• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Clearly Dropping books
4 4

18 posts in this topic

So, I got this email today from a rep. at CGC.

Thank you for your recent submission. Our graders asked me to reach out to you regarding this order. Unfortunately, when this package was opened our team noticed there was shipping damage to the books (see image below). Some of the books have received a corner crunch on the backing boards resulting in some of the books having received shipping damage. Before we can proceed with this order, we will need you to confirm how you would like us to proceed. Please select one of the options below.

Submission was a 15 book 9.8 pre-screen with MANY brand new books. They included a link to the damage.

Here's the part I find interesting...

Also a part of this SAME order were 3 books submitted for standard modern tier grading. Oddly, those books did not receive any of the "shipping damage" and are being graded. It's almost like someone dropped the stack of 9.8 pre-screen books after my package was opened and the two grading tiers were separated to different locations at CGC.

Also, isn't it CGC's policy to reject a package if it appears to have been damaged in shipping? For this sort of damage to have happened, there would have been clear signs of damage to the outside of the package. I have asked CGC for pictures of my original packaging to show any damage that occurred in transit. I suspect that they will not be able to produce such an image as the original package will already have been "disposed of".

Really ready to make the switch to CBCS. This is the second such issue in the last three submissions for me.

4391660- Shipping Damage.jpg

On 3/4/2024 at 5:53 PM, Gaard said:

Don't you know by now? CGC employees have NEVER dropped a stack of books. I don't care if they tout that they've graded millions of books. They've NEVER dropped a single one.

Yes, they have special velcro suits.

Letterman in a Suit of Velcro on Make a GIF

-bc

I'd venture to say that you are probably correct. 

The package didn't arrive damaged. 

The order was received and divided according to grading tier. 

At some point, they dropped or other how damaged your pre-screens. The other ones were fine. 

How did you pack them? Were the books sorted according to tier? Did you have one stack bundled for pre-screen with the other stack bundled separately? 

On 3/4/2024 at 3:07 PM, newshane said:

I'd venture to say that you are probably correct. 

The package didn't arrive damaged. 

The order was received and divided according to grading tier. 

At some point, they dropped or other how damaged your pre-screens. The other ones were fine. 

How did you pack them? Were the books sorted according to tier? Did you have one stack bundled for pre-screen with the other stack bundled separately? 

Packaged in two separate bundles, each with cardboard front and back and blue painter taped together. Sorted by grading tier.

On 3/4/2024 at 5:11 PM, Guy D. Corp said:

Packaged in two separate bundles, each with cardboard front and back and blue painter taped together. Sorted by grading tier.

There you go. 

Sounds like a convenient lie to me. 

They know the chances of a lawsuit or claim are slim to none. Cheaper to simply absorb the cost. 

I would demand pics of the damaged package. 

This will become a finger pointing situation.

CGC is saying damage in transit, not covered under their insurance. The delivery company will say it arrived intact, so not their responsibility. The packaging is probably in the dumpster already, so no forensics. Submitter is left holding a pile of...

On 3/4/2024 at 6:55 PM, Lightning55 said:

This will become a finger pointing situation.

CGC is saying damage in transit, not covered under their insurance. The delivery company will say it arrived intact, so not their responsibility. The packaging is probably in the dumpster already, so no forensics. Submitter is left holding a pile of...

Exactly.

Oddly, CGC rep. did share this today:
"The outside of the box had no visible but when we opened the box the corner crunches were there. "

Still not worth fighting them over it. I'm going to send a small test batch submission to CBCS and see how things go... tight after I call CGC and cancel my membership!

On 3/5/2024 at 8:17 AM, Guy D. Corp said:

Exactly.

Oddly, CGC rep. did share this today:
"The outside of the box had no visible but when we opened the box the corner crunches were there. "

Still not worth fighting them over it. I'm going to send a small test batch submission to CBCS and see how things go... tight after I call CGC and cancel my membership!

At least with CGC you can pick up the phone and get a live person in customer service, good luck with that with CBCS. I saw up on the grading fence for years, never had a bad thing to say about CGC or CBCS but went with CBCS for most of my grading needs. Sadly their service and quality has dropped considerably since Beckett bought them. It has been a nightmare dealing with them and I was hoping I would never had to say that but it's reality.

On 3/5/2024 at 2:50 PM, ramithard said:

clearly they dropped them....why on earth would you mail them that way?.....that box would have needed to be busted up big time....why not just admit the drop?

Admit to being human, or clearly showing yourselves as liars. Which would you choose?  (shrug)

On 3/4/2024 at 5:53 PM, Gaard said:

Don't you know by now? CGC employees have NEVER dropped a stack of books. I don't care if they tout that they've graded millions of books. They've NEVER dropped a single one.

Most likely they slid off their desk. 

Edited by joeypost

On 3/5/2024 at 11:50 AM, ramithard said:

clearly they dropped them....why on earth would you mail them that way?.....that box would have needed to be busted up big time....why not just admit the drop?

It has to have happened AFTER they opened it with correct packaging. 

Books stacked face to face.  Taped together with painter's tape with buddy tabs.  Between two pieces of cardboard, taped together with buddy tabs.  In a comic mailer, bundle taped down with packing tape with buddy tabs.  Sealed tight, with packing tape and buddy tabs.  Wrapped in bubble wrap and placed inside another box with enough bubble wrap to severely restrict movement.

Yet somehow several books have the same corner crunch, or a freshly pressed 9.4+ book comes back as a 6.5 due to a FULL cover length DIAGONAL bend (luckily not color breaking).

image.gif.3c7ba5211280c7b556583cd59d058f1f.gif

At least they unpacked your books to have the opportunity to drop them, they could have "accidentally" left half the books in the box and fed them to the trash compactor while trying to gaslight you into believing you never sent them.... but that wouldn't happen...:devil: