• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Me Your Prelims
2 2

74 posts in this topic

Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Vol. 3 - Update'89 #2 : Ecstasy (rejected prelim) by Mike Vosburg

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1754502

Spider-Man: The Jackal Files #1, page 19 (1995) - The Vulture (rejected prelim) by Dan Lawlis

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1753954

Wiz #59 cover project : Spider-Man and Doctor Strange by Simone Bianchi

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=810869

Edited by Mycroft

On 3/5/2024 at 3:38 PM, furthur said:

here is another prelim that is rarely seen (plenty of Frazetta prelims out there, but ever seen one for Johnny Comet? This one is actually on the back of a Johnny Comet and only after owning it for several years did someone point out to me that it was a preliminary drawing of a figure that appears about two weeks later in the continuity. Hell, I was just happy to get such a fine example of Frazetta's famous signature-art all by itself IMG_1132.JPG.89fa1a88dce0e922ba334f72f8d56b7e.JPG

Worthy.

On 3/6/2024 at 7:58 AM, ThothAmon said:

The great Earl Norem definitely had a process whereby he turned out magazine covers at an astonishing rate. It began with a crayon colored drawing on crepe paper he would get approval for and then use to overhead project onto board for assisting with final painting. 

IMG_1384.jpeg

IMG_1385.jpeg

Thanx you. I love seeing as much of the creative process as possible to display. Such a talent that man Earl Norem.

Mike Grell was at a small con with great guests in Baytown, TX - Eastern Rim Comic Con. He had this piece and the print made from it. On the CAF in the gallery of Georg Schell there are two more versions.

Georg was the original commissioner. He bought a finished and colored commission that Mike turned into a print. As part of the process, Mike sent him a scan of the pencils which he then inked and colored. James inked a scan of the pencils. So, here is the full progression. Click the image to go to the correct CAF page.

My Prelim by Mike Grell                Georg Schell's pencils         Georg Schell's inked             Print                                      Inks on pencil scan
                                                      by Mike Grell                       & colored by Grell                                                                by James Pascoe
image.thumb.jpeg.014f2a8d93b9bc7aa2a46a90a7459003.jpegimage.jpeg.4cbb341c574b57151987b059315b0cdc.jpegimage.jpeg.dfd258283fa2e1e40dc26e086792580f.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.310b1607c7424e62eb7db2ee4759260f.jpegimage.jpeg.d061da2d9925133706799aaa7ef05abc.jpeg

Edited by alxjhnsn

On 3/10/2024 at 4:28 PM, alxjhnsn said:

Mike Grell was at a small con with great guests in Baytown, TX - Eastern Rim Comic Con. He had this piece and the print made from it. On the CAF in the gallery of Georg Schell there are two more versions. I don't know the story of how it went from my preliminary to the print, but I've asked Georg, but haven't heard back. In any case, here they are. Click the image to go to the correct CAF page.

My Prelim                                      Georg Schell's Inks by          Georg Schell's inked             Print
                                                      James Pascoe                       colored by Grell (?)
image.thumb.jpeg.014f2a8d93b9bc7aa2a46a90a7459003.jpegimage.jpeg.d061da2d9925133706799aaa7ef05abc.jpegimage.jpeg.dfd258283fa2e1e40dc26e086792580f.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.310b1607c7424e62eb7db2ee4759260f.jpeg

Alex, when you hear something please let us know. That "prelim" is better than the completed efforts of many an artist. Of course we are talking about the great Mike Grell, so noy so surprising!

On 3/11/2024 at 8:08 AM, alxjhnsn said:

@grapeape, I've updated my post with the final pencils. I still have two questions outstanding - "Did Mike ink and color the pencils?" Yeah, I'm nosy.

I've updated it again with a little more information. Enjoy.

On 3/14/2024 at 8:18 PM, drdroom said:

This might be the prelim of the prelim, but its for a memorable cover, so I'll take it. It's either Romita (who did the final) or Buscema (who drew on the other side of the board).

Screen Shot 2024-03-14 at 8.11.35 PM.png

silver_surfer_vol_1_5.jpeg

I swear to you, I would've been able to identify that prelim without any context or google search. A memorable SS cover to say the least.

On 3/14/2024 at 9:01 PM, Brian Peck said:

How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way cover prelim by John Buscema 

image.thumb.jpeg.b7e27c5572e8f588acd2379edc56adf4.jpeg

Vampirella #82 cover prelim unpublished

image.thumb.jpeg.e044a6a2073f26cc53966b398f2852b1.jpeg

Warren 1994 #14 cover prelim unpublished

image.thumb.jpeg.72533ad45cfc62d30e047d32408c1ecc.jpeg

Holy s#*+. Where to start? Okay, why is that Warren piece not a published cover? The Vampy, by Gulacy (I'm a huge admirer of his work) I love the yin/yang Silver Strike touches, The menacing forces behind a lithe, come hither and die deliciously Vampy and the Crusader shielded man who looks like he's courageously out of his element. Impressive.

Now..... John Buscema. Prelim..... to a book every true comic fan has seen and read through. I love the colored in heroes,(is that acrylic crayon?) The penciled Spidey is John's very impressive take that we saw in Silver Surfer 15. A truly worthy piece of art that simultaneously connects to the history of how a  legend sees the heroes through the stages of concept to finish.

I have quite a few.

Lady Death cover prelim by Ivan Reis

A couple of War of Superman pages by Eddy Barrows

Wonder Woman prelim by Ben Caldwell

Batman Confidential page by Kevin Maguire

A Green Arrow page by Mike Mayhew

Couple of prelims by Alan Davis (Cap and X-Men Schism)

Hawkman prelims by Ryan Sook

and finally a Cover prelim by Kevin Nowlan.

ld.jpg

sm2.jpg

sum.jpg

ww.jpeg

bmc.jpg

ga.jpg

schsm.jpg

cap7.jpg

hm3.jpg

hm2.jpg

hm1.jpg

world's finest.jpg

I don't own any of this art, but it's cool to see the progression from Marie's prelim to the published cover. All of the art work came up for sale or was in the CAF at the same time.

Marie's Prelim                       Jack's pencils                       Frank's ink on Jack's pencils Published cover
image.thumb.jpeg.d05bf80cbb260c0a28fa6312f69006a6.jpeg

Similar to the Skull the Slayer piece, I collected this sequence. The "Legion of Super-Heroes" series was three issues long and reprinted stories from Adventure. It was a trial balloon at new Legion stories.

I'd love to be able to add a scan of the inks if anyone has one.

Curt's cover wasn't bad, but Carmine's is much more dynamic. The funny thing about the cover is the fleeing figure of Phantom Girl - who SB couldn't hurt.

Swan's original cover          Infantino's layout                        Cardy's pencils                  Published cover
image.thumb.jpeg.f44f6f2c40b78887d062895d9091bfa9.jpeg

A relatively recent acquisition found at the bottom of a bag or so I was told. I currently have it under some very large books to see if it will flatten and allow a better scan.

I don't own the comic, but I'll fix that shortly.

I do wonder if the OA survived somewhere. It dates to 1969 which is before art returns, but he seemed to get a lot of his art back.

Click image to enlarge.
image.thumb.jpeg.66f42de7a95bd5e1fc48da322e3b45d4.jpeg

Edited by alxjhnsn