• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pedigree Label for a Modern Comic

4 posts in this topic

Hi all - I know that previously (prior to the special pedigree label color) CGC would not put a pedigree notation on a modern comic even if the comic is from a recognized pedigree. Has that changed in light of the new label?

I have the Curator New Mutants 98. It's currently in a CGC 9.8 slab and I have the certificate identifying it as the curator copy. I would like to have it in the Pedigree Gold Label, if possible. Please let me know whether or not this can be accomplished.

Thank you for your help - Trent

• Administrator

Hello,

Unfortunately, our stance on these pedigrees has not changed. You can review this HERE or below. I am sorry for the inconvenience. 

The collection must be of vintage material:
This means that a large collection consisting of comics from the 1970s to present cannot be considered a pedigree. In fact, until the sale of some key White Mountain books in a Sotheby’s auction in the early 1990s, Silver Age comics were not accepted as pedigree collections. Comic books from 1966 and after are relatively common in high grade compared to earlier issues. This occurred as a direct result of a tremendous explosion in the number of collectors in fandom in the mid-1960s. Collections that are primarily from 1966 and after must have average grades of at least 9.4 to be considered a pedigree.

On 3/5/2024 at 1:28 PM, MattM CS said:

Hello,

Unfortunately, our stance on these pedigrees has not changed. You can review this HERE or below. I am sorry for the inconvenience. 

The collection must be of vintage material:
This means that a large collection consisting of comics from the 1970s to present cannot be considered a pedigree. In fact, until the sale of some key White Mountain books in a Sotheby’s auction in the early 1990s, Silver Age comics were not accepted as pedigree collections. Comic books from 1966 and after are relatively common in high grade compared to earlier issues. This occurred as a direct result of a tremendous explosion in the number of collectors in fandom in the mid-1960s. Collections that are primarily from 1966 and after must have average grades of at least 9.4 to be considered a pedigree.

Hi thanks for answering, but that wasn't exactly the question asked. The comic is from a recognized pedigree (Curator), but it is in a blue universal label without label notation. If I submit it for a re-holder, will it be in a gold pedigree label?

I have a pedigree comic from the Savannah Collection, I have the COA from Heritage Auctions, how do I submit it for grading for a gold label? Do I send the COA, and if so will it be returned with the slabbed book? Thanks again in advance.