• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Point Five's 5th Annual Grading Contest: ROUND 2 BOOKS!
7 7

65 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

5. Battlefront #15

Oy oy. I am honestly sorry. 

This book was a HUGE miss for me... I thought 4.0 when I submitted it or I likely wouldn't have bothered. I can only guess that the spine is extremely weak, hence the spine splits, chips, and the cover wrap being either completely pulled through at the staples or a whisker away from it. There's also that weird big tear midway through the spine, suggesting more splitting and what I assume is kind of a peekaboo window there if you picked up on that. Whatever. This must be the nicest-looking 2.5 in human history.  doh! 

battlefront15slab.jpg

Edited by Point Five

On 3/11/2024 at 10:10 PM, Point Five said:

5. Battlefront #15

Oy oy. I am honestly sorry. 

This book was a HUGE miss for me... I thought 4.0 when I submitted it or I likely wouldn't have bothered. I can only guess that the spine is extremely weak, hence the spine splits, chips, and the cover wrap being either completely pulled through at the staples or a whisker away from it. There's also that weird big tear midway through the spine, suggesting more splitting and kind of a peekaboo window there if you picked up on that. Whatever. This must be the nicest-looking 2.5 in human history.  doh! 

battlefront15slab.jpg

I also had 4.0. The other way eh…good to know 

On 3/11/2024 at 8:09 PM, flashlites said:

Whelp I guess it really does pay to spend more than 60 seconds grading a comic :roflmao:

I learned that during Mike's last contest. :tonofbricks:

lol that was a roller coaster. I nailed the first two exact and then this... Had it at a 4.5 for -1 point :ohnoez:

On 3/9/2024 at 8:23 PM, Point Five said:

5. Battlefront #15

[graders notes]
moderate spine splits to cover
moderate tears to cover

It's not CGC rubric, but I'll reference this from time to time.

Screenshot_20220131-000247_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ace866d3137f5c76bffa30a75ef121d8.jpg

I was a grade off. I figured "moderate spine split" probably meant a combined 1.5 to maybe 2 inches so the book would land in the GD/GD+ range.

Almost everyone took a pretty major hit this round. Congrats to the lucky few that advanced relatively unscathed.

Round 3 starts shortly. Four books this time. (More pain! More gain!)