• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have Paperbacks become the “next big thing”?
1 1

95 posts in this topic

On 3/16/2024 at 9:22 PM, jimjum12 said:

I've got this one and am looking for the other two in similar shape, to no avail. They're out there, just not the pretty ones. To use your AF 15 analogy, why sell for $150 when the coolness of it far exceeds that? My problem is, disposable income is at an all-time low for me, but I do have more time to look ... recipe for frustration :bigsmile: I'm tempted to get decent ones and upgrade, but sure enough, the right copy will pop up as soon as I'm tapped out. I know, first world problem. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

... it's real pretty, but gloss isn't total, but not bad. 

FqQLE1w.jpg

Want list updated. 

On 3/16/2024 at 8:18 PM, jimjum12 said:

What a collection to be proud of :cloud9: and you're still not finished ...

I think you may have misunderstood me re:survival rates. as I'm certainly not saying what you have there is common. What I meant was that I have seen many yard sales and estate auctions and they almost always have paperbacks and other books, while comics are typically non existent. Used paperbacks were plentiful enough that an entire industry based on buy/sell/trade emerged in almost all decent size cities. People will often re-read a book so they are perceived as having value beyond a one time use. Comics were typically tossed when they began to accumulate in children's rooms, and that was the target audience through much of their heyday, the period when the valuable stuff was coming out. My point was mostly that PB's targeted adults who often keep and care for things, while vintage comics(before 1969) are less represented. Judy still has tons of her paperbacks from her whole life, mostly well read, and she even introduced me to some of my favorite authors with those very same well loved copies. My point was to not dive in like comics, as the paperback pool is much deeper and diverse. Ian put together a complete DC collection. I doubt seriously that anyone will ever have every PB ever, I'm not sure an accurate list of them all is even possible. I love books, always have, I just want the hobby to be healthy and astute without the burnout that comes with something that got too hot too fast. Again, thanks for everything you contribute. I'd be lost without it, swimming way over my head. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbsu

All Love Jim :foryou: I know you weren't knocking anything as common. I just think your reasoning is a little skewed because you see lots of vintage pbs out there:

"What I meant was that I have seen many yard sales and estate auctions and they almost always have paperbacks and other books, while comics are typically non existent." - this is because every grandma knows her Dippity Duck #392 in VG is worth $55 and she pulls it and puts it in a mylar, it doesn't make it to the estate sale. Old paperbacks are junk thrown in a box. I remember back in the early 1990's hanging around in my LCS and fathers buying multiples of Valiants and saying they were putting them away for their kids college fund.

"Used paperbacks were plentiful enough that an entire industry based on buy/sell/trade emerged in almost all decent size cities."  - so were comics and comic book shops, including many hybrid pb/comic shops. PB's were 50 cents loose and getting beat up on shelves and comics were in bags and boards and $1 > the moon and the proprietor would throw you out the store if you were bending them (and kept the good ones behind the counter)

"My point was mostly that PB's targeted adults who often keep and care for things, while vintage comics(before 1969) are less represented. Judy still has tons of her paperbacks from her whole life, mostly well read, and she even introduced me to some of my favorite authors with those very same well loved copies."  - think about what you said there - adults keep things better but Judy's are well read. hm Not knocking Judy :foryou: I have the same books from my life of reading, but adults didn't care for pbs, they were stuck in jacket pockets and purses, they were worth the words and paper printed on.

I think what is happening is that you have a perception that vintage pb's are more common because you can still find them relatively inexpensively, while the truth is that there just hasn't been, and there isn't anywhere near the demand, especially from condition conscious collectors, so they are not all scooped up into collections or sitting in high end comic shops so you can still find some in the wild or on the web at decent prices and even find awesome classics at cheap prices if the seller has no clue.

We've had this discussion on the main thread a few times in the past - that it would only take a very small increase in demand to dry up the supply of really good vintage pbs. I hope it doesn't happen until I find the rest of the stuff I'm looking for :tonofbricks:

Edited by Surfing Alien

On 3/16/2024 at 9:22 PM, jimjum12 said:

I've got this one and am looking for the other two in similar shape, to no avail. They're out there, just not the pretty ones. To use your AF 15 analogy, why sell for $150 when the coolness of it far exceeds that? My problem is, disposable income is at an all-time low for me, but I do have more time to look ... recipe for frustration :bigsmile: I'm tempted to get decent ones and upgrade, but sure enough, the right copy will pop up as soon as I'm tapped out. I know, first world problem. GOD BLESS ...

... it's real pretty, but gloss isn't total, but not bad. 

FqQLE1w.jpg

That's a proud copy. Any copy without a lot of creasing is tough(thumbsu

On 3/16/2024 at 9:36 PM, Surfing Alien said:

I think what is happening is that you have a perception that vintage pb's are more common because you can still find them relatively inexpensively, while the truth is that there just hasn't been, and there isn't anywhere near the demand, especially from condition conscious collectors, so they are not all scooped up into collections or sitting in high end comic shops so you can still find some in the wild or on the web at decent prices and even find awesome classics at cheap prices if the seller has no clue.

