• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Insider: Publisher Defects Putting Modern books under the microscope.
3 3

29 posts in this topic

On 3/12/2024 at 12:47 PM, Gonzimodo said:

"the video is magnified quite a bit on those closeups" vs. "appear to be perfect to the human eye."

Apples vs. oranges?

On 3/13/2024 at 9:06 PM, Tom789 said:

Apples vs. oranges?

Yeah, probably, although when I went back and rewatched parts of the video, they aren't magnified that much... :shiftyeyes:

I think I'm just being too harsh.  Someone must have peed in my Cheerios that day. :sick:

I really enjoyed the video. 

The storyline, as I see it, is that even with modern books direct from manufacturing not all books are 9.8, and the 9.9s and especially 10.0s are hard to come by.  Not a bad choice of messaging. 

I hope they do more like this down the road. The biggest question that I have is based on my own experience - I have submitting hundreds of books that hit 9.8 but none so far that reached 9.9 or 10.0. I know it is (or at least was) possible based on older books in the census that could not have been sent to CGC direct from manufacturing but still reached those levels. I've had one or two along the way that I was convinced had a good shot at landing at 9.9 but they never got there, so basically I am wondering what I was missing in those cases. This video helps a bit but I am not sure you can compare books straight out of the box like the ones in the video to older ones that reached 9.9 or up. 

On 3/15/2024 at 3:09 PM, Stefan_W said:

I've had one or two along the way that I was convinced had a good shot at landing at 9.9 but they never got there, so basically I am wondering what I was missing in those cases.

:whistle:

Slipping in a $100 bill at the centerfold with a note saying 9.9 please.  

Now it makes sense why I’ve cracked THREE newsstand slabs that had Mark Jeweler inserts not noted on the label. They don’t even have the time to open the books. 

CGC literally is just grading the cover. My buddy sent in a ASM300 with four torn pages and still got a 9.8.

And it also makes sense why I’ve gotten back multiple books with fingerprints and finger bends.

On 3/11/2024 at 11:57 AM, dbcn said:

This is great - really nice visibility into some of the inside processes.

I'm no CGC grader, but at 10:53, and 10:57, he's supposedly showing us a perfect, gem 10.0, but unless I'm missing something, there's a fold on the right hand side of the cover:

image.thumb.png.74defc08ba42a0755eb6aa0ae39aac55.png

It looks to me like one of the clouds of the cover art.