby/? version) into a teenage SM (Lee/Ditko version) and without any magic ring, a falsehood.

Stan called Jack about The Fly. I don't know what was said in that call.

Day(s) later, Stan told me we would be doing SM. I would be pencilling the story panel breakdowns from Stan's synopsis and doing the inking.

Kirby's five pencilled SM story/art pages were rejected. Out went the magic ring, adult SM and whatever legend ideas that SM story would have contained.

which is all from the article that i quoted.  so i know.

the point is, as this clearly states and  as i originally said in my first post, spider-man would have been a rehash of the fly if stan hadn't given the job to ditko.

On 2/24/2024 at 9:28 AM, Unca Ben said:

which is all from the article that i quoted.  so i know.

the point is, as this clearly states and  as i originally said in my first post, spider-man would have been a rehash of the fly if stan hadn't given the job to ditko.

We don't know that because, Joe Simon would've had zero involvement. Kirby was hired as someone brought on to the Fly and even though he gave his ideas, it was Joe's project. And he didn't want to work that way. So we don't know what direction it would've gone. 

It wouldn't have been the same without Stan, I agree. But without Kirby it wouldn't have existed at all. 

On 2/23/2024 at 6:27 PM, Prince Namor said:

Both are examples of affirmation. You just used it to try and put legitimacy to Stan's appeal (which isn't even in question) and I used it to show that a REAL writer, knows and understands real WRITING when he sees it, better than... a Stan Lee apologist.

Nope.  i didn't say that stan reached the masses thru pop culture because the villiage voice said so.  that would be an attempt at appealing to authority. 

and i didn't put the village voice as having a better (more of an authority - get it?) opinion than say, the eye magazine or college campus newsletters (the other examples i listed).

On 2/23/2024 at 9:27 PM, Prince Namor said:

Both are examples of affirmation. You just used it to try and put legitimacy to Stan's appeal (which isn't even in question) and I used it to show that a REAL writer, knows and understands real WRITING when he sees it, better than... a Stan Lee apologist.

Fine words, coming from an armchair Kirby apologist :baiting: GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 2/26/2024 at 8:18 AM, FlyingDonut said:

It is amazing any of us have children.

Not so amazing.

FACT*: Reading Stan Lee comics promotes sperm production.  :manhero:

FACT*: Reading those other comics leads to ED.  :sorry:

:sumo:

Coulda gone the other way, but this is Stan's thread, after all

>but I don't see a Marvel Age without Jack and Steve either. <

The sum is always greater than the parts, in a collaborative art form.  Same can be said about movies. Brando and Pacino made The Godfather a classic - but no Coppolla and it's hard to see it hitting the same level. 

What isn't arguable is that Kirby, Ditko et al were artists, paid by Marvel to produce work.  Stan Lee was an Editor who was paid by Marvel to supervise the artists, the writers, and the product. There are no demons here - there are people doing their jobs.  Sure, everyone who ever has collected a paycheck in any place of work has complained about it not being enough, AND how their superiors are getting unfair credit for their labor or ideas.  That's how business works. I'm sure Stan Lee felt he was underpaid and under-appreciated at times too. 

For me, the Kirby vs Lee or Ditko vs Lee arguments are about the most boring topic in comics. Who really cares. All three of these men have been praised to the high heavens for doing something not THAT notable or earth-shattering - producing funny books. They all got paid, they all got "immortality," such as it is...and again, I don't see any white hats or black ones here. 

Edited by Gambold Vintage

On 2/26/2024 at 5:18 AM, FlyingDonut said:

Who cares? He did. It is amazing any of us have children.

Whoa there, hoss.  I started this as a fun thread, while defending Stan from the outrage journalism propaganda that gets tossed around.  It's not that serious (hence the What If: scenario).  Folks sure like any excuse to insult around here.  :frown:  Speaking of children that's not very adult.

Edited by Unca Ben

On 2/26/2024 at 10:37 PM, namisgr said:

Here, a place for other posters with differing opinions and the space to voice them would be respectful.

Unfortunately, respect may not be on his agenda. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

• Administrator
On 2/26/2024 at 10:37 PM, namisgr said:

Here, a place for other posters with differing opinions and the space to voice them would be respectful.

Done!