We've had this discussion on the main thread a few times in the past - that it would only take a very small increase in demand to dry up the supply of really good vintage pbs. I hope it doesn't happen until I find the rest of the stuff I'm looking for :tonofbricks:

It's a case of internet saturation. Comics may not have ever exploded to the point they did if their "flash point" had occurred during the internet era ... things people thought were rare just weren't. Then again, the ubiquitousness of the internet can alter a perception of rarity... say if there are 10 on ebay, but that's all 10 available, it seems readily available, but as you say, that can quickly change. They could disappear overnight. I certainly find more and more of them that I just wouldn't sell for 30 books, they're just too cool. One thing I've noticed, from a personal perspective, my tastes have morphed considerably in even a few years. The number of genres in comics may be a half dozen, where there may be a hundred in paperbacks. I'm actually becoming overloaded by how many things are on my watch lists ... so much quality, so little time and money. It's like a cornucopia. Some of the very coolest stuff is on sites that you tipped me off to ... I'm definitely not complaining, but I'm trying to unlearn my comic collecting mentality, as it isn't always conducive to my situation. It's still the most fun I've had in a while, with comics the bloom had dropped for me, possibly more "sour grapes" than anything else, but the thrill was gone. GOD BLESS ... 

It's an interesting conversation, and I agree with points all around.  Randall's right that there was a realization long ago that comics might be worth something.  At the same time there's a of collectors out there, and demand for some books is stoopid high even as the print runs were stoopid high. 

And that's one of the about comics for me.  Personally, I don't want a super common book.  First appearance of so and so from the 70s or 80s.  If there's half a million copies out there, idgaf. Really, I don't.  I covet that GA romance book that maybe there's 50 copies of (shrug) 

It's one (of many) reasons I collect girlie pulps.  There's dozens of issues I've never seen for sale.  Ever.  And Issues I've never even seen images for.  I suspect there's a handful of bastards out there with amazing collections of the girlies under lock and key, but it's not like they seem to come to market unless somebody dies (excuse the macabre truth there, but for real). Magazines?  They can be so, so scarce.  There's no recognition of value like comics and no automatic reverence that a "book" gets.  They were made to be disposable in the first place. 

But on the reverence for books, even paperbacks - I think a lot of people (like me) make a lifelong habit of hauling all their books around, many never coming out of boxes.  I've reached the point in my life where I'm thinning down my belongings (access to all things digital helps with this) but there's still books that I'll hold on to just because they aren't worth getting rid of.  Just to say, I bet there are a TON of vintage paperbacks in attics across America, especially in boomer attics in places where space isn't at a premium (most of America).   In great shape after all these years?  Probably not.  They might look good, though lol

On 3/16/2024 at 11:34 PM, Darwination said:

But on the reverence for books, even paperbacks - I think a lot of people (like me) make a lifelong habit of hauling all their books around, many never coming out of boxes.  I've reached the point in my life where I'm thinning down my belongings (access to all things digital helps with this) but there's still books that I'll hold on to just because they aren't worth getting rid of.  Just to say, I bet there are a TON of vintage paperbacks in attics across America, especially in boomer attics in places where space isn't at a premium (most of America).   In great shape after all these years?  Probably not.  They might look good, though lol

Many good points, but it's too easy to slosh the years around. From what age are the books you've hauled around? Boomers were born in the late 1940's - 60's. They weren't buying 1940's or even 1950's pbs. Those were bought by folks born in the 1920's and 30's, who are 99% not of this earth any longer. Those estate sales are mostly long past and the paperbacks associated with them deemed low value at the time.  I suspect there's very few copies of golden age paperbacks in Boomer attics. Maybe there's 1960's & 70's pb's since that's what Boomers bought but even those, again, were only sentimentally valued, unlike (maybe) hardbacks, which were considered to have prestige.

Hmm, dunno if it quite works like that.  I think a lot of my pbs are 60s and 70s editions bought secondhand as a young man as well as plenty from the 80s and 90s in terms paperback editions of classics picked up in my schooling years.  As for the old-time pulpsters I know (boomers), it's fair to say they're probably sitting on a ton of 50s pbs (that I'd guess they bought secondhand as I did). I've tended to buy first editions when they come out in hardcover, but a lot of my trade in used books is paperbacks (not 100% true).  Definitely fair to say I've discriminated against the poor paperbacks (up in the hot attic, coffee mug rings on their covers, covered in notes and highlighter)...

Posted (edited)
On 3/19/2024 at 11:04 PM, adamstrange said:

Avon Paperback Earthman.jpg

Avon Paperbacks Metal.jpg

Avon Paperback Ship Ishtar.jpg

Avon Paperbacks Fantasy.jpg

All very pretty! Many years ago when I discovered PBs, Avons were my favorites. But it got to the point where I just had two many and the prices started going locally so high I sold off a lot to buy comics instead. I could also at that time still find plenty out in “the wild” to replace them.

I saw several copies of “Earthman” and “Ship of Ishtar” in nice grade at the PB show last weekend. I was surprised to see the prices were still quite reasonable and nothing like the rising prices of comics from back when I sold mine.

Never seen that Sat Evening Post book though…(thumbsu

Edited by Robot Man