• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WHAT IF: Stan Lee wasn't working at Marvel/Atlas Comics in 1961?
2 2

167 posts in this topic

Professionally, I've always tried to stick with "It's incredible how much can be accomplished if no one cares much about who gets the credit."  I've never felt I was made larger by making someone else smaller.  I knew nothing about this struggle for getting most of the credit while reading these stories as a kid.  The three main antagonists have all been diminished in my eyes by the discussion which I'm sure is the opposite of what those pushing the narrative intended.

On 2/21/2024 at 3:33 PM, Unca Ben said:

...and I wrote this praise for Stan without having to character-assassinate Jack Kirby or Steve Ditko!

Imagine!

Couldn’t really disagree with you more, especially in regards to your opinions on the 4th world. If Stan was such a gifted writer, then why hadn’t he succeeded previously while Simon and Kirby created the romance and war genre? If you were 8-12 years old, I’m sure you loved Stan’s “writing”. Kirby’s writing was for a slightly older audience. At best, Lee added a dialogue that worked for characters created by others. To each his own. The dialogue changed drastically over the first two years. The X-men in particular had rather childish dialogue. I’m biased because I came upon the silver age a little later in life. I’m 58 and by the time I started accumulating them, it was all about the art and not the stories. It still is.

I don’t know who wrote the article and it doesn’t really matter as far as I’m concerned. Let me ask you this… did Stan deserve to be paid the full writers pay or should it have been shared with his plotters/artists?

It should also be pointed out that Stan was able to weave story lines into multiple books, which had the effect of not only making them more relevant to each other, but also increasing sales for those readers who wanted to follow the full story arc across multiple titles.

On 2/21/2024 at 7:07 PM, frozentundraguy said:

It should also be pointed out that Stan was able to weave story lines into multiple books, which had the effect of not only making them more relevant to each other, but also increasing sales for those readers who wanted to follow the full story arc across multiple titles.

You didn’t answer my question. As far as weaving stories, he occasionally forgot characters actual first names. Characters he claimed he created. This whole argument really starts and ends with  Lee claiming sole ownership and creatorship or the characters in his fireside origin books. 

Edited by gunsmokin

On 2/21/2024 at 5:04 PM, gunsmokin said:

I don’t know who wrote the article and it doesn’t really matter as far as I’m concerned. Let me ask you this… did Stan deserve to be paid the full writers pay or should it have been shared with his plotters/artists?

It probably depended upon each individual issue.  As a sweeping generalization, I'd say Stan likely deserved the writers pay during the first couple or so years of Marvel and as things progressed and the "Marvel method" became streamlined, guys like Kirby and Ditko and perhaps to some degree Heck and Ayers and perhaps, at least on occasion, Colan and Buscema and Romita likely deserved a share of the writing pay.   Or dividing the writers pay into subdivisions of plotting and / or scripting, which would of had to been done, generally speaking, on an issue-by-issue basis.  But Stan was not going to take a pay cut because his method proved to be successful. 

Al this ignores the reality of what was happening with Marvel at the time.  It was a small group of creators as say compared to the main competition that was the behemoth DC that had multiple editors and writers along with the pencillers, inkers and letterers.  And I'd bet DC's production dept. and support staff was huge compared to Marvel's.   

Like a start-up company competing with a well-established firm.  (which I've experienced). 

In a start-up, workers end up wearing many hats.  And they don't often get paid for all the hats they wear, but paid just for the job description under which they were brought on.  It's the way the company survives and competes - or else no one has a job.  If folks don't like it, then go work for Lockheed or Westinghouse or Cisco.  But when companies like Yahoo! or Google first started, workers whether they were permanent or temp had to do lots of tasks that they weren't being paid for.  Or else no one would have a job.
Now, once the company grows and staff and support departments are added, things can be different.

During the sixties (or at least the early to mid sixties) Marvel was like that start up.  That's mostly the period of time we're discussing, here. 

As Marvel grew Kirby was offered a full time position as art Director and he turned it down.  It was then given to Romita.

Ditko appeared to have a personality conflict with Stan; the issues he has raised in his self-published works revolved around the creation / co-creation of Spidey and Stan receiving credit  for what Ditko thought was his.  I have not ever read Ditko complaining about Stan "stealing" money from him.  Plotting credit, yes.  it's also on record that Ditko didn't feel marvel should return the art he did while under work-for-hire for marvel.  And Ditko being Ditko - would not have refrained from all this if he had felt otherwise.

On 2/21/2024 at 5:13 PM, gunsmokin said:

You didn’t answer my question. As far as weaving stories, he occasionally forgot characters actual first names. Characters he claimed he created. This whole argument really starts and ends with  Lee claiming sole ownership and creatorship or the characters in his fireside origin books. 

You are cherry picking.  In a few letters page at the time, Stan said Ditko create Dr. Strange and brought it to Stan.  In other letter pages and in Bullpen Bulletins, Stan gave plenty of credit to guys like Kirby and Ditko.  He has said this many many times.

Are you basing your claim on  a single source or sources while ignoring all the times that Stan claimed otherwise? 

I just read an early story where Spider-Man was referred to as Superman.

I would cite this as evidence as to how busy Stan was during this period. 
Making a mistake during a creative mess (a creative mess - as opposed to tidy idleness) is not evidence that Stan had nothing to do with character creation.  He co-created so many characters in a short period of time it was hard to keep track given how busy he was, along with the dreaded deadline doom, and editing his own work.

You ever make mistakes that you didn't catch?

On 2/21/2024 at 6:00 PM, gunsmokin said:

There are at least two very good books regarding Kirby’s side of the story that you should consider reading. You seem to believe only what the corporate employee had to say on the matter. 

which books? I have a Kirby Ditko Marvel library.  I probably have those books and have already read them. 

side note: just read the introduction to an old Marvel Masterpieces by either Colan or Heck, I think.  I can't recall exactly.  but the artist mentions receiving lots of plots from Stan, ranging from a few pages to a couple notes.

On 2/21/2024 at 6:02 PM, gunsmokin said:

Our opinions on the matter are so different on the matter, it really seems pointless to argue about it with you. I’ll let Chuck carry the flag from here on out.

Okay.  but I'd like to know which books you were referring to, since you think that I haven't read them.

On 2/21/2024 at 8:05 PM, Unca Ben said:

Okay.  but I'd like to know which books you were referring to, since you think that I haven't read them.

I’d start with this one. The other was given to another boardie. Both written by Michael Hill. I’d also read Dr. Michael Vassolo’s blog regarding Timely/Atlas/Marvel. I’d consider Doc to be the preeminent expert and still some unbiased.

image.jpg