• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Impact of corner crease on Grade?
1 1

2 posts in this topic

Despite having purchased the CGC Grading Guide and researching elsewhere, I am having difficulty assessing the impact of a single small color-breaking corner crease on an otherwise 9.2/9.4 book?  That is: What is the highest/limiting grade that one can logically expect for an otherwise very-high-grade book with a 1/2" color-breaking corner crease?

How would this be expected to change for a smaller 1/4" crease?  A larger 1-inch crease?

Thank you

• Administrator

Hello @DK1,

Unfortunately, without the book in hand for our graders to review, we can not confirm the final grade of the book described. This is because the book must be reviewed as a whole. If the book without the crease would receive a 9.2/9.4 an additional crease that runs 1/2 inch would be significant. I have attached an excerpt from the grading guide I am sure you already reviewed but this is one of the better explanations of what to look for and consider. Additionally, please check out pages 286-289 for more information about creases this size as well as some examples. I hope this helps. Thanks for your understanding. 

Excerpt Page: 148

In addition to its location and severity, a crease's effect on grade is determined by its length, or in the case of multiple creases, accumulated length. A diagonal one-inch crease that breaks color on the front cover can lower a grade to 8.0, while the same length of crease along the edge of the back cover can achieve 8.5. A reader's crease the full length of a comic book's spine will be treated less severely than a subscription crease of the same length through the middle of the cover. If that subscription crease is heavily hinged, its impact on grades will be even more severe.