• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question About Pricing A Book With Too Many Sales
3 3

19 posts in this topic

Hey guys I have a question... I just got a book back from CGC yesterday that doesn't have too many previous sales and I want to figure out how to price it. The previous sale for the book was a 9.6 in 2019 for $100.00. I have the book in a 9.8. How would you guys price the book? 

Not sure if the "multi-pack" adds value or not.

Last ebay sales:

12/23 CGC 9.8 $45 (auction had 3 bids)

1/24 CGC 9.6 $54 (best offer not clear)

There are a couple various 9.8s currently on Ebay that have been sitting there for 6mo+ for $180-$300ish.

Even superboy #9 which is the first full appearance doesn't seem to sell for more than $90; I am actually surprised given how popular the character has become.

Edited by DougC

Well I already got a message from someone interested in buying it but I didn't know what to price it at and told him I would get back to him. @DougC where are you seeing those sales? According to Covrprice the last sale for the Zero Hour logo variant was in 2019 for 100 bucks. I don't even see any sales for the 9.8. Were those sales you quoted for the direct edition? When I checked the CGC Census there were only 14 9.8's on there for the Zero Hour logo edition (multipack) on there. 

last sale on GPA comics was 45. You cant necessarily project FMV from sales years ago. image.thumb.png.4f4614c974b648156849a929d4761bad.png

This is the 'trendline' for sales of this issue..the rise in 2021 was due to the pandemic , in which most collectibles rose in price due to overinflated demand. But like most comics the bubble burst as the pandemic ended. If you go to gocollect, you can see an auction for 100 in sept 2023 and then an auction for 45 in dec 2023 (not a good sign) If you follow a statiscal trendline from 2021 and on (a downward sloping line) ..you probably have your asking price between 50 and 75 ...but you can ask anything you want and go into negotation..just dont be surprised if someone wont pay more than 50 for it.

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 2/22/2024 at 11:33 AM, Ed Hanes said:

last sale on GPA comics was 45. You cant necessarily project FMV from sales years ago. image.thumb.png.4f4614c974b648156849a929d4761bad.png

This is the 'trendline' for sales of this issue..the rise in 2021 was due to the pandemic , in which most collectibles rose in price due to overinflated demand. But like most comics the bubble burst as the pandemic ended. If you go to gocollect, you can see an auction for 100 in sept 2023 and then an auction for 45 in dec 2023 (not a good sign) If you follow a statiscal trendline from 2021 and on (a downward sloping line) ..you probably have your asking price between 50 and 75 ...but you can ask anything you want and go into negotation..just dont be surprised if someone wont pay more than 50 for it.

Those sales are for different versions of the same book. I'm taking into account the 2021 Covid bump, but the previous sale for a 9.6 version of the book I'm talking about was several years prior to that. There aren't a lot of sales for this book because there aren't a lot of copies of this book out there. There's a 9.2 of this version of the book on sale on Mycomicshop for $64.00 right now.

Edited by skillzdadirecta

It is a scarce version, but how many people are aware of it and willing to pay big bucks for it?  Many collectors love digging these out of dollar boxes but won't pay huge premiums.  There is a very small fragment of the overall collector's pie that is actively seeking a book like that.  To get top dollar, you have to find them. 

I'd consign it to MCS, put a high price on it and lower it 5% every few weeks so it keeps being listed as new.

On 2/22/2024 at 11:50 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

Those sales are for different versions of the same book. I'm taking into account the 2021 Covid bump, but the previous sale for a 9.6 version of the book I'm talking about was several years prior to that. There aren't a lot of sales for this book because there aren't a lot of copies of this book out there. There's a 9.2 of this version of the book on sale on Mycomicshop for $64.00 right now.

oh I see..my bad...GPA comics has one sale of it for 200 in Jan, 2023

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 2/22/2024 at 12:39 PM, Ed Hanes said:

oh I see..my bad...GPA comics has one sale of it for 200 in Jan, 2023

Interesting... I really need to get a GPA account because I don't see that sale anywhere else. Thanks for the info!

On 2/22/2024 at 12:04 PM, shadroch said:

I'd consign it to MCS, put a high price on it and lower it 5% every few weeks so it keeps being listed as new.

I'm thinking about doing just that. I've had one inquiry so far and I sent him my asking price. We'll see if he accepts. If he doesn't I'll probably just put it on Mycomic shop. I already have a copy of the direct edition for the P.C. Thanks for the feedback fellas!

Edited by skillzdadirecta

On 2/22/2024 at 2:44 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Interesting... I really need to get a GPA account because I don't see that sale anywhere else. Thanks for the info!

I'm thinking about doing just that. I've had one inquiry so far and I sent him my asking price. We'll see if he accepts. If he doesn't I'll probably just put it on Mycomic shop. I already have a copy of the direct edition for the P.C. Thanks for the feedback fellas!

GoCollect too.

Consignment with MCS